Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Falconred

Falconred

ASA at GA International.

Introductions,

Honory starter, Ronda Satterfield, reporter from the Gainsville Times, she would later marry Smily Rich and write several books, one titled "My Life in the Pits" about racing. Oh, yeh, there is a flagman also.

Winner, Alan Kulwicki. Notice the top, he put the car on the top in practice, beat the top out and won the race.

2. Falconred

Falconred

I ran across this and knew it had to be posted:

If anyone has contact with Bobby please forward or get me in touch with him and I will see he gets a copy. I have several other photos of him, Davey and Donnie.

3. old dirt

old dirt

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i had his contact info at one time i'll see if i can find it for you

5. copley62

copley62

6. copley62

copley62

7. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Sport Coupe 62 - Here's that other photo of Ralph O'Day. Shot at Kil-kare in 1965 or 1966. Question - Do you have your dad's negatives, or just photos ? I found my negatives and gained about a thousand shots I didn't know I had - stuff that was never printed before. Most scanners / software have a negative scanning capability. I actually went out and bought a film scanner because I had more negatives to scan than I had prints.

The Oldtimer

[​IMG]

8. I cant give out the info but I sent it to Liz & Bobby & Judy and Hut And Donnie. Send me your name and pics and ill forward them and make sure they know you sent them

9. allstarracing

allstarracing

I would say this is later than 66' because it is a 66' Galaxy and the new model cars usually didn't get the wheel wells cut until after several years of use. Also the tires and wheels would indicate a later date but such a wonderful picture. Allstarracing

10. thesignguy11

thesignguy11
    from Illinois

11. rcrcr1

rcrcr1

Me too! Wish the new cars had half the personality the old cars have.

12. jrose7004

jrose7004

There lies the problem. No attitude in todays cars!

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Copley, thanks. Indeed, all those photos bring back memories.

14. Sport Coupe 62

Sport Coupe 62

I have a bunch of his old 3x5 negatives. Most of his 35mm stuff is gone. I have done some of the stuff on a scanner but just got a new printer and am still figuring it out..

15. Sport Coupe 62

Sport Coupe 62

the other car in the second picture of Ralph is Vern Schrock

16. Post number 1

I just joined mostly to say thank you to everybody who has posted pictures on this thread.
    I discovered it in about October or November and quickly added it to my favorites. I have spent hours just admiring the photos, they are just incredible. The best collection I have seen anywhere.

I grew up following racing in the 70’s at the Greenville Pickens speedway. I even tried to race a little myself and may give it another shot again one day. That’s were my memories were built, guys like Butch Lindley, Jack Ingram, David Pearson, Johnny Allan, Sam Ard, and Donnie Bishop was who I admired the most.
    I also followed racing at the Old New Ashville, Hickory, Anderson, Concord, some at Georgia International, and Lanier.
    The ASA, All Pro, BGN when they really ran at the short tracks, but mostly I followed what was called Late Model Sportsman(LMS) in the Day, and that was my world.
    I also saw a lot of racing on the radio thanks to Barney Hall and MRN.

I also took in everything I could from Dick Bergen’s (sp) Old Stock Car Racing Magazines, that’s were I learned about racing in other parts of the country. When I went to the Old ASA/All Pro classics at Nashville that they ran in October I felt like I already knew Senneker, Trickle, Eddy, the Special K, etc…
    I regret never getting to see Richie Evans race.

In like manner these photos just capture the best elements of racing in my opinion and they take me back and refill my imagination with some new points , and that’s no easy task. Really thank you all again, I have shown this thread to a few old school racer types as well.
    They bring up so many sweet memories, I could go on and on…..

If I was an artist I would paint a piece that was running in the 70s, on small body that couldn’t tuck the tires under the fenders, or keep it’s big carburetor under the hood, without a cut out. And it would look great just painted with primer. It would probably be a Chevelle built before 1968, or any old Chevy II or Nova.

17. Falconred

Falconred

Welcome to the thread, I to followed the racing in the area you are from. I started in the sixties and was involved for many years. Those drivers you mention were the ones that I followed also. The cars from that era were some of the best race cars ever built and watched. Again welcome and know that we are glad to hear any old stories you have to share and any photos that you might have.

Falconred

18. Crudbro

Crudbro

Sport Coupe: What year or years was your dad the photographer at Southern? Pictures of the early days at SOR (1967-1975) are hard to come by. Hope you have something from those years.

19. Sport Coupe 62

Sport Coupe 62

Itwas for a few years when Gary Cheek Owned it.. Mid 70's I think.. I don't have a lot from there but I will see what I have..

20. thesignguy11

thesignguy11
    from Illinois

True, half the fun was going down into the pits after the races just to see how the cars differed and to meet the drivers of course!

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The old pedestrian bridge over the track at Salem was a great place to take photos. This one of Roy Wathen from Louisville was sent to us by Pat Knight.

[​IMG]

22. Falconred

Falconred

Cale Yarborough, Jody Ridley and Bill Elliott, Mike Alexander, Jr. Niedecken

23. Falconred

Falconred

A little something different:

Jr. Niedecken, ????HELP, Rusty Wallace
    The Bull, the lovely Miss Allpro-MS Eva Taylor, the beauty and the beast (er Bull)

24. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Here's another oldie from my ARCA days - this is Terry Blakley at Eldora, probably in 1965. Nice old Chevy. Really don't remember Terry running every ARCA race, so I do not know how frequent a competitor he was. Anyway, it's a great old shot of the long gone days..... Enjoy
    The Oldtimer
    [​IMG]

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Speaking of the All Pro Bull, here's a photo from one of those combined ASA/All Pro races at Bristol in 1982. He was a great guy and a great sport. First name was Paul, and I can't remember his last name. Before driver introductions, he suggested a belly-bumping contest for the fans. He lost.

He was even more fun after we borrowed an eagle costume from a high school and put it on my son, Matt. Goodyear gave him a vest and he became the Goodyear Eagle. Paul used to clown with him, and even ride him around on his shoulders. I wish I had some photos of that.

[​IMG]

26. Falconred

Falconred

Seems like I remember seeing the Bull and the Eagle together. Don't know if I have any photos or not but I will look.

I used to walk by and say, "Hi Bull", and he would answer, "Hi Human".

27. copley62

copley62

28. copley62

copley62

29. txtom

txtom

The All Pro bull was Paul Scheureman, from Birmingham.

30. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

Is that Rusty on the left?