Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 Ford Grilles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Soul, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

Hey guys so I finally got some extra cash together and starting to shop around for a 32 Ford grille shell. Was hoping to get a little feedback on what an original one costs these days. I've seen them on ebay but never when I had any cash. Now I'm ready to pull the trigger..at least it can hang in my apartment until I find the rest of it.

I'm also sure there are a few guys out there hoarding them so I would love to see pics of your collection.

Thanks!!!

2. gtkane

gtkane

A rough one is worth more than my whole build!

3. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

Is a grand too much to pay?

4. 562roadster

562roadster

A grand is about what they go for. Original ones anyway.

5. I haven't seen a nice original one for a grand in several years. HRP

6. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

Just picked up a super nice one with original insert and stainless band for $1000.00.Saw one for $1600.00 at Hershey.Still had it on the last day.By that I'm guessing the average price for a good original is around $1000.00.

7. tinmann

tinmann

I've got a few as wall hangers........
    [​IMG]
    ...... I think the most I've ever paid is $100 to $200. And no, none are for sale.

8. You certainly get credit for being willing to step up & pay for an original.

A nice reproduction can be had for $600 though. Without a doubt, you can use the other $400 somewhere else if you're building a '32!

JH

9. NealinCA

NealinCA

Are you looking for unfilled radiator cap and uncut sides? Complete with insert, rear SS trim band, bezel and emblem? All of those add up...

Last month there was a nice complete one that stalled out twice in the $850 range, reserve not met. Week before that one was listed...another sold for $1600. $1000-1200 seems to be the norm though. I bought my first 32 shell for $45. Shoulda bought more...

Neal

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I bought many repos and The best one is gearheadworld ,Not fatrodder shells ,An original insert fits these perfectly ,I sold one to pat pryor and also one to ridin dirty ,I also sold one in primer but that was from fatrodder ,and that one was alot of work relief cuts ,Reworked areas around insert ,,,,Sold a bob drake and the buyer had to rework and relief cuts ,Also had glass ones too and Moon was horrible early 70's The best glass one is wescotts .................. Originals are the best ,But to find a mint one you will pay ,Inserts are a crap shoot ,Dont believe what they say .I personally would use gearheadworld I picked up a rough original Ill have the bodywork done in a few weeks Figured Id put that out there for 500

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I tryed all the repros, but there is no substitute for an original. Everything just goes together better with a gennie. It's worth the extra IMHO.

12. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

Thanks for all the info. I'm definitely planning on investing in an original..just wanted to make sure I don't get taken for a ride. It'll make a nice wall hanger until the rest of the coupe is built.

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

True, so TRUE :D

[​IMG]

I have sold a few 32 shells in the past year. I have NOT sold any under $1200. A few SOLD for 15 hundred but they were NICE.

[​IMG]

I would imagine that the swap meet in Pomona would be a good place to look. Every time I go to the LA Roadsters show ... I see 6 or 8 there for sale. They ran a grand or more :)

14. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

Man those are nice!

Yeah I actually went to Pomona this past weekend, walked the whole swapmeet and not even a single 32 grille. I was really surprised.

15. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

I paid $160 for a NOS shell without insert and that was two years ago. They can be found but it all depends how much of a hurry you are in

16. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

Yeah I here ya but I'm lookin for one with a miles on it and a story.

17. synchro7

synchro7

I bought the original deuce shell and grill on my model A in 1971 for $21.00. It still had shiny paint on it.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

The very first car part I ever got was a '32 grille incert, swapped the floormats out of my Dad's new 1961 Ford for it. I was 10 years old at the time. It has been hanging on my wall for 50 years, is that some sort of '32 Ford record?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  19. I just checked completed listings. Originals seem to be selling in the 850 range on ebay currently. I want a OG one REALLY bad. But it will blow my "budget build" oh well...some other car will get one.

20. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Funny how so many parts out there sell for more than the car they came on sold for new!!

21. or for about the same as what I paid for my coupe body!

22. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

Looks like they make really nice wall art all patina'd up!

23. casper

casper

I have bought 3 really nice ones in the last 2 months. prices average between $1,000. to $1,200.

24. 067chevy

067chevy

I paid $200.00 for this one last year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. I really don't need another 32 shell but I'll double your money!:D HRP

26. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

... You caught someone sleeping....

27. 067chevy

067chevy

It was on craigslist as motel t parts.

28. NealinCA

NealinCA

Can't we all be so lucky...Nice score! I am looking for one with patina like that for my sedan...

Neal

29. All this talk of cheap 32 shells is giving me hope. :p The Hitchhiker coupe really needs a OG 32 shell for $200 bucks or so. ;)