Register now to get rid of these ads!

Okay, let see some Cammers!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69supercj, Aug 3, 2010.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

I know a lot of people using a 427 SOHC as drivers!! That chain length is the least of your problems.You nailed the biggest issue,COST!!! JMO,ROY.

2. Dan859

Dan859

Roy, I agree about cost. It's like $40K to build one. Even when you get past that, you still have to address how you define "driver". I was talking to Mark about putting a cammer in my Comet, which I think would be absolutely cool. But, then I have to drive it from Texas to Upstate NY. The more we talked about it, it just didn't sound like something I wanted to do. I could just see something happening on the way and being out in the middle of nowhere trying to get parts. A stroked 427 with HR heads and a dual quad intake gives me all the horsepower I want, pretty much as much as a SOHC. Plus if it breaks down along the way, I can get parts/repairs pretty easily. Not so much with the SOHC.
    Having said that, if I was just planning on driving around town with it, I'd be much more inclined to go with the SOHC. It's one thing to call your brother to come tow you home when you're 15 miles away, another when you're 1500 :).

3. Back in the day when they first came out they were $10,000 in the crate, never were cheap. 10 grand back then was alot of money.

No wonder you find Chevy Motors in every kind of car at shows LOL.

If I had the bucks to spend, a Cammer would be my choice.:cool:

4. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

There's a valve cover in that photograph? :D

5. Do Good Jr.

Do Good Jr.
    from texas

didn't get any pics of the mustang. basic 67 mustang nothing really special about it except the motor,the engine was bad ass and have never seen one in person,so the engine got all my attention

6. goford51

goford51
    from griffin ga

Went for my first drive today.

that is a bad ass ride very cool

7. SOHC427

SOHC427

Do Good, that 67 has some of my rockers on it.. I'd like to see mote of the car!
    Eric

8. Eric,

You said it, that IS as close as Eddie is gonna get to a Cammer. One would be seriously nasty in the Willys.............

Johnnie.

9. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

speaking of cammers, try building one of these

[​IMG]

10. 65COMET

65COMET

The blue F-100 with the Cammer with yellow VCs is driven long distances and so is the blue 41 Ford.The 41 drove from Northern Ca. to Oklahoma,to Texas and back to Ca.Then driven from Northern Ca. to Arizona and back,never has left him stranded.The 41 has a four speed,air conditioning and gets 12 mpg! Not your average daily driver but an AWESOME engine! ROY.

11. SOHC427

SOHC427

Johnnie, I stand corrected. Ed rubs his balls on every SOHC he sees, and looses all pride, and blader control, around them, as well.

Now when he reads this, maybe he will start posting a bit more, and get his wagon together, with a Cammer.

What's it gonna cost me to own that Willys??
    Eric

12. greaserzombie

greaserzombie

One more just to say, gotta have one if I get rich before I die. I've never even seen one in real life, maybe one day I will.

13. SOHC427

SOHC427

greaserzombie, head to Bakersfeild, CA for the CHRR, and there is always a handful, there.
    Eric

14. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Nope. I'll build a FED with it after i sell my first born.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Ok, Well thanks for the engine pic... I got it stashed in my files with the rest of them.. :D

16. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

here's one from the Mid America FORD meet in Tulsa from a few years ago. S/S Mustang.

[​IMG]

17. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

This Bad A$$ Comet deserves another look!

18. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I know it's not what we're talking about but a "Cool" looking substitute for those of us who don't have the real thing.
    [​IMG]

19. Eric,

I sent Eddie the thread, so he can't say he hasn't seen it. As far as the Willys goes, PM me if you are serious.

Johnnie.

20. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

This one resides in the MalcoGasser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a couple I pulled from the Kodak shoebox file from under the bed...Saw these in Charlotte a few years back....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  22. That 55 effie has to really haul ass with 650 hp that cammer is putting out.

Deuces likes this.
  23. cavemag

cavemag

24. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Oh This is so awesome...

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Sadly the owner of that white 64 Fairlane passed away last week.He was a great guy and had a few cammer powered cars. ROY

26. Hopefully you Cammer Guys can help me.

Back in the late 60's there was a Pro Stock car Called the Hummer.
    The Mustang was a 1968 coupe.

My dad got the car in the mid 70's. It was in great shape & ran.

He never raced it however, he did take it on the street, in Canoga Park Corbin & Parthenia. He jumped on it hard, when the car hit 3rd gear it went sideways, he almost lost it. (I think he had to change his shorts after, I know I did)

The Mustang was blue with lettering that said THE HUMMER along the body.

427 Cammer, 2 660 center squarters carbs, 514 Gears, Torque Flite Trans with a clutch, I think they called it a Clutch Flite, 10" meats on the rear end.

I guess the car just ran the Local Strips in Southern Cal.

I just thought someone would know something about the car & maybe have a pic.

This thread has brought back old memories.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  27. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

So, how many cammer engines were made?

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Not enough. :(

Deuces likes this.
  29. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I don't think anyone really knows the exact answer, but supposedly about 500 complete engine assemblies (as that was the amount NASCAR required for homologation), and about another 500 cylinder head assemblies were produced.

The interesting question is how many of those motors did guys like Ed Pink, Don Prudhomme, and Connie Kallita fragment when they started pouring the nitro to them. The Cammer was well known for "releasing" the crankshaft with a bit too much nitro, despite being a cross bolted Y-block.

30. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

Does this car still have the Bull Bag hanging from the rear view mirror?

Do you know Roy?