Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Organization

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by rockable, Jan 12, 2011.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This may have been discussed before and, if so, I apologize.

I love the HAMB but I also find it frustrating to find things and to keep up with threads that interest me. The problem, as I see it is that everything is dumped into one big old file, The Hokey Ass Message Board. I participate on other forums and two of the best organized are the Pontiac Performance Years forum and the Fender Discussion Page forum.

IMO, it would make the HAMB a lot easier to use and a lot less time consuming if it were organized into some separate headings. I'm not saying these are right, but I'm putting them out here as a suggestion and a starting point for discussion.

For Example, what if it were organized as follows.
    • The HAMB Joint - a place to hang out and talk about off topic subjects like the weather, your in-laws, etc.
    • Events, Shows, Conventions and Swap Meets - self explanatory
    • Nostalgia - a place to talk about old racers, old race cars, the way it was, etc.
    • Tools and Techniques - tools, special tools, "how to's" involving the use of tools
    • Metal Shaping, Welding and Fabrication Tech - self explanatory
    • Paint and Body Tech- self explanatory
    • Heating and Cooling Tech - heating, cooling and air conditioning
    • Suspension Tech - questions about chassis, tires, suspension, handling, etc.
    • Build Projects - build threads - both customs and hot rods
    • Electrical Tech - threads about wiring, troubleshooting electrical problems, starters, ignition systems, etc.
    • Engine Tech
    • Transmission and Driveline Tech
    You get the picture. If all the threads were subdivided into categories like this, it would be much easier to find and keep up with threads you're interested in and you could search by category. This would also make it easier to find the information you're looking for when searching.

The HAMB is a wealth of information and I think this would make it even better. What do you think?

2. silent rick

silent rick

all the stuff you listed is at your finger tips if you use the search function. it's been discussed many times before. the problem with alot of separate forums is it becomes harder to moderate. people post in the wrong section now, what do you think will happen with another 8 to 10 forums. it also is tougher to control the spammers.
    the hamb has operated a long time with this format. get used to it.

3. SixFive

SixFive

I like the fact that apart from the classifieds it is all in one big forum. When you look through it you don't know what your going to find.. a build thread, welding techniques, event coverage, Bonneville history, keeps it interesting.

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

Always somebody wanting to change things that work just fine.If you are so critical of the site just don"t use it.

5. I don't think he was being critical. He was just making suggestions. I personally don't agree with him, but I think he was being polite. There's no need to make things more complicated. ...Don.

6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does this sound like someone who is being critical? The first sentence of my post says, "This may have been discussed before and, if so, I apologize."

Excuse me for asking.

:rolleyes:

7. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

Hi Rockable

Love your Coupe! I know what you mean as things move so fast on the Hamb that threads disappear so quick - I always subscribe to the threads that interest me so I can find them easier later!

8. adamambrs1

adamambrs1
    from wisconsin

To a point joining groups and interacting in them fills part of what rockable is sugesting. They stay more on the 1 topic you are after. Allso many good threads get a lil harder to find on main forums if the original creator didnt add things like tech, history, or pic during set up.