Register now to get rid of these ads!

can you shoot base coat over laquer primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Jan 14, 2011.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Its not my car ,Its for a customer Its a hood and I dont want to shock him with price ,Icing and epoxy primer Is around a hundred on a guess ,Not up with pricing on primer ..Trying to do it cheap and make profit.......Any opinions or ideas apreciated ,Whats the going price for a corvette hood ,Bodyworked and primed and painted plus materials

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  2. Neither one of those really have any integrity. Primer isn't waterproof, but sitting in a garage it should hold up.

3. basecoat has to be applied light and dry, to avoid lifting . lightly seal with a coat of epoxy primer, then spray the base.

4. It will fail.....sooner or later. If you care about your reputation as a bodyman/ painter, you should do it right the first time. Just my opinion.

5. voodoo1

voodoo1

If you don't have the time and or money to do it right the first time. How are you going to afford to re-do it after? Price depends on location. You can buy just a quart of primer, thats a little cheaper. There are alot of inexpensive products that work great. Talk to your local paint supplier about mix and matching primers and base coat, clear coats. your best bet is always use 2 part mixes. They hold up better and dry faster and less shrinkage. Mike

6. fleet-master

fleet-master

you can...but its likely to fail..laquer products are like bitumen..they expand,contract and move ...where two-part primers and top coats cure like concrete and don't move very much at all...
    ergo...the laquer primer will move round under the two-part top coat and crack it..sooner or later.

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I agree with all you guys ,I m trying to come up with a price ,Im at 500 labor he buys the paint ,If I buy the primer and such Im down to 400 .700 deal and I think Im still low on price that seems High ............

8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

a gallon of slick sand here is 60.00, two gallons of ppg epoxy primer is 120.00.... a gallon of generic clear is about 80.00 and base is around 100.00...that is enough for a whole car and then some ..... no offense but how can you justify 500.00 to paint a hood if you are unsure of how to do it?

do your body work, get a qt. of slick sand 25.00 and a qt of color 35.00-65.00 and maybe talk to a body shop about some clear....i am also asumming you are probably going to have to blend to the fenders to match colors .. if you are a novice you probably shouldnt attempt it as neither of you are going to be happy in the end

9. 37mj

37mj

your reputation is on the line ! a customer ? with a question like that what kinda business you in? :eek:

10. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

what bodyman has to ask how much something should cost?

is this your first rodeo?

11. 37mj

37mj

been in the business 25 + yrs , cost isn't the issue here . that's why i asked what business he's in ,sounds like a do-it yourselfer and the "customer" suffers in the long run .

12. indyjps

indyjps

If the customer is worried about price, break the quote out.

So much for stripping the hood
    so much for prep after strip
    so much for prime / labor to block
    reprime
    block
    base/clear
    wetsand and buff
    Materials and labor charge with each step.

If he wants to part of it himself he can but warn him if the work isnt up to par he'll still pay you to redo it.
    I agree with 37 mj, if the paint lifts in a year, this guy will be bitching about your work to anyone that will listen for years. if he wont pay to have it done right you dont need the liability of the "bad press"

13. darkk

darkk

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish here. If you a trying to primer and clearcoat to protect. Try product from this link. They sell a product called Hot Rod Flatz....

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

14. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

would you build a house on top of a swamp ?

15. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

those prices sure sound good to me---

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im redoing the whole hood and we are gonna color match the new paint ,By camera .I just work out of my garage as a hobby , I have to do the bodywork also ,I dont have extra materials ,Besides filler and paper .Its just I need an average price that I should charge him without being way High .And make money also.....I do know the new systems ,Trying to keep material price down , Ill try to get pics of the hood this weekend ,Im just trying to get a figure in my head before I even look at it .

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  17. wakey 55

wakey 55
    from illinois

I learned a long time ago the six p's of painting PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS POOR PAINT PERFORMANCE And an unhappy customer will tell everyone. Do it right or don't do it at all. And stay with the same product from primer on up. FYI Wakey 55

18. If it's anything but a C4(84-96) save yourself some grief and blend the surround....and if it IS a C4, blend the top of the bumper:)

I've NEVER got a match good enough to panel paint from a photospctrometer or whatever that thing is called:eek:

19. I'm not sure that water is an issue with a corvette hood.

When I was younger they always said you can shoot enamel over lacquer but not lacquer over enamel. Don't know if that helps you at all.

20. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

one youre never going toget a good color match by shooting it with the camera....it always comes back the wrong color Ive done this 10 times and all 10 times the color has been no where near...so be prepared to blend into the fenders....two on a vette hood...strip it to the gel coat and start from there....youre asking for trouble if you dont...think lifint crazing and cracking in a very short time if you try and take short cuts...

21. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You're going to color match a guys corvette hood in your home garage? Why is it that I only paint my own shit and never ever any one elses? Oh yeah, that Murphy and his laws. He always gets me.

22. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

thats what i was thinking....i think hes getting in over his head on this job

23. im with you, laquer is a thermoplastic, which means it doesnt have a hardner. it also means you can resoften it with heat or solvents. spraying epoxy primer is going to severely soften the laquer because of the shear strength of the solvents. Its strong shit:p then you want to spray basecoat? and clear!! your spraying enough solvents on that laquer to have a complete failure. as little as a week that paint is going to fall off. sorry for the rant but im doing my refinishing ticket as we speak.