Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. You betcha Rob . I wish my car was a far along as yours . I think I will steal your 49 ford tailights idea and french a pair into the buick quaterpanel . That looks sweet and custom perfect !!

2. Hivolt 5.0 give about 2 weeks in between views and there shold be lots to view . I hope anyway . Thanks for the subscribe .

3. Slingshot have another look for that article and load it up I would like to see that if you still have the old magazine . Thanks

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

looking good! I like the re-use of the Chevy quarters ,they will save alot of time fixing the lowers on the Buick.

5. Thanks Kemp
    Did a lot of head scratchin and tryin to hammer a piece of sheetmetal into submission before that , eureka moment !!! Turned out good though it has a nice flow . I was just in touch with robleticia and he is going to mail me up a 49 ford tailight . I like the way the light flows in the verticle position . Later

6. padorey

padorey

You still amaze me with the work you are doing. Keep up the great work. Can't waite to see the finished car. Buicks Rule (The Un-Merc)

7. joel c.

joel c.
    from so cal

8. Have some more for you thread junkies . Picture 1 is a piece of sheet metal that is representative of the inner wheelhouse to quaterpanel reveal line . Pic.2 is the wheelhouse repair starting point . This will be cutout and a new piece formed for that area . Moving to the 3rd pic we have the panel ready to be welded in place . 4 welded but not trimed yet . 5 shows that I need a big panel made for this area. Next is the roughed out panel needs more shapeing though . Last is the panel clamped in place . Once this is welded I need to make the bottom part of this panel . That piece will have to duplicate the yet to be made quaterpanel outer skin . This in turn will be welded by spotwelds around the wheelhouse lip . Thats it for today the wife says playtime over . :mad:

Attached Files:

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn fine work, Andy!!! Love your homemade hammer!

10. sgnova72

sgnova72

Subscribed. Great build, keep up the incredible work.

11. Thanks boys for the words of encouragement . Brerhair I made that hammer in about 30 minutes and it sure works a piece of metal into submission quickly . Later !!!

12. Racrdad

Racrdad

You are a man of determenation and without fear of metal thats for sure. Keep after it, looking good!

13. Thanks Racrdad I dont think that you fear to much as well when it comes to metal . Hows the project coming along . At first I must admit I thought WHAT THE !!! Then as I progressed through the thread I said that is going to be pretty sharp and a fun ride . Retro to the 60's and Ed Roth style or what . Later!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  14. fitzee

fitzee

This is coming along nicely. I always tell people when repairing rust work from the inside out. I would of did the same thing to my Fleetline wheel wells only problem was I had no wheels wells worth saving!!

15. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Man you've made a lot of progress! Looking good, keep up the good work.

16. gsport

gsport

wow, what a challenge.. i don't know how i've missed this thread.
    lookin good, and you are my new motivator....

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

I Thought you were supposed to be working on the house :D...gotta get some quality car time in though eh! Looking good!

18. Its a good thing that you have that 4 door parts car . The wheelwells good on that fitzee ?

19. Thanks Gsport that to me is a great compliment !!!

<!-- / message -->

20. LOL . Yeah I told her that one day a week will be mine to be spent in the garage . If I wait to long I'll forget where I started !!! LOL Anyway another cup of coffee and off to the basement I go .

21. fitzee

fitzee

Don`t matter I setting this up to lay frame and the wheel wells had to go anyway.

22. Id like to go that route as well . Its quite expensive though isnt it ? Now would be the time to notch my frame that for sure .

23. fitzee

fitzee

Would be the best time to notch. I am doing it cause I have the parts on hand to do it.I am always wheeling and dealing.Have more project parts then I do projects.

24. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

When you pull the body off the original frame, take some pictures of the frame for me. :)

25. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Just found your thread. You're doing some great work man! Keep it up! Subscribed.

26. Thanks Screamin It will be slow for a while . I only get one day a week til I finish the room in the basement . Crap !!! You got a thread ?

27. robleticia

robleticia

Screw the basement! Thats some nice work you did on the inner fender well that no one will ever see except us! I'm going home and build me one of those hammers!

28. Yeah I know Rob the wheelwell panel is a little much . In some regaurds I have OCD I just cant help myself !!

29. robleticia

robleticia

OCD is good cause they look killer!

30. Well my one day that started at 7:00 AM and ended at 4:30 PM didn't amount to much . I am quite pissed to say the least . That must mean I have had enough for one day . It started out this AM with the fact that the body was to low . Had to add 3 inches to the temporary supports . You know that when you have to take something apart it never goes back together easily . Lets just say I killed 3.5 hours before I even started to weld in the panel I made last saturday . That done I started to make a panel for the front of the wheelhouse . I went to large of a panel and that killed another bunch of time . Made a smaller patch welded it in and that was just about it . Not much accomplished for 9.5 hours . One beer break and one dinner break . Maybe next saturday will be more productive ???? One can only hope . Have a look at the meager amount of work I got done !! :mad:

Attached Files: