Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interest in 30-31 model a quarter patch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M/H Speed and Design, Jul 28, 2010.

1. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

hey, guys were seriously working on making it happen. they will hopefully come out at leats 14" tall. You guys will be the first to know in PMs when they happen. if any one of you have a 30-31 tha has good quarters or a set of good quarters but need patches for another car PM me. Especially if your in the southeast. Looking for a nice car for the mold. theres a coupe in the shop that needs them and it happens to be mine, so believe me, i feel your pain. I think mine are as bad as iv'e ever seen em. Can you say stick welded patch panels... yep .

2. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

You got my attention.

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Can someone answer definitively for me as to whether all Model A Coupe bodies were made by Murray, Briggs or Budd? Did Henry sub contract the stamping of sheetmetal to fill production needs & post production needs as well as make running changes in body panel design as has been the pratice ever since?

This could go along way towards explaining why not many A & 32 patches fit even close to well without havin to pull a rabbit outa a hat & turn water to wine- if the body panel was actually stamped by a lowest bidder,sub-contractor, it wouldn't matter if the bead design was off the mark alittle given these weren't to be used as patch/repair panels. If you're taking a pattern off a "Ford'' body that was actually stamped by a sub-contractor, that could be a problem!

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

5. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

Hey guys, were getting closer every day to having these patches available. We are working with Mikes A Fordable Model A Parts and they have been a huge help. The biggest hurdle of finding a completely virgin quarter panel to scan has been tackled. We were REALLY picky in choosing a template car. I understand peoples concerns with different stampers, worn dies, blah, blah, but that is no excuse for the fit i have seen in many threads on here and patches We've used. What it comes down to is companies trying to get product made as cheaply as possible. The quality in most of these patches is just crap, crooked bead rolls, wrong radius, and wrong crown.

We had considered some kind of special for HAMBers that wanted to be very first in line. We thought maybe pre-selling 50 or so at $10 dollars a piece, basically the $10 dollars would buy you a ticket to have one of the first 50. Of course after that they will be available with the HAMB discount pending Ryan's approval. We are totally open to suggestions on the pre-selling idea of some kind, so if anyone has any thoughts at all, lets hear 'em.

Thanks again for everybody's support, we have had a great response from everyone here. Its been a lot of work hoop jumping, but i think it will be well worth it to everyone. Keep an eye on this thread and we'll keep you guys informed! -Will

6. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Watching and waiting

7. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

UPDATE!

Well, one of our biggest hurdles has been cleared. We got a message from Tim, aka "boneyardratz" here on the hamb. He said he had nice coupe that we could look at, and believe it or not he lives about 5 miles from the shop. Tim was an awesome guy and one heck of a gear head. This guy has some cool projects and cool parts. The coupe was super straight, and he was more than willing to make it happen. After all the rusty, bondo filled cars, and owners than wouldn't cooperate, it was great to find a nice car with a cool owner willing to help us out. We were super picky in picking a car and it will pay off in the finished product. Now that we found a template car, the guys at the scanning facility are ready, and we are too. Hopefully have it scanned within the next week or so. Keep an eye on this thread, well post pictures as we go through the steps.

8. jtlester

jtlester
    from Texas

How far out are you from having a product ready for sale??

9. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

We should have a first try out of the press within the month. The only unknown is how much the dies will need fine tuning to account for spring back, and making sure the reveals are crisp. We hope that the first pass will be real close, but we also know that we won't release them until we are satisfied. I actually have a 30 coupe I'm building for myself at night, and mine needs them bad. We will probably do some sort of tech write up to show the fit using my beat project as a guinea pig.

10. thegrappler

thegrappler

Subscribed :)
    Hey I know this is late but how about the whole wheel arch? nobody makes em!

11. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

If this goes well do you think you might do the 28/29 patches as well? Mine needs em bad and I would love to have them over a foot tall. Is the fit and finish with the 28/29's as bad as the 30/31's are that are already available?

12. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

On the wheel arch, it's funny you say that, my wheel arches on the coupe are all torn up from someone prying the fenders off after they were stick welded on! we have been looking into doing the whole wheel arch. The 28/29 patches are a possibility, i'd like to hear more about how the patches currently available fit. I know there is only really one reveal line, so they are a good bit more simple. We're totally open to suggestions, and if there are some things people really need that's not available, we would love to hear about them. Hopefully we will have our website online real soon, so we can keep you guys updated, and you can make suggestions. Also, as soon as we release the patches and our motor mount, we will be alliance vendors, so you guys will be the first to know and have the best deals.

13. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Maybe its just me, but I'd like to see a patch for common stress cracks in coupe rear quarters. I know somone here on the hamb has recreated the bead using a pullmax, but a nice patch with the bead width transition would be super.

Attached Files:

14. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

i had the same problem on my coupe, i used a junk door skin for the reveals, and made a hammer form for the little cove in the back. Mine was cracked, and someone gas welded the cracks up, but didn't lift the body back up, so i had a lopsided roof. Vaphead here on the hamb sells the panels, just without the cove, i should have bought one of those in the first place. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467717&highlight=stress+crack

15. indyjps

indyjps

should be some very skilled die makers that need some work, be glad to see this project come to life.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  16. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

I need the TALL corners and the wheel well arch also.

17. I think you will sell these like hotcakes. We are running out of clean coupes that are not rotted all to hell, so people are fixing cars they wouldnt have touched 10-15 years ago. Good Luck!!

James

18. MORodder

MORodder

i'd be interested... PM me when you get 'em, but you'd better hurry.

19. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

Well we have a scanned and modeled quarter panel! What an day, we spent it with cool guys and $200,000 laser scanners. More about it and some pictures tomorrow. Stay tuned folks.

20. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

Thursday was one exciting day, David and I left pretty early and headed down to GKS Scanning in Alpharetta where Tim was meeting us. We had a mini scare when we noticed there was no roll up door that we could see. Darin, our scan tech, answered the door and calmed us down when he showed us the door out back. Situation diverted. Tim and his wife showed up in the A like some troopers, all the way from Cartersville, Ga to Alpharetta in Georgia rush hour traffic. He is the man to say the least. Most people that we talked to freaked out about the idea of pulling off a fender. Tim builds everything him-self, and drives them too, so needless to say, the fender was on the ground before we knew it. Darin put some Talc on the quarter to smooth out the reflectivity of the panel, and rolled the laser over. Basically, this couple hundred thousand dollar laser is moved over the panel, and a 3d view is gathered on the monitor, almost like some kind of video game. It's pretty funny, were scanning these 80 year old parts with the latest and greatest technology. I guess that goes with our idea of a nod to the past, with a wink to the future. I'll let the pictures tell the rest. All in all Tim has been awesome, a true example of how gearheads should all be. He was all about helping in a common cause to make parts that everyone can be proud to use and make their projects more enjoyable. Keep an eye on this thread, we'll keep everyone involved as we go through this adventure!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  21. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

22. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

a few more..

Attached Files:

23. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

It was a blast. Their are aot of no driveing morons out on the roads. Between people talking on their cell phones, eating, and reading while driveing. Oh and their are alot of people that have never heard a Ahwoooogaa horn " They Have Now" funny as hell when some one goes to cut you off and you hit that horn. They about jump two lanes away from you. Let me start by saying Will and Dave are grate guys. The shop that we went to was not very big, but they have done this type of scanning on alot of things like nascar seats. Very cool. After I pulled the fender off it was neat as hell to see. It looked like he was painting the car on the computer screen. Every pass he made it filled in alittle more. The whole thing only took about 1 hour. Will and Dave bought me and my wife breakfast. Oh by the way thanks if I did'nt tell you guys before. I hope it all works out for these guys. I was glade to help and made some new gearhead freinds......

24. KAJRIP

KAJRIP

Very cool, can't wait till these are finished.

25. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

hey guys, quick update. the dies are in the tuning stages, getting all the reveals nice and crisp. A lot of small adjustments that cost a not so small amount! It will all be worth while though. As usual we will keep you guys informed and should have some more cool pictures of our adventure soon.

On a side note, Mad Hatter Speed and Design will be at the Moultrie, GA swap meet this weekend all three days. Stop by and say hey, we will be hanging out and showing a few things we have been working on.

26. thegrappler

thegrappler

Did you scan the wheel arches? and are there any plans to manufacture them? :)

27. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

-UPDATE-

We did scan the wheel wells, and we have been looking at how we can make them fit good, but still be affordable to everyone. That's the whole idea behind all this, just because the price is affordable, doesn't mean that the quality cant be awesome. We have bought enough good and plenty of bad parts to know the difference in junk and well made pieces. We must sound like a broken record to some, but we are still getting the stamping dies dialed in, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. We have chosen a process that will produce hands down the best finished part, but unfortunately it's one of the harder processes to get dialed in. We appreciate all of the support and encouragement from everyone, and those who have spoken out about needing these things will be the first to know when they are ready. Wish us luck in the next week or so, we are just as ready as you guys are to have a set in our hands.

Here's a quick shot of the size of the panels, just to give you an idea. They are 17" from end to end.

Attached Files:

28. Nice! ! !

29. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

Wow, it's cool to watch this develop from an idea into a nice product!

30. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Damn that looks awesome , can't wait to get my hands on a set of those.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011