Register now to get rid of these ads!

More tri power problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 383 240z, Jan 12, 2011.

1. 383 240z

383 240z

Well I been hitting the swaps and collecting parts for my tri-power, I got a nice old Offy intake, and a pile of LARGE base 2G carbs. I just got off the phone with Automotion and he says I'm screwed. The intake is drilled for large base, yet he says NOBODY makes the base plates, or the thicker throttle blades for them. I'm not worried about the linkage, or the carb mods, but if parts are not being made, Im not sure I can suceed. the bolt pattern on the base is 3 3/4" x 2" Any thoughts? Any body want a good deal on an old intake? Keith

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Why not just drill and tap the intake for the small base carbs. Years ago I redrilled one from 3 bolt 97s to 4 bolt Rochester. The holes can be welded up or plugged with aluminum if they interfere with the new pattern. It worked for me.

3. 383 240z

383 240z

That is kinda what I'm thinkning, however I have to find the small base 2g carbs, It took me a whole summer to find the large bases I have. Keith

4. alumslot

alumslot

check out vintagespeed.com they make a ton of carb parts.

Jim

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

6. Jimv

Jimv

I hogged out my bolt holes on my large base 2G carbs & got them to work( i think) I didn't know there was small base & big base rochesters.I've been running them for 10 yrs now.I even converted over 2 primaries to secondires & made by own progressive linkage from a post here on the HAMB
    JimV

7. 383 240z

383 240z

OK Well I bought a small base rochester, this one is even a side inlet!! I'll be keeping my eyes open for more of them. I guess I will TIG the holes shut in my intake, and re-drill them to the small pattern. I guess I will just have to chalk this one up to a learning time. Forge ahead. Keith

8. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

check out mike wasson
    pontiactripower.com

lots imfo&parts.......
    gm factory tri power sealed the secondary butterflys with a product called dag213.....

9. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

To do the job correctly you certainly went to the right guy to begin with...
    Larry won't sway you with any bs or misinformation.

Just my two cents.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Jr

10. budd

budd

you can buy rebuilt small base 2G's for about $130 each, also there is a thread on here showing how to make your own butterflies, it is a thread about building your own EFI but it would work for any kind of butterflies.

11. 383 240z

383 240z

I picked up a pair of side inlets on egay for about $40 each, Looking for another I'll be saving my pennies for a while to pick up the special bases (gonna try to make them myself first) Still kinda irked that I have to TIG and drill my intake. Oh well why would bolting a carb to an intake be easy??

Anybody want to buy 5 large base 2 Jets and a set of 3 overhaul kits? Keith

12. burnout2614

burnout2614

Like the saying, If it was easy................ peace

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm not carb guy but how hard would it be to build a phenolic or aluminum adapter plate ?
    That may be easier than welding up everything and retapping.

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Resell the carbs ,The large base ones youll do good individually ,Parts stores can still get carbs ,If they have a supplier ,Any 307 .............71 .........72 Chevelle 2 barrel will do .