Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Yea, buddy!!

2. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

We all care Roy! Your car is the goal the rest of us aim for. Are they going to have any wheels up pictures? Brian

3. Troublemaker, that is a great pic of two great racers.
    Roy, looking forward to May issue.
    Roger

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;they are supposed to get with the Irwindale track photographer[Mike Morgan Photography] and see what he has.Most of the pictures were stationary,then he had me do some drive-bys. ROY.

5. Muttley

Muttley

Definitely looking forward to that issue.

6. Muttley

Muttley

Thats a great looking Comet, is it yours?

7. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

x2 on that one!
    george

8. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

A friend ,George Veltri, Newport News Va, owned a AFX comet about 1965..Car was purchased in Richmond Va from Manchester Lincoln Mercury ..Sold to someone in New Jersey..Anyone know if still exist??? I have a small photo will try to enlarge and post later ...Thanks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  9. Dan859

Dan859

Roy, Congratulations!! I'll be looking forward to seeing the article!!!

10. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Thanks and yes to be a daily driver. Right now it has a 260 in it. Soon to have a stroker motor with a 4 speed.

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Dan;Thank You. Are you back stateside,or still in the "Sandbox"? Any news on your 64? ROY.

12. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

No,not my car.But super cool reference for a model I'm working on.And thought I'd share with you folks.

However,I just missed getting this one recently.:mad:

[​IMG]

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;that looks like a Cyclone I tried to buy in 1969,it was sitting on a used car lot.I tried to get them to take my brand new 69 Mustang GT in trade,NO deal!!!!That 65 Cyclone is just plain BITCHIN!!!!! ROY.

14. Muttley

Muttley

OK, thanks. Is anyone here familiar with that car? I'm interested in finding out what headers those are.

15. Muttley

Muttley

Thats a great looking Cyclone. Its been on ebay a bunch of times, I guess the owner is having a tough time getting his asking price for it.

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Muttley;those were most likely custom built on that car,you would probably need to use a straight axle in order to have room.I have two tubes on the pass side and one on the driver side that go out and back under to try and get equal lengths[still not quite equal]. ROY.

17. TunnelBolt

TunnelBolt

Congrats on the feature Roy!! Going from Camaro Craft to Comet Craft!

18. projim64

projim64

Way to go Roy . Jim

19. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, I know...........just thinking about future modifications. ;)

20. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Muttley,did your Comet appear in HotRod deluxe or Rod&Kulture awhile back?

21. 1BADFE

1BADFE

Car was right here in my and Ken's backyard. I spoke to the guy last week and he said he sold to a guy in Ohio - $15K and had a couple guys on the list already if it feel through. Beautiful Cyclone!

22. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy, you going to make it down to Irwindale next Thursday?? After my photo-shoot, it'd be wild to match up our cars!!!! Can ya spot me a couple car length's?? Give those editors some REAL shots to look at!!:D

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;that sounds good to me,I'll give you a call next week.We can work out some kind of handicap,how about I leave when you pass the 60' cone?!!! It would have been great to have them in the same issue!!! I guess it might crowd out a red 69 Camaro with an LS,you know how rare they are!!!!! ROY.

24. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, theres a small picture of it at Eagle Field in the Winter 2009 issue of Rod & kulture. It still had the Redlines and a different set of Cragars on it in that photo. Not long after that magazine came out I put the skinnys & slicks on it.

25. Muttley

Muttley

Hopefully the new owner understands and appreciates what he has.

26. Dan859

Dan859

Re: 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Hi Roy,
    I'm still playing in the sandbox. I'll be back Stateside in July. The car's coming along great, and I can't say enough good things about what Mark's doing!! I'll fly in and pick the car up from him in July, and have my youngest son meet me there. We'll do a road trip from Texas to NY and stop in New Orleans and Tampa to see my other two sons, then on to Syracuse where my family lives. One of my older brothers has a 60 T-bird, and one of my younger ones is putting together an OT 70 Torino Twister with the 429 CJ and 4 speed. Once I hit Syracuse, we'll take all 3 cars to the Street Nationals there. Should be a good time!!
    I'm putting together the photos of the Comet, and I'll be doing a build thread on it shortly. It's coming along great, and should be quite the ride when it's done. I'll go into more detail on the build thread, but we're looking at 600hp in a 2800 lb. car. Mark's working out the rear suspension right now, so it should just hook and go.:)
    <!-- / message -->

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Dan;Mark and the crew are busting butt to get your Comet done so quickly!!!! I can't wait to see the build and final pictures.That sounds like a great road trip and great way to break in a NEW car!!ROY.

28. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy, Ken, and fellow Comet-idian's:D)

This is what I came up with this afternoon, to try to remedy the mess with the breathers with baffles blowing oil all over the top of the engine, after freeway driving, and a few drag passes. Its all stuff I already had, except the tubing. I know its an old VW piece for the collection tank, but its rough and tumble look, along with the old re-worked Moroso Crank evac baffles (Yup, old enough to say MADE IN THE USA!!!) does not seem to be outta place.I had to also ditch the old Ansen valve covers as well. The Comp roller rockers were "clearancing" themselves against the baffles, so I found a set of polished too new looking aluminum units I had and blasted them with sand to tone 'em down. Thoughts on the low buck blowby control device? Thanks![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;it looks good.Is there some kind of media in that box?Does it vent to the atmosphere?The VCs look good,not too modern looking. ROY.

30. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Thanx Muttley.I knew I saw it awhile back.And just remember how much I loved the look of your car.I was digging through stacks of zines trying to find it.

BTW,that issue has 3 Comets it in!:eek:
    That's more than CC showed in a decade!!
    Not to mention feature coverage of Dale's "identity crisis" Dart!

I'd like scan all 3 cars sometime to post here.