Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey All you east texas peeps....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodder9102, Jan 9, 2011.

1. hotrodder9102

hotrodder9102

Whats up fellas? Quick question, I read on another site that someone was trying to get a new dragstrip built between Tyler and Longview on I-20. Anyone else out there heard of this?

2. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Where did you hear that I hope its true I love me some drag racing!!

3. hotrodder9102

hotrodder9102

Nailhead...You ever go to oldwestracing.com? I read it there, its mostly a website for east texas guys, so there is a ton of local gossip on there. There is a thread on there thats quite long, it will take you a bit to read it all, but very interesting. If you cant locate it, give me a "holla" and I will send you a link to the thread. -Lee

4. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

I am in Longview and i have not heard of anything like that. Not saying it isn't true but the guys in Drag Racing i know haven't mentioned anything about it. I wish they would put one in. Since they tore down Hallsville Dragway we have no place to go locally anymore.

5. hotrodder9102

hotrodder9102

Zack, Im with you....ever since the demise of Hallsville, and now Rusk, we have no place to go locally. I read it on the oldwest racing site. Sure would be nice if it were true, but I'm not getting my hopes up!!!

6. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Hey, that reminds me, whatever happened to ol Rustyshit from Longview? He had some cool stuff.

7. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

I think a new strip would do well around the Tyler/Longview area. There are quite a few racers who go to Red River or Paris who are from this area. A little off topic but i am considering putting on a car show in Longview in the spring. We need more activity around here for our rodders. I will post an official thread once i get everything sorta out.

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

I hope the rumor is true.

9. go to Dibol. Nice track in East Texas , I question the ambulance because it has mud grips and a trailer hitch out back . Just kiddin !

http://www.pinevalleyracing.com/

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I remember a year and half or so back, there was a posting about the Hallsville track being for sale, and a lot of HAMBERS wanting to go in and buy it. Well, it should have been done; even I was onboard, and I live in Washington State (went to X-Ray school in Tyler though). At least there's still a lot of flat land in that area, and another drag strip should be viable. Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. BISHOP

BISHOP

The Hallsville track is a trailer park now.

12. txcr13

txcr13

I would like to see a track back in East Texas. Years ago my younger brother and I ran a D Gas '55 Chevy sedan for a few seasons at I-20. It had a 301 SBC with six 2-barrels on a crossram manifold, stock rear with welded spiders and 5:13 gears and a Muncie. The Dacus Brothers B-Gas Anglia was top of the heap when we ran there.
    We also ran a few times at the old Tyler-Whitehouse strip. T-W was the first place I ever saw a 409 Chevy and 413 Dodge run. Oh man...to go back and do it all again...at that age!!!

13. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

It has been over 20 years since I had been to Hallsville , did not realize it was all closed up, that is a shame... My dad use to race outside Tyler at a dragstrip I believe in the early 60's ? Can't remember the name but it is long gone now.

14. txcr13

txcr13

The strip near Tyler was almost certainly I-20 Raceway.

The little strip really did have some awesome funny cars come there for match races. I remember Gene Snow brought his original Rambunctious car there just after he had altered the wheel base. He hadn't even had time to have the rear fender wells repainted. He had it on an open trailer and my brother and I helped him push it back on after the last race.

Also the CKC Chevy II from San Antonio was there a few times. Still one of the most awesome sounding Chevy engines I have ever heard. One night when the CKC car launched, it stood STRAIGHT UP on the rear bumper, and sparks flew everywhere. He got out of it, it went down and bounced twice, and he immediately nailed it and it went straight up on the bumper again! The crowd went nuts!

Kelly "The Professor" Chadwick, Clester "Wickershamn Ford" Andrews, "The Prosecutor" hemi out of New Orleans, Roland Swan and some cars from Dallas area came there for match races. The seats on the pit side were right up real close to the track and it was damn near like you were in the car.

One night when the gas classes were running, a racer who I don't remember did a burnout past the lights, and then backed into the staged position, but he forgot to take it out of reverse. When the light turned green, he dropped the hammer and rocketed backwards into Pete Porter's beautiful little yellow Willys gasser coupe which was a couple of car lengths back behind in the staging lane. What a shame. It didn't total Pete's car, but it was a sad sight to see.