Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi -shoebox-3spd help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swazzie, Jan 14, 2011.

1. swazzie

swazzie

I seem to be having no luck with the trans adapter i think i need. I gotta 50 shoe and a 354 hemi and i would like to keep the three on the tree if possible . Is it possible that nothing was made for this ? Any help is greatly appreciated. swaZZie

2. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

Would help if you told us which 3 speed that
    you are using. Am I correct in assuming that
    your car is a 50 Ford?
    Matt

3. swazzie

swazzie

the three on the tree? it's a manual 3 speed transmission , column shift. there was more than one?

4. Joe-405

Joe-405
    from Oklahoma

You mean this adapter !!!!

P/N 392-EFM Adapts the Early Hemi to the Ford 1932-1948 or Merc 1939-1950, Ford Truck 1/2 to 1 1/2 ton 1949-1953 transmission. The adapter moves the starter to the passenger side. The original starter plate is required (#1613713 or equivalent). Includes the pilot bearing adapter and fasteners. We can supply the correct pressure plate and clutch disk for this adapter.

www.wilcap.com

Attached Files:

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a '50 car, wouldn't he need a '50 merc or later truck bellhousing to adapt that adapter to the back of the '50 block? Then you run into clutch linkage problems.:confused:

6. swazzie

swazzie

Yah,fellas. I would like to use the original transmission which I believe differs from the merc......

7. Joe-405

Joe-405
    from Oklahoma

These guys can make adapters as well i would lay odds that they have done it before there is a phone number on the site.

8. 73RR

73RR

He says it is a 354 so it is a 'normal' block. There were many adapters made back in the day but now finding one can be a search. The old adapters almost always used the 57-58 starter mounting plate, 57-58 starter and 172 tooth flywheel.
    An option is to by an adapter for a shiverlay trans and modify the bellhousing to mount the ford trans. Ford and gm use much the same length input shaft on the older units.

9. swazzie

swazzie

I will just have to continue researching this. I'll have to scour some old hotrod mags i think. I have to believe also that they were made.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think this guy is trying to adapt a short bell early hemi to his '50 ford car 3-speed trans. While I don't think this is a good idea (I blew plenty of those transmissions with stock flatheads back in the day), it is probably possible. Joe-405; I think the "early Ford/Merc transmissions in your chart are the '32-48' variety, which would work if he could find a '49-early '51 Mercury three speed transmission. I believe the front mounting bell on the front of these transmissions is the same as early Ford, while the back is the same as '49 to '53 Ford. Worst case, he might have to swap the tailhousing from his Ford transmission to the Mercury to get the rear transmission mount to fit. I also have to believe that back in the day, someone made an adapter from a short bell early hemi to a shoebox type 3-speed, but I don't think anyone does now, so finding one would be the typical swap meet/eBay/want-ad search, with the associated expense. And then as I said earlier, there will probably be clutch linkage problems. Better off to find a stronger late-model transmission to use.

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. swazzie

swazzie

Holy Crapp Tubman!!! How did you find this? Thank you so much for your help . That is exactly what i am looking for.I'm not too worried about blowing the tranny .It appears there are plenty of them and folks almost give em away .Not so popular. Thank you again.