Register now to get rid of these ads!

Queensland Australia flood washing cars away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ-IRON, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Sad scary times for everyone!
    I feel guilty worrying about my car
    when people down the road are losing
    everything... Had it ready to go up
    the cemetery on the hill just incase!
    thanks DOCCO!!!!!!

2. yeah the loss of life is going to be bad particularly in the country areas (Grantham,Murphies Creek)at the bottom of the Toowoomba range. The water came thru these areas so quick most people had only a mater of minutes to get out of the way. it's just so tragic listening to the stories of houses getting washed away with people still in them screaming for there lives. how do you get out of the way of a wall of water 30feet high and half a mile wide.
    I think the confirmed death toll is 15 with about 60 or so still missing, with grave concerns for about half of them.

The community spirit has been awsome I know of about a half a dozen local businesses that cleaned out there food stocks and trucked them straight to the flood shelters.

Then I hear other stories of a large corporate grocery chain in the middle of Ipswich (which was in the first part of town to flood) who when asked if they could help with food donations said NO. The pricks just closed the doors and let the shop flood with all the food stocks still on the shelves. they had plenty of time to get stock out of there.

DocWatson you are a hero in my books, the things you have done for our country in your life are amazing, a true hero THANK YOU!:)

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Burtrido, I hope things work out for you. I am sorry to hear that the business went under but as everyone is saying material assets can be re-built, people can not, its good to hear you and your family are safe.

Copper Top, Jigger, Burtrido; Thank you for the recognition, I am blown away by it!!But guys don't be fooled I'm no different to anyone else, I just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time. I am still a cranky SOB with a bad attitude.

Doc,

4. you have every right to be a cranky SOB with the shit that you have witnessed.

A bad attitude, nuthin wrong with that.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bad attitude, nuthin wrong with that.
    And I'm good at it:D:p.

Doc.

6. The water has started to recede here in Ipswich. The clean up has begun.
    the road way has been cleaned pot holes filed and houses are already being striped for cleaning. Fuck I love this country and the people in it.
    These houses and roads where underwater this morning.

7. 63Compact

63Compact

That is some good news.

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Geno

I'm devistated to here about the loss is signsculpt. Sue, the girls and I are really glad you and Maria are ok.
    At least you have your house.

Can we do anything to help?

Sue and I want to shout you a return airfair for you and Maria to come down to Melbourne, spend some time here - do a hot rod thing or two and take Maria shopping when you two need to get away for some time to clear your heads.

Now I undertake why you haven't answered my text message - it's going to be ok.

Chin up my good friend

Mark

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now here is a dead set hero! Good on ya' Mark, what a guy this is why I love my country so much.

Doc

10. Umm thanks Mark,
    I haven't shown this post to Maria yet. She will be blown away by your offer, as am I.

I haven't received a text from you did you send to my current no.
    0432 760 255.
    This year was set to be a huge year for the business, I guess it still will be but for different reasons.

We have lost all of the physical things to operate a business but we still have our contacts and knowledge.

The support that we have been shown is just amazing from our suppliers and the friends we have made thru the bussiness in the last 3 years we have been trading. We have offers of help from as far away as Perth.

We haven't been allowed into the area to survey the damage yet. It may be tommorow or the next day.
    I will give you a call in the next day or so when we know more.
    Cheers
    Geno

Hi Mark, Sue and the girls,
    Your generosity is overwhelming (you made me cry). Thank you so much for your well wishes. Yes we are both ok (and the dogs too). We feel for all the people suffering a loss over this horrifying event. We have some tuff times ahead and we will prosper through this mess. We'll chat to you guys soon... thanks again. Maria xoxox
    (PS - don't mention hotrod events to Geno! I need him to focus on cleaning up this mess! :D) Love you guys!

11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Geno and Maria

You're welcome.

Might I say that there were tears all round.

Sometimes what's worse is that it takes events such as these to make us say that our good friends are just that - good friends.

Take care guys

Ring me when you want to - anytime

Mark

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

btw I have an old phone number

13. John in Oz

John in Oz

Has anyone heard how the Toowoomba boys have been affected.
    Warren has a shop there and Malcolm Case lives up there also.
    I am sure we will hear stories of cars lost!!!
    John Taylor have you heard anything?[/QUOTE]

DocWatson, thanks to guys like you who can help out, it is a tough job.

Those guys should be alright, I have spoken to a couple of guys from Toowoomba and all is well on the west side where these guys live. We used to live just very near where Warrens shop is and there would be no worries there at all.

Those floods were just through the centre of town from the east and west creeks flowing into the main creek through town. Hey that is still bad enough don't get me wrong. The flow comes down into the city and at the top of the hill where we used to live heading west the water would just flow to the west.

The real worry now is that there is a Tropical Cyclone forming again in the Coral Sea. The ground is that soaked now it will just flood again. So guys get your good stuff stored on high ground for a while.

We are all good out this way with just some localised flooding but nothing major. At work they are talking about flying some of our guys into an area to get the water pumps up and running again.

Our thoughts are with the folks who have lost their lives and their loved ones, some very tragic stories are coming out where one child saved his brother but lost his life doing so. The army guys doing the search for bodies now are the ones I also feel for in all the junk. I have a mate staying here who bought the car off Denise and he has been flying over a lot of the north and it is not good there still but the saving grace is the low population compeared with other countries, had this sort of flood hit somewhere in the U.S. and covered the same area there would now be possibly thousands of lives lost.

Fortunately Brisbane had notice that the water was coming so were able to gear up for it but the towns further west didn't have that chance the water just hit them. We have friends at Grantham as well but haven't heard any bad news yet so we are sure they will be alright. I was able to text another friend whoose home is on and Island now cut off because all around their place has been just washed away and the EH Holdens are also untouched right near where the flood came rushing down and they are thankfull and don't know how come their place was spared.

They were just saying on the TV it could be months befor some of the homes could have power because every building has to have an electrician check them out before they can be put on line again.

I have firends here from Oakey and they want to put on a car show to raise money there for rebuilding some of the towns buildings that have been damaged, I suggested waiting a while before they consider putting it on even though it will lift morel in the town there will be a lot to do between now and then and there will be no charge for entrants exept a charge when submitting and entry form which will be fully refunded when the entrant turns up. I will sponsor some prizes for her as well so they have some good give aways to entrants. Only one trophy which would be say the local Policemans choice or whatever.

Oh well keep safe guys and look out for each other, if anyone needs a car stored just let me know I have a couple of spaces here we could make room for.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  14. You guys in Victoria brace yourself it looks like it's your turn now..
    I hope you don't see the shit storm that we have had up here.

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Right now it's pissing down here, and really tropical weather - already 25C.

We will be fine here - hope others will be ok

16. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

OH man so sorry your business is a total loss.I can't imagine going through what you guys are dealing with.The pictures on the news here about your flood is devastating.

17. Ebert

Ebert

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you...

18. Btt

Keep sending up prayers, Now Brazil too... Any H.AM.B. members down there?

19. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I do know a few here in Victoria that are having to clean up business places and have one friend in the Rod Club that got out of his home with minutes to spare.

Still we are lucky down south not to have experienced the floods like that in Queensland.

I took this photo Friday night.
    [​IMG]
    I am told the driver of the truck did not listen and drove into the flood water.
    The two guys in the truck got told NOT to drive into the water but they did and it stalled then floated and the Police arrested them when they swam out.
    Rule 1 never drive into flood water.

If you attend the Castlemaine Swap Meet you will recognise the Football club rooms in the background. To give you an idea what it has been like here in one day I measured 75mm of rain to those who do not use the metric system that is 3 inches.

20. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Is there a end in sight for the rain?

21. Thanks for the update, much appreciated as my Australian geography isn't so hot.

Chop