Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help I.D. This early Ford trans and other stuff I got for free....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Whats wierd is it has the large 39-up shift collar....Someone hodge-podged that tranny together. The good news is the tower should be a 39. Look on the front of the big fork. If the part number is 91A-7230 then it's the 39 tower. Get a good side loader trans, use all the guts and you have a 39 style trans.

Agree the cam is a B, DO NOT throw that out.

2. Just checked 91a-7230 on the shift fork. What's the deal with the B cam? good for regrind?

3. Yeah, hard to come by core. Good score on that tower

4. thanks. I'm feeling pretty lucky today. I had planned on a t-5. But I am also willing to let the parts come together themselves. Looks like I'll be running a top loader. I just found the van pelt site. Lots of good info there.

5. Holy crap! he is asking 175.00 for that 91A-7230 part!

6. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Nice Score! It's always kool looking through a stash of random bits!

OB

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I recently paid $125 for a B cam, then had it posted out here....... ouch

Well done on the find

8. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Yup, that is a hodge-podge - late synchro with early straight cut gears on slider, reverse & cluster. I wouldn't think that would work, now I am curious...

Will

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Well, you've got the good synchro, the good top shifter, and potentially a good case there... even if you have to source a set of gears, you still did pretty darn good for free! gears from any 39+ trans will swap into that case including side-shift sets. I've picked up a few 40's sideshift trans with nice gearsets from free-to-$50 in the recent past...

10. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Looks like you might already have a decent input shaft, second gear and slider gear from the open drive tranny. And the synchro hub is there as mentioned. Just need an output shaft, reverse gear and cluster gear. Still worth it to pick up a side shift tranny, I bought one last week for $50...

11. thanks guys. Definitely a good haul.

The late synchro through me for a loop too. van pelts sight says they don't interchange....wierd huh?

Thanks guys. I'll keep a look out for a side shift trans. I'm still pretty excited. even if the entire trans is junk.....I can still use it for mock up....which is awesome.

12. Cam is '32-'34 4 cylinder based on the lobe for the fuel pump. Good cam if it is useable.

Charlie Stephens

13. barnfind08

barnfind08
    from minnesota

The trans with the 78-7006 on the back with those early gears in it I will bet if you look inside on the r.h. side towards the rear of the trans it will have a 48 near the top of the opening. If it does the late gears 36-48 will not go in due to the cluster gear not dropping down far enough to install the main drive. This is all due to the cutout inside the trans on the clusters big end hitting the bottom.

14. I've read that you can install the late gears....but you must assemble the trans in a different order......

Anyways. The only number I can see on the inside is 52.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Then how did I get all those '40 Ford gears in that 48# case last summer? It can be done. I find a lot more nice 48# cases around than 78# cases. Same strength, just takes a different assembly order.

>>> Van Pelt's book is a must for the beginner working with these transmissions.

16. 29pu

29pu

looks like it`s got the 40 and up clutch shaft.

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Very true, done it a few times myself.

18. 29pu

29pu

also looks like an open shaft mainshaft there with the speedo gear on it along with the rear mount.seems you could both ways with it.that`s a great find.look on the bottom of the case.if it has a rib going from both direction from the drain plug it`s the real good one.

19. I'm pretty sure the trans case original application is from a 39 mercury 90hp v8. It's got *99A on the top of the belllhousing followed by a serial number. Van pelts site says 1939 merc 90 hp

20. It's covered in super goo. can't tell. once I clean it up I'll let you know.

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Though I have no experience with them, there are indeed later gears with straight cut 1-r; they are not common, from a 3/4 ton ordered without the 4-speed I think.
    Trans is a mixture, like most hotrod transmissions, and you identify it piece by piece to figure out what the previous owner did. This old post contains enough info to ID both what the case was originally and what all the stuff in there now is:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91515&highlight=1939+trans+prices&showall=1

Even the rear mount is cobbled a bit...tabs have been extended to fit a later mount! As with most hotrod Fords, everything external is adapted to fit a chassis, everything inside is adapted to use either what the guy had or what he wanted. And pretty much any combo of '32-48 transmission stuff can be put togethe one way or another.

Piece-by-piece is generally the ONLY way to figure out an early Ford transmission...by now they are mostly mixed.

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Funny dipsticks are probably one of the many types used '32-34...late B's used that looped handle too, but I think those are too long for B. Steering not '32-4...the clamp cast in at top is wrong. Might be A, don't remember much about what either main type is like, but the boss for endplay adjuster at top is like A.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right as usual, Bruce. Some years ago, I found a straight-cut gear set on the Bay...it was advertised as a late set. I called the guy to correct him, but he stood by his 'green book', saying the part# and application, right on down the line. I got my Green Book later that year, and he was right as rain! Never actually saw any in my years of working on them, though...