Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods well Im a father and I got the talk from my wife...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Jan 17, 2011.

1. bamaheel

bamaheel

Congrats on the kid, wait untill you have 4 running around and have some sport practice, piano, boy scouts, etc every day of the week!

My list would be something like:

32 three window
    36 convertible sedan
    42 mercury woodie
    57 olds hardtop wagon

2. kids.... got to love em,,,, it is like doing your home work and it goes quick!

sold the race car a few months before my second daughter was born,,, kept my 35 and 39,,,,slowed way down on cruise nights,, car show ,swap meets killed me to go to the track as a spectator...but well worth it in the long run,,, a junior in colledge and a junior in high school...built and kept another project.. took about 5 years,,,,,working on another slowly... starting to think about a partner in another race car for kicks,,,maybe maybe not....

3. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

aaggie, you have a true understanding of what's important. My wife passed away about 7 months ago. Our son graduates this spring, and I'd give anything if she were here to see it.

Hot rods are great, they're fun, I love them and will likely never outgrow them. But after the last couple of years, they have now taken their proper place on my priority list.

Saints: Congrats!! What a milestone. And it sounds to me as though your wife has a pretty level head!

My list:
    1) '36 Ford 3-window
    2) '27 T roadster on Deuce rails
    3) '39 or '40 Ford Deluxe coupe (had one! One out of three ain't bad, I guess.... :)

4. mr818

mr818
    from svf

man i thought i was the only one that the wife gives crap to.. well i have 5 bikes one car and when ever i have a little bit of extra money i try to to get parts to finish my 51 shoebox that i started 3 years ago. my little dude was born 16 month ago and man its change my life ever sense he was born i haven't touch the car there is not enough hours for me to play with the car. i wouldn't change anything oh well except for my wife always telling me to stop buying parts.
    51 shoebox
    57 bel air 2 door
    32 sedan
    and im sure ill dream of more

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

27 Ford coupe W 392 Hemi 8-71 blown color Jade
    34 Ford Full fendered Nail head Black
    57 Oldsmobile Black and gold, Bone stock and lucious
    69 stang fastback triple black supercharged 514 and a tremec

6. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Wow, "the talk".... I think the majority of married hot rodders hear it at one point or another. I've been married twice, have five kids total....my family has always been my number one priority.... Hot rods have always came second....that sure hasn't stop me from collecting a shit load of cars or spending a ton of time at the race track, IMHO the key is to making it work is to know your priorities..... Enjoy your son, they are young once, cars will be there forever....

7. Bucket List:
    '55 Chevy 2dr Post Gasser
    '54 Chevy Custom
    '35-36 Ford
    '33-34 Lakes style Coupe

8. ham-boned-ford

ham-boned-ford

Congrats on the new baby.

My list:

72 Pantera
    62 Galaxie with a 406
    57 Ford F100
    57 Ford 2 Door post

9. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

Congrats on the son! i hope he gets the same "bug" you've got for cars. Keep his ass out of trouble!

10. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

congrats on the baby

i second that....i almost got married this past year and im still getting screwed from the deal

11. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

34 Ford 5 window coupe
    56 Chevy 2 dr Belair Hardtop
    32 Ford Pickup

12. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

yea, kids are great, but when your old like me, you can waste what ever you want on your cars, that's how you get 11, met my loving wife Vicki Nova at a Cruise Inn, her in her 72 Nova SS, parked right in the middle of our Falcon Club!

Her and my babies are 23 years, so she has 5 hot rods.....

You time will come too, enjoy the kids while you have them, it will be gone in a blink of an eye....keep a rod, so the kid will know, just scale back for the next 20 or so years....

13. choptvan

choptvan

Exactly. I have 5 kids and still have every car I have come across cheap enough. They range in the ages of 11,8,7,4 and 1 month. Why get rid of everything again? I do not understand that.

Congrats on the kid. Cool feeling aint it?!

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I certainly to not know a fraction of what I need to know or should know about being a Dad. I'd hate to come across as a "know it all" because that's one of our biggest frustrations with having friends that have kids before we did. they all told me how it was going to be and what I was going to have to do. And you know what? They were kind of wrong in terms of how we brought the baby into the world and how we're approaching out parenting. If I know one thing, it's there's no one way to raise kids and if it's in your gut (or more your wife or girlfriends gut) instinct then 99% of the time it right for the child. That and you are never prepared for all the work that lies a head but also that you could ever love something so much in this world.

As for as me and Memphis doing everything together that's going to be the truth. We are planning on taking him to the Roundup next year I think, and I can't wait. It's going to be awesome and I'm just really grateful that I have him in my life.

No idea how to get a boy. I was hoping for a girl before I had him but now I couldn't see it any other way. I hope the nest one is a boy as well!

Having Kids rules.
    Having Kids and a Hot Rod? Well that's going to rule.:D

15. davidh73750

davidh73750

sounds like your gf/wife is pretty cool. I remember in college not having an old car and reading magazines at the checkout where the girl I was dating worked. She said I wish they would crush all old cars. We didnt have an argument but I walked out of the store and thought this will never work and within a week were no longer. My son's mother and I still do things car related. Its easy to make it a family thing and she does have some interest. I took her to Dewey last year and she had a really good time.
    I paid off my 55 post bel air and told her dont ask what I paid.
    My car list is
    69 camaro (haveinprogress)
    65 chevelle (have back burner)
    55 210 4dr
    55 bel air 2dr post(just got been wanting one for 5 years)
    52 chevy 2dr(frame laying tail dragger in future)
    I'd also love to do a wagon. a 59 to 61 chevy or gm.

16. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Congrats on the little one (and thanks for starting a cool thread). My lovely wife and I will be celebrating our 6 month anniversary shortly. She couldn't be any more supportive of the old car thing and I'm reminded every day of what a lucky man I am.
    Before we were even engaged we agreed on "the list" just as you have.

-my current o/t late 60's truck and Buick-she accepts them as members of the family and won't let me even consider selling them.
    -Model A sedan (current project)
    -'63 Bel Air (soon to be project)
    -'32 Ford five-window
    -'40 Ford coupe
    -'53-'54 Bel Air

(It's funny how many people's lists include both a '39-'40 coupe and a '53-'54 Chevys.)

17. movingviolation

movingviolation

Geesh i may have married her sister!

My wife knows that the few toys i own or tinker with make me happy and they dont place a strain on our relationship or finances. We do as we please within reason and never put the hobby before the real issues. With one driver one at 50% and another in a holding pattern, she has no issues!

Now to the list...

29 chev (my first love was old chevs) own & drive
    28 Rpu (my 50%'r) Just like the looks of them in the sods. Own
    40 Willys .....( some day....some day )My dream car

I have a 28 sedan that was there for me to purchase for a great price so.... it had to come home.

I knew who i married and she knew who she married.

18. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

What Ryan said.......Oh and congrats!

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

Ryan is right,.... Eventually there will be a nagging voice in your own head,.. (and it will sound just like you) And when the family needs a vacation, sports equipment for the kids, new furniture,.... even a huge vet bill from a sick family dog because you can't stand to see all the heartache and your family tore up (especially the kids) over a lousy mutt. and the money has to be knocked out of nowhere,...... That little voice in your head will be telling you,... ("common,.. we really don't need that car,.... its just some rusty steel",....)

Recently my son needed to close on a house for his family,.... and I am once again on the look out for a car to replace the empty spot on my car bucket list. and couldn't be happier.:) It's our job,... it's what we do.

As the years go flying by, and you little ones turn into adults, I couldn't imagine one of them or my wife doing without something they needed or wanted, because a car meant more to me than they did,.... In the end, I would much rather them remember me as a good Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend & Christian than just a car guy.

This ain't no dress rehearsal, And the clock is ticking,.... Make every moment count with the ones you love. IMHO

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  20. First thing's first....family comes first...always. That being said, comprimise is the healthiest way to deal with issues that come about. I think that Ryan was right in saying that you'll experience a natural priority shift as time goes on anyway. Not to say that you should give up on any of your dream cars....just make sure you stay focused on the projects in front of you and get down to business.

Alot of guys get lost in the packrat mode and lose focus on their projects at hand. I've had plenty of opportunities and urges to pick up parts and cars over time, just cuz they're a good deal, but always remind myself that I've got a project in pieces in the garage.

Sometimes family members that aren't car people look at these unfinished projects as not only a waste of time and money, but they focus on the fact that if you did take the time to finish them all, you'd have no time for them.

We all have to be careful that we don't become "that guy" ....you know 50-60 years old, no hotrod on the road, 10 unfinished old shit boxes in our yard, wife kids and friends that think you're a joke...and whenever some young guy with a dream comes looking to buy a junker, you tell them that you're gonna fix em all up some day.

HAHA, we've all visited "that guy" more than once. lol

Might be more of a fine line that we think....:)

21. When I first read that line about getting 'the talk', I thought you meant 'the snip';):D:):D

As discussed, your priorities will (should) change, but in a good way, with you being more focussed, so the 'bucket list' is a good thing.

for me....(with utmost priority on the first 2, purely because I've already experienced the last 2)

33/34 3 window coupe (with blown Hemi)
    28 RPU (4/71 blown 8BA)
    50 Merc
    28 roadster

In a scary kinda way, having a list/goal keeps one within reality (despite the frustration), as it will happen slowly, but worth the wait/effort.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

22. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

You mean your wives talk to you?????????

23. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Well said.

24. ChadMartin11

ChadMartin11
    from NC

It goes way too fast! Enjoy everything. My 5 year old wants to be Taylor Swift and my 2 year old is Hellbent on being a potty-trained big girl.... Never thought I would miss changing diapers so much. I just brought her home......yesterday?... Damn where does it go?

25. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I hear you man! I have girls, 20 and 17, and a boy 11 yrs old. I don't know where the time went. Enjoy every age and moment with your kids!

I did not have a hobby car for a long time because of time and money. No regrets, my family comes first. I got my Acadian about 4 yrs ago. I'll have lots of time to work on old cars when I retire.

26. tgd61

tgd61

so many wives are a PIA.. so i got rid of mine. now I have many cars he he...even if money is not at issue, which of course then we can all understand their concerns if it is and priorities and raising kids should be most important, but many just have control issues..fun when you date em' they are fun and love ours hobby then they want to become your mother too, instead of your wife..nuts I tell ya! nag nag nag...

27. fbama73

fbama73

Sometimes, it works the other way around. I spent the first ten years of my daughter's life putting ALL of my old car desires on the backburner for the family.

Then last year, the wife and daughter come to me and say "You're getting your Father's Day present early this year. You won't do this for yourself, so we saved up some cash (hands me an envelope)- go get a project car."

They're not bad, for white chicks :)

28. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Well my wife is gone now, and if I can get a better attorney and have a financial future, I need a list like this and I have been thinking about it.

1) A roadster, can be a glass 32 or a glass or real model A
    2) 56 Buick
    3) Model A truck
    4) 65 Buick Gran Sport hard top 4 speed
    5) T bucket

Reality, I may be moving the T bucket way up the list just because I can afford to buy one or build a Speedway version for fairly low money and I need to get my daughter and I back into a car as soon as I can when I get to the other side of this mess.

Oh, and I need a truck for things like getting car parts or towing a car home so I need about a 1950 ford.
    I know that's more cars than you said, but then again I am without a wife now and if I replace her, I am going to have an understanding with the next one.
    I need cars, you will NOT have a horse!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  29. scratchtown

scratchtown

My ol lady actually incourages me to follow my dreams and love of cars she doesnt mind my car or the basement full of parts she is the greatest guess im just lucky but so are you 3 cars lucky dog i only have room for one

30. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto
    from Joliet, IL

I call my project heap "the mistress" to my wife. I don't think she gets that yet!

67 Skylark, probably powered with some crazy 455 and paired with a 4L80
    1st gen Econoline, 6er replaced with something like the Vortec 4200 (hells yeah)
    87 GN (yeah I know not HAMB friendly but hey awesome car)
    International Harvester truck (grandfather had one that was custom painted) Perhaps a flatehead, but fuel injected and turbo for a modern twist. Maybe a really odd engine like a 215 fireball V8 or a Rover V8.
    and then a pre-war wildcard as determined by the vestiges of fate (I'm a huge believer in the vestiges of fate) Engine and powertrain to be determined in a like wise manner.