Register now to get rid of these ads!

Martin luther king day!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sololobo, Jan 17, 2011.

1. sololobo

sololobo

I am hoping everyone can reflect upon this great man today and his monumental accomplishments, paying the ultimate price for his brave campaign. R.I.P. brother King. ~sololobo~

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

RIP brother...amen.

3. HRod 50

HRod 50

Boss had us watch a video of the I have a Dream Speech. Pretty amazing. It isnt the first time I heard it, but it still sends shivers up the spine. MLK is a huge reason why we all have a voice.. RIP

4. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

He protected all our civil liberties. We can freely own and discuss hotrods!

5. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

There were a lot of scary times for Americans...Pearl Harbor, Vietnam, 9/11, WWI and WWII, D-Day, etc...the list goes on and on. I think any celebration of such things brings back a lot of bad memories for people. When you're trying to push change in a country or place where it is not welcome and not wanted by many...a scary situation can and will erupt. What we must remember is the courage and grace in which so many who were fighting for it...handled it. They plugged along without fear and with great courage for the betterment of the common good and the American ways of life...despite what the consequences were going to be. While it may have been a scary time for those on the "sidelines"...just remember the courage those had who stood up and said "No". Although it may bring backa lot of scary memories; we must realize the type of world we now live in thanks to efforts made by such people

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  6. HRod 50

HRod 50

For those that don't know. That is the balcony MLK was shot on, and those cars are memoralized along with this motel.

So Traditional Car in relation to the HAMB and it's rules--- Check.
    (Rediculous we had to go down this route, but CHECK!)

7. Zerk

Zerk

I took this thread as a signal opportunity to do a bit of reading on the subject of MLK. I'm glad I did, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Inspiration comes from a variety of sources. A couple of Dr.King's quotes led me to think he had a love for creative thought and belief in the power of creative people to change the world into something better. Something to respect.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

"If we don't live together as brothers, we will die together as fools."
    - MLK

One of the smarter men that has ever stepped foot in a suit and tie.

9. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

had martin not been driven to change the negative world he was born into he may have had the time and the fun of building a hotrod or restoring a classic. he may have had a longer more comfortable life like a lot of us. i watched him when i was a young man and he changed me and made me a better person. on his day, once a year, i read his great words and reflect on where our wonderful country is today and i acknowledge that he was a great man. the moderator probably meant well, just didn't think it through.

10. belair

belair

"Where there is no vision the people perish..." and "I have a dream" go hand in hand.
    A great man who made America and the world better.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Another holiday I dont get off of work!:mad:

very influential man

12. nwaringa

nwaringa

"Whatever your life's work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better. "
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think we all strive for this. Smart man wise beyond his time.

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Freedom is not FREE....
    NO COMMENT.
    R.I.P.

14. He was a great man, but I don't celebrate the man as much as I celebrate his message. As a human he was flawed, like we all are, but his words transcend the man. A timeless message that was very American in it's ideas. A message of liberty, freedom, and equality for ALL people. A message that extolled the virtues of hard work, struggle, and accomplishment for ALL people. A message that encourages us to stand up against tyranny and injustice! Patriotic words and ideas!

Dr. King's words were inclusive; The content of character is what matters, not the color of a person's skin. Words that seem so obvious today.

RIP, Dr. King

15. 68Caddy

68Caddy

MLK was a great man as was his message. But as a country we need to quit the feel-good bull shit and really get some good things done for people as well as our country.

16. Agreed!

17. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Same here.

18. He was a great man. I hope for the day when his name is on a street in a nice part of town. I bet that would make him smile...

19. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

+10

20. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Thanks for throwing up this thread. I've adopted many brothers right here on the HAMB.

21. RichG

RichG

Man, that's the gospel truth right there.

22. Jimv

Jimv

Few years ago i went to Memphis & we visited the civil rights museum at the Lorraine Motel,It is very moving! Worth the trip.Everything is still left intact in his room.The tour ends at the balcony.
    Across the street is the boarding house where the shot came from.Very eerie!
    Its hard to believe the greatness of this man.He was truly a man who everyone could look up to.
    JimV

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

R.I.P., Dr. King

[​IMG]

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks for posting this, Larry!

He most certainly was.

Malcolm

25. 067chevy

067chevy

Well said.

26. Hmm, I wonder what he would think if he was alive today. The mans words spoke through all boundaries, but how many of the younger generation know what he was truly about.

27. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

To all humanity...Racism sucks! Cultures are a part of everyday life. Let us learn from the past, the men and women who gave their career and lives for the cause.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it

28. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

You guys make me proud!!
    Unky d

29. I'm thrilled to read so many positive posts on this very special OT subject. Now living so close to the MLK Center in Atlanta keeps his message in my thoughts almost every day.

30. Well its a shame he had to go to get everyone's attention. I heard him speak once live on the radio when I was a little kid. He seemed to have a lot more to say other than just be nice to minorities if you paid attention.

I don't have too many fond memories of his death and the rioting that ensued in the aftermath but time heals all wounds.

Gone but not forgotten.