Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old-timers - single-wire spark plugs??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Downs, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

OK, I didn't really know how to start this topic so now if I've got your attention, can you help me out?

I remember seeing an engine in a car magazine late 50's / early 60's, I think it was a Hemi in a 'Barris-type' custom with ONE SINGLE spark plug wire running to the 4 plugs on each head. At the time I couldn't figure out how in the hell it could possibly run (maybe it didn't)

Do any of you other old-timers remember that engine, or am I having a major 'senior moment'? And if the thing did exist, how could it run?

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

All plugs fired together. It had a small combustion chamber at the plug hole that would only light the main cylinder when it had enough air/fuel so it didn't fire early.

3. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Thanks - do you remember the car?

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

i don't know if it's "the" car you're looking for, but there is a blue t-bucket in andy southard jr's book Hot Rods & Customs of the 60's, page 81, owner is Charles Miller, car named "Pointless" running a buick nailhead.

5. I believe the car you are referring to was a Model A coupe named,"Alazan"and it had a Lincoln engine with some crazy assed induction system on it consisting of a bunch of small tubes.Never did figure it out.I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it.

6. TSKieffer

TSKieffer

Here is a picture of the "Alazan"..

Attached Files:

7. I have a Rod & Custom that featured that car on the cover as having a "mystery motor", you had to flip to one of the back pages to find out what it was.

8. Bobsportcar

Bobsportcar
    from California

My Dad owned the Alazan in the early 60's when we lived in Chicago. It had a all chrome engine & fur carpet( even in the trunk).I have a hot rod Mag. with pictures in it.I'll dig it out & post some pics.

9. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

There was an article on how to do this in Custom Car sometime in 1967 I think. Could have been '65 or '66.

10. Could be a wasted spark system that fires all the plugs every time they hit TDC. Used in many production vehicles like A Series Citroens and Harleys. I believe that many modern computerised ignition systems work this way too.

11. Larry T

Larry T

As usual, I'm probably wrong, but I seem to remember a metalflake green T with a nailhead in it, setup that way.
    Take it for what it's worth.
    Larry T