Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most effective methods of selling a hot rod now days

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gofaster, Jan 18, 2011.

1. gofaster

gofaster
    from georgia

Just got some news today that is going to make it necessary to sell my 56 Chevy. I don't want to but I have to think of my families well being before my wants and pride.

Have any of you guys sold a car in the past 6 months and if so, what/where was the most effective method?

Realistically my car would be in the mid 20K range. My experience with sites like Craigslist (at least the Atlanta area) was that it worked ok for inexspensive items (dirt bikes and mountain bikes) but really brought out the tire kickers and the guys that wanted to trade mules and guns.

Classic Car Trader? Ebay? This is my first rodeo when it comes to selling a really nice hot rod. Any input would be appreciated.

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Try here. It's free and you're selling to a friendly audience that would appreciate your nice-lookin' and even better runnin' 210!

3. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

hate to say it.... but ebay is the easiest and most sure way. You are protected from buyers who don't show, and you have a huge audience. If you need to sell it quick, that's the way to go. Plus now they have a new format. It's free to list the car (except for extra pictures/options) and only if it sells do you have to pay the final value fee ($125). Not bad for a garanteed sale and such exposure. If I had to move a vehicle quick, that's what I'd do.

I know others will disagree.

4. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

ebay? mautofied? autotrader? local postings at the grocery store, put the word out, ive sold so much stuff because of word of mouth

5. fms427

fms427

I agree with Ebay. I sell mostly road race cars in that price range, and that is the only place I've gotten action. Gives you a broader audience you need with a special vehicle.

6. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I just sold a few vehicles on Ebay and don't plan on ever doing it again. I had 3 people retract bids for bullshit reasons. Ebay lists reasons you can retract bids and you basically just pick one weather it's true or not and Ebay supports the buyers decision. Then I had a guy win a car that he bid on it over 7 times and won it then messaged me right after the auction and said he's not buying it, his wife won't let him or some crap like that. Try and sell it locally or word of mouth unless you have to dump it quick then Ebay would be my last resort.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Ebay will get the most eyeballs. be sure to include your telephone number so people can call you if it doesn't meet your reserve. I've bought and sold cars doing this. Buyers want to talk to sellers to feel them out.

8. CME1

CME1

Hotrodhotline.com. I have sold 10 hotrods & customs in the past 10 years useing this site. Great people to work with and they are car people. Check their site out, you will not be sorry.

9. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

In my experience in the last six months, there is NO good way of selling a car. Everyone is still looking for that rare one of a kind barn find that they can steal.

Ebay bids will usually get you up to about 70%-80% of the cars value, or at least this economic times value.
    Craigslist will get you hundreds of tire kickers, bogus emails and probably a buyer or two. I sold my last three cars on Craigslist, and got about 70% of what I would have gotten 4-5 years ago.

In my opinion , the hapless buyers of yesterday are gone. People who are buying cars today are a lot more picky and a lot less free with their money.

10. put a realistic price on it and put in the hamb classifieds

11. 39Dodge

39Dodge

I have used the publication OLD CARS WEEKLY and ROUNDUP to buy and sell here in Ohio, they both have wide distribution,

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

change that to "only if it gets a bid above reserve". car ain't sold until the money changes hands and ebay does not give a shit if they pay or not.

13. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

I just sold my 66 chevelle on eBay and got 83% of what I thought it was worth.... but it was SO EASY! and fast....

14. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

HAMB Classifieds or Ebay

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Here and ebay There the only 2 ,Craigslist gets cheap buyers and most sellers arent truthful .So Thats what I think ,Thats why you find deals on craigslist ,I dont even look ...

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

17. Squablow

Squablow

It's going to be hell selling any old car for the next 2 months or so. When tax returns come out and the snow melts, there will be a lot more interest. There have been some insane deals on Craigslist over the past couple months since the snow fell, I've bought several, high priced stuff seems to be on there in perpetuity.

eBay works, but just plan on running the auction 3 or 4 times before you find a buyer, even if the auction ends with a winning bid. Probably half the buyers never show up, or they show up and try to negotiate a different price. You'll see a lot of cars sold on eBay just to be relisted a week or two later, a high bid does not equal a sale.

I love Tri-5 Chevys and I have several, but a $25K '56 will have to be a very, very nice car to actually sell. Very few buyers in that price range and they have a lot to choose from.

My suggestion is, if you can, hold onto the car until spring, then advertise it all over, with very good pictures and a very honest description. Also bring it to the big car shows and post it for sale there. If you need to sell it in the next month or so, plan on taking a big hit.

18. titus

titus

Ive always had my best luck here on the hamb, sold a couple of cars on ebay too.

JEFF

19. Look for local car clubs and advertise in their newsletters.

Charlie Stephens

20. Da Flash

Da Flash

OK Kids,
    One of the most trusted places on the net is Hotrodhotline. I sold two fairly high dollar cars in December!!!!! People are out there that want a good car that they can identify with. They are car folks and really help you out. Need to talk to them for advice about one of their customers that you may want to buy from and you can do it. There is always someone in the office to help you. Most of the rest of the sights are just jerking your chain. The JJ sight is really good too, but HRHL covers a larger group of lookers.
    thats my piece
    Da Flash

21. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

at least you were brave enough to say it....

22. brad chevy

brad chevy

Just punch up free antique aoto classifieds.com and all the sites will show up.Tri-5s is the best because those guys are more into them and as far as E-bay I wouldn"t put my mother-in-law on there and I really want to get rid of her!

23. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Ebay has a local classified section too .... you may try listing it there.

I sold one on Ebay auction style and took a deposit. The guy came from out of state with a trailer, looked it over and said it wasn't what he was looking for. I kept his rather large deposit! If you don't have the time to play the eBay game then I would suggest you go with the classifieds and as many other free sites to list it.

24. Mercchev

Mercchev

Sold several cars by listing on ebay in the last three years. You get LOTS of exposure there, and usually the deal happens off site with a few phone calls...(one from Australia!) Maybe try puting an ad in with Eckler's Chevy Classics (used to be Classic Chevy Magazine). There is a dedicated Tri-5 audience there. Hemmings maybe?

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I have a car listed on the HAMB classifieds, and an O/T car on craigslist. Problem with C-list is the fake offers, or smut vendors, so I specify "no emails". Use my cel# instead.

26. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Old Cars Weekly News & Marketplace and Hemmings Motor News. Hemmings listings are also available online.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here because it's free and you are already on here. Hotrod hotline if you go with a paid add. As some of the others said it hits a big market and reaches the people looking for certain cars.

The Ebay local classifieds seem to work too and may be a better way than running it at auction.

Still the car has to be able to sell it's self and be something that others are willing to pony up the price for and not be so personalized that it turns people away.

28. Italianrich

Italianrich

I like looking at the hamb classifieds, i find the price on some of the junk amusing. you have to look for a decent deal. hard. ebay is risky, i sold 2 vehicles on there, specify cash upon pickup, and have them do an immediate deposit with paypal, that will show their sincerity. good luck!

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

Forget eBay. Nothing sells on eBay as the reserve price is never met because no one wants to pay too much. After the eBay auction closes your phone will ring off the hook provided your # is on the listing. I always listed my phone # with the statement call me if you have any questions before bidding. Every Nut Job in the country will call you. No more eBay for me. Besides why pay them? I'm with Da Flash in recommending the Hotrod Hotline who I've also used. Not too expensive for a six month listing and gets a lot of exposure. They are very helpful in setting up the ad and posting pictures. My last two cars sales of what I call fairly high dollar were a nightmare. Dealing with Wanabees who have no intention of buying and those with a POS to trade will drive you nuts. One of the best ways as far as I'm concerned is take the car to a large event like GG or NSRA. That way anyone interested can see the car right then and there. Trannyman puts it the best " there is NO easy way to sell a car." Good luck.

30. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas