Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for suggestions for mild f100 hot rod engine engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shotdowninflames, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Shotdowninflames

Shotdowninflames
    from Milwaukee

Just looking for some advice on my 1960 f100 project. I have completed most of bodywork (except paint) and it is getting time to turn my attention to the drivetrain. The truck has a decent running 223 inline six with a ford-o-matic behind it (original). The former owner had the engine rebuilt before I purchased it. I know nothing about the trans, other than it shifts and moves. I want this truck to be a fun, driveable, period correct hotrod (not a ratrod and I prefer not to put a modern engine in this truck).

My dilemma is this, should I keep the 223 and just add performance parts or should I install a 292 y-block that I already have? The y-block is from a 1961 f100 which also ran well before it was pulled. I do not have the matching trans. and from what I understand, this will not bolt up to my current ford-o-matic. I . understand the y-block would add a certain "cool factor" to the truck, but they can get expensive to modify or build. I need to keep this truck on a budget as my wife has been taking parts inventory regularly and I still need to paint this thing. I'm opening this up for any suggestions, advice, or tips.

Thanks in advance!

2. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

On a budget, I would leave it like it is. The 223 is a good old soldier.

3. Put a small block Chevy in it.

Ok I'm sorry I just absolutely couldn't resist. :eek:

I had a Y block in my '62 unibody loved it. I would cabbage tranny somewhere and bolt that bugger in there. Even stock is going to be an improvment over the 6 and you can add bits 'n' pieces as you go.

My wife takes parts inventory also. Then if it looks like I'm running low to her she goes out and finds some more. ;)

4. uglydog56

uglydog56

If you just run local, leave the 223 in it. If you do any interstate time, although I am a committed inliner, it may be time for the 292.

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

What could be more "period correct" than the engine and drivetrain that's in it now? Drive it and spend the money on other upgrades or improvements.

Bob

6. The Y block is period correct. :rolleyes:

7. Shotdowninflames

Shotdowninflames
    from Milwaukee

I understand where you are coming from. I was tempted to go the SBC route, but most of the effies around here have SBC's under the hood and I want something different. I've had the y-block for a few years and I am itching to do something with it. Besides, they sound cool!

Hey, where do you find one them wives that gets parts for you?

8. Shotdowninflames

Shotdowninflames
    from Milwaukee

Thanks for the input guys! I'm taking it all into consideration. I've gotten some conflicting information from some Ford guys around here and on other websites. I was told by one guy that he swapped a 292 into his '60 effie and he used the same ford-o-matic trans that was on his 223. I have also been told that this trans. has a different bell housing and converter and therefore will not work on the y-block. Who is correct? I asked this question on another website and also got conflicting answers. Anyone have experience with this engine swap? Also, if the trans. needs to be changed, how do I identify the correct trans. for the 292?

Thanks! Todd

9. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

my 2 cents, the six is cool....but if you wanna pull it i'd go with an fe or mel

10. Found mine in Forest Grove High. One of a handfull of people in the school that wasn't afraid of me. :eek:

Pretty funny story about or first date. But that's an entirely different story.

I actually would bolt the Y block in there. Find yourself a manual bellhousing and a 3 gear from something and you're in business.

Our first race car was a 312 powered 55 Ford, a 12 second car.

I'm pretty sure that the bellhousing has a different bolt pattern, Ford has always been bad about that. I used a Y block manual bellhousing and the stock truck 4 speed in my uni-body. It shouldn't be hard to come up with a bell housing and I believe that a 3 or 4 gear from an early Mustang will bolt up with the correct clutch plate.

BTW it been awhile since I have been strictly a ford person so maybe someone else will have the definative answer for ya.

11. Dzus

Dzus

Before you change anything - drive it!. It's your truck, your decision.

My '59 still has the 223. It keeps up with Austin traffic and gets great gas mileage. But, it is barely sufficient, and if you were actually going to use it as a truck to haul loads or tow anything I would swap in the 292.

12. Shotdowninflames

Shotdowninflames
    from Milwaukee

Uglydog56;

You mentioned that you are committed to the inlines, I am curious how much difference a performance intake, header, and carb. would make on the 223. This engine was rebuilt to stock specs. Would it be worth it? The truck will only be driven locally and will most likely never see an interstate. My main goal is to make this thing fun to drive around town. It is currently a slug. My engine budget is about $1500.

13. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I put a Y-block in my '60 F100 and I loved it. Great motor.

14. See I'm not the only one that has actually done the Y block swap and loved it.

15. Shotdowninflames

Shotdowninflames
    from Milwaukee

The manual would also be my preference. Unfortunately, I promised my wife (the accountant) she would be able to drive this one and I gave up trying to teach her how to drive a stick years ago! Besides, if she learned how to drive a 4 speed, she'd want to drive my Impala.

16. A fordomatic or a mercomatic are going to be your only options I'm afraid. Unless you go with an adapter. You should be able to adapt a C4 to it for about 400 bucks if you shop around a bit.

17. Shotdowninflames

Shotdowninflames
    from Milwaukee

What trans do you have in that '60 effie?

18. Ole don

Ole don

There is a guy on the FordBarn who made a Fordomatic into the three speed by installing a different valve body. If you plan to stay in town, leave the six in it. With a split exhuast, it will sound great and give about 20 MPG.

19. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

Stick with the 223 and put on a split header and dual exhaust. My 223 is bone stock except for the header and duals, and it sounds great. My mileage is well over 20. It is really slow, but that keeps me out of court

20. Shotdowninflames

Shotdowninflames
    from Milwaukee

That may be the way to go. Not too many guys around here that would be able to work on a ford-o-matic if I broke it.

21. I would go with the Y-block. If you don't, you will be smacking yourself on the forehead saying: "I coulda had a V-8"!!! :rolleyes:

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm going to get reamed for this one but WTH, won't be the first time. Look for a lower milage big block/T-400 (or 4l80E) Suburban and swap that big boy (with trans) into your Ford and you'll unable to wipe the smile off your face. Used Suburbans go cheap and if it was taken care of it's probably got another 100,000 miles left in it. Swap the cam for a low/mid range RV style, put on some block hugger headers into dual turbo mufflers.
    Pull the radiator and anything else you think you might need for the swap from the Suburban and scrap the rest or list any good remaining parts on Craiglist.
    Oh yea, get used to explaining to everyone why your Ford sounds and goes so good.:eek::rolleyes::D

Frank

23. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I hate to say it but if you want an auto and want it wife friendly, maybe a 302/AOD. Cheap, cheap, easy on gas and powerful enough for any kind of cruising.
    If I could have any truck I wanted it would be a 57 with a 3 deuce 312, 3 speed overdrive.

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Keep it six-powered but use a 300:

[​IMG]

25. Shotdowninflames

Shotdowninflames
    from Milwaukee

26. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

389 Pontiac with 421 superduty heads, mild cam & dual AFB's on a crossrame. Backed up by Hydro & a 57' rearend mmmmmmmm mmmmm good. Me I'm keeping the stock 6 with three on the tree.

27. inlinr6

inlinr6

find some knudsen head and intake for the six,paint it ford rangoon red with a paint gun and catalyzed paint.or give it to me.

28. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

There is nothing wrong with the Ford-O-Matic. Put on the 292 and go. They
    did come with them you know. I hooked one to a 427 and didn't hurt it. Want
    a three speed, use "L" for first gear.