Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

There was some old foam, the type you would see in a lawnmower air filter, oil impregnated style. It was quite rotted out, so I went over to my local mom & pop lawnmower shop, and they found me a new piece, we just cut it out, and plopped it in. There is a small screen under it to let oil accumulate witout getting into the foam. Think it'll just get saturated over time, then wring it out.
    We just got back from about a five mile or so romp with the car, including a freeway run. It all appears to have worked. The added jetting when it was cold out two weeks back has somehow created an off idle stumble, maybe the pump cam is whacky, I'm not the sharpest yet with Holley's, so I'll consult the gods of the four barrel for guidance and direction with regards to more or less shot. Motor now has no issues with zipping right up to 8,000. Not that we'll make that a daily occurance or anything. :)

2. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Must have stopped for a cold one at the local pub.

[​IMG]

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Love the Kleenex box!

4. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Dale looks to Me, I May do the same to mine . good use of what You have laying around.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;that was taken in the days when you could leave your windows down and the car unlocked!!!If you did that now,the car would be gone!!!!!Would be nice to find one in that shape today!!! ROY.

6. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Roy - Just catching up a bit in here, Congrats on your shutterbug session. I cant wait to see it.

Dale - Valve covers and breater look great. I had to do that to my Blown 54 Ford Coupe with Breathers. They love to spit a bit of oil out. I had to fix it too, not only slick on the tires and a fire issue but it would smoke when it hit the exhaust, the bowtie duded took the oppertunity to slam me in my "smokey Ford". Yours look great.

7. chris gerber

chris gerber
    from N.E. Ohio

[​IMG]

My dad took this picture along side of the road in Canton, Ohio of the McCoy Mercury/former Hayden Proffitt 612. The car was based out of Rising Sun Md. and made a return to Stark County, Ohio when our friend purchased the car and restored it to its Hayden Proffitt days.

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Chris Gerber;GREAT photo,Those old trailers are scary looking,surprisingly they did the job. ROY.

9. The drivers had to be brave to driver an AF/X car but just as brave to drag them down the highway with a trailer like that one.:eek: Great picture.
    Roger

10. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I always wondered from some pictures of the past when you read about an "accident" while towing. This would be the reason why? I could not imagine freeway speeds today with a single axle trailer and a three thousand pound car!!

After posting up the breather shots, and getting responses, you guys made me go out and pullthem off to look inside the old Moroso units. They actaully have a "baffle" inside, it looks to be a rough style of brass or bronze steel wool. I think todays ones have foam. If I can find another old set at the swapmeet, I'd like to try and grab a backup. I'd doubt they would ever wear out. As of this morning, no dripping whatsoever from the engine bay. Problem solved!! Happy!

11. Dale your breathers look good. In the old days I remeber cleaning the brass wire filters in solvent.
    Roger

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Solvent,hell that cost fifty cents a gallon,gas was only 25 cents and cleaned em up good!!!!!Of course that was a year or two back!!!! ROY.

13. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thanks for that! I'll clean 'em out!

14. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

That's an incredible pic! Being hauled by a merc....none the less!

Thanx chris.

15. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

For the most I've never been a big fan of yellow cars.But this '64 is really workin on me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

^^Somebody had that exact car here in town. It was mint and I rode by and looked to see if they had it sitting outside on the weekends. Then it was gone...I guess they sold it. I wish I could've had a shot at it.

17. Roy, your right I probaly used gas as there never was much solvent in the shop.:rolleyes: I remeber my 64 Marauder having a down draft tube on the passerger side valve cover breather. It scared the crap out of me as it sucked up rain water.:eek: Thought I had a dead 390.
    Roger

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger and Dale;I was trying to be funny,but I do remember helping my Father work on old cars back then and getting sent to the local Service Station[before gas pumps with candy stores]to get gas because solvent was too expensive!!! The lead never bothered me and that third arm that grew kinda comes in handy!!!! ROY.

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

(((With all the comet people here in one place)))

Would any of you have a spare left quarter trim strip off a 65 2dr sedan. Iv had a spiced together one my car for years and hate it.

Anyone need nos right side red corner tail lenses?

20. 65COMET

65COMET

296 V8;I'll try to contact a buddy and see if he kept his trim pieces.He built a 65 sedan and took most of the trim off.He can be hard to contact sometimes. ROY.

21. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

Borrowed from another post on the HAMB

[​IMG]

22. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

A day at the office for Dyno!

[​IMG]

23. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

I often wonder if Don was more fond of the chevy's or Ford's he was racing.

[​IMG]

24. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

25. stinsonart

stinsonart

As cool as these cars were/are, I'm betting ol' Dyno was most enamored of the one that got him to the other end the quickest and fastest.

Bill

26. stinsonart

stinsonart

I really loved the Comets back in the day! Drew this in '65.

Bill

[​IMG]

27. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

What's with the headlights?:cool:

28. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Cool stuff Bill. Hope I can meet up with you someday!

Going to Autorama??

29. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Looks like they sectioned a few grille's together or something.

The real poke in the eye was that this car had a chevy powerplant. OUCH!

Still looks cool.

30. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Yeah,I was wondering about the 337 C.I.