Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buyers who say they want it andthen fade away.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19Fordy, Jan 12, 2011.

1. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Dood probably didnt want the big shipping price for that big bumper. That ads to the cost and must be considered.

2. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Wow! Your a complete dickweed! Get a clue shit head ! I was kidding, and not even to you!:rolleyes:

3. i have hit the road with CASH and wanted a back up deal on cars adv. here, they had them for sale and would not get back with a name adress and phone# lucky my first choice car was good :Dand i took it home??
    so why advertise if you dont want to sell?? seems weird to me

4. Been there myself. Was selling a heater for a 48 Chevy pickup. A HAMBER contacted me and wanted a shipping price. I took the time to weigh & measure the item. I got a price from UPS of $25 for packing & shipping.
    Got back with the guy (wish I could metion his name, if he reads this he knows who he is) anyway,
    he told me he would be sending a cashers check the next day. 3 days later I never got the check so I send him a PM again asking if he mailed it, responce was he sent it. 3 more days go by & I sent a PM to him again telling him I was concerned if he sent the check did he send it the right address.
    Never got a responce from him. I know he has got my PM's because I checked to see if he has been online & he has several times.

I lowered the price of the unit & I might even give it away to someone, but not to him. In fact I can't wait to see him trying to buy or sell something...PAYBACK CAN BE A BITCH!

Now if I put anything up for sale I will request a Cashers Check only for the shipping, the rest is COD.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. I get it all the time on Kijiji (ebay classifieds) and CL. I even get lower offers that I accepted via email and had them vapourize... part of the game. What bugs me is people who don't delete their ads when it's sold. I always put a sentence stating if the ad is up I still have it and still get people asking "is it still for sale?" duh read the ad sheesh! or the "men of few words" that reply with a price and their phone number. But the best one is one guy who asked about a fairly desirable OEM intake I was selling "if you happen to be coming to (name of a city 200 miles away) bring it and I'll buy it for sure"... Okay I'll get right on it...meanwhile I had two other offers.

6. 117harv

117harv

This may seem petty, but if you have a computor, internet, and the basics down to post an add, then why can't you post pics? I will see items for sale on other sites as well as here with one or no pics and they want $100.00 or more. Do you really expect me to send cash without seeing the item? Even worse is email me and i will send pics. Wouldn't it be easier to just post them? I get as many as ten PM's a day when i have parts listed, often wanting something related to but not what is for sale. I try and respond to all and i am sorry if i havn't.

I spend countless hours following leads and hunting down vintage parts, i find it rewarding to get them from a place of rusting and forgotteness to people who need them. In return i make a little for my time and it helps to fund my projects.

7. When I post a WTB ad I ask for all replies to be via PM or email only. WTB's always get jacked ... Ooooo! If he doesnt want it Im interested ...

8. Hell, I'd leave it posted for sale until I got the check. Money Talks Bullshit Walks

9. When I'm looking to buy, who ever is selling better have pics, if not, I just don't look.

10. gonejunking

gonejunking
    from NW USA

Well, I'm one that failed on my end. Wanted to buy some tail lites.
    Got a price, shipping, and the guys address. went and got a postal money order, addressed the envolope, stuffed the MO inside, then put it by the door to take to the PO in the morning. Gota call that night to go help out cleaning up a little oil in the gulf. Didn't have much access to a computer for the next couple of months, then when I got home, gess what was still sitting by the door? Went online, found a nasty note that said to keep my money. Didn't mean to screw the deal up, but I did.:mad:

11. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

If you read the rules here ALL responses to ads are supposed to be via pm, not in the thread. If I have something up for sale, I don't even go back to the thread, only check pms.

12. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

I've never been wrong yet bro! Haha:D

13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Highlander....as usual your comments are reasoned, blunt and correct.

I would like to say that the crowd of people here, nearly entirely, are great....theyre old school guys with whom I would have friendships with because we are so like minded. That being said...in any crowd you will have dipshits. I guess it is the rest of us that must educate them. They CLEARLY dont have a strong male role model in their life that taught them how to be a man. I am not saying I am perfect nor that I raised perfect sons but I will be goddamned if someone sees me as a someone who isnt true to their word. Shit happens that keeps you from honoring your word sometimes...but you know what you do then? Pick up the goddamn phone and explain the situation that's all...some people, and sad to say it seems to be the younger set lately, just disappear into the woodwork...the problem is they NEVER DISAPPEAR ENTIRELY! They always come back somewhere, somehow....

14. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

John...in the old days (pre internet) there was COD....now there is still COD...but nobody uses it anymore. I think the main reason is because of Ebays prevalence....since people became used to sending payment first...with Ebays feedback system you could see if you are dealing with a trusted seller...it has become the norm. I have to say that outside of here and Ebay I would be reluctant to send payment first because you cant verify if someone is honest or not. The secondary reason as to why payment is sent first is that the buyer is trying to buy something that the seller has...so you have to jump through his hoops. There is a different "balance of power" if you post a wanted ad and someone responds...it feels more like they are trying to sell you something...because they are...

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another facet to this is you gotta have big shoulders or thick skin. I was representing a car for someone. Went on for a while. They lowered the price and I had a live one. Did my thing and got it done at the "handshake" level. Went back to my office and cheerfully gave em the news to get..."I changed my mind. I want to hold out for a bit..." This is where folks should realize your courage and integrity. I immediately called my buyer and told the story chapter and verse, gave em some background on the folks, asked them to be patient and I'll try to sort through it, and no, there will be no price increase. I was told something different than what I'd heard the buyers thought of me. To that end I figure that if someone that accomplished is soured or feels my history is false because a seller fucked off, then maybe this gig isn't for them at all. Buy auction whores and leave me alone. Sadly I didn't find out what was being said for nearly a year. Still, no matter what the venue is I remain as I am and always have been. I don't shy away or avoid events because of one deal. Anybody that doesn't realize that things take a left turn now n then shouldn't be doing any of this stuff.

I'm guilty of looking. I look at things, get pics, think about it, but never "pull the trigger" unless I'm preparred to follow through. If I'm not real serious I'll say so. If I may have someone for something, I'll say so. "Send me some pics, I might be able to help you sell that..." Here's another thing too, if I'm in a deal and I'm getting paid, ALL OF THE PLAYERS KNOW THAT I AM. Some will walk off because you're getting paid for your time, knowledge, transportation, financial arrangements, it will flat out piss some buyers off. My creed at that point is "Fuck you, don't buy it." Most times if they try to go around me the seller I represent will tell them the same thing. I said it before, don't know who's quote it is, but it has to do with this topic:

"Integrity shows when nobody's looking."

16. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

My favorite is the guy that low balls ya, you accept the offer and then he bails out.

17. el shad

el shad

I was kidding also. Take your vag off and put your dick on!

Happy B-Day by the way.

18. 49coupe

49coupe

It's exactly why I askf for a decent deposit on stuff thats going to be picked up later. Too many talkers. I realize sometimes there are exceptional circumstances, but they are rare. The key is communciation. I've had a guy call me saying his wife took ill and he could not afford to pay me now since he had medical bills. I kept it for 4-5 weeks until he had the money.

19. I really can't say anthing bad. Sure I've run into a couple "I'll take it " folks on here, but considering how much I've sold and bought it's not even 2%. Most the Hamber's are serious and honest, they want what they want when they want it. If I could give any input it would be, some of the newbies should check with their wives before they pull the trigger and get themselves into that spot.

20. I have to admire the Highlanders views in #73 and agree. I suppose every generation has men and boys and thank my folks for instilling in me the notion of standing behind your word. Just the other day I bought something and it was'nt what I thought but I merely relisted it as it's just the nature of the beast. No worries, keep tripping. And for those who say my wife changed my mind or the car had a flat, that guy not buying my part ruined my chances to get the next part I needed, come on, we all have hopes and asperations with our old cars, but cash in hand is a done deal, period. I too hope to sell this part to buy the next but the reality is just that, cash talks and bullshit walks! To me, communication to whomever, buyer or seller is the key thing to a happy karma world, happy bartering!

21. Irvan

Irvan

I have a big box of parts all packed up in my basement waiting for the guy to send the money, he said he would take them on Nov. 16, 2010. I email him and he assures me he still wants them so we will give him a little more time. It seems easier than unpacking the box.

22. Labold

Labold

Sometimes deals fall into that "shit happens" category. There are no hard feelings at all if the buyer calls and tells me he is unable to follow through with his end of the deal for a legit reason. It's the run-around that gets old.

23. slepe67

slepe67

Here's a question along the same lines.

You've got an ad out there. You're selling a brand new piece, never been used. It was a bit pricey. The rules of the classifieds say "Dont post on the ad." Somebody posted an offer on there. The transaction with that guy didn't go much further. Shipping sucks. Now, everyone that wants to bid on the parts sees that offer, and wants to lowball off of said offer.

Is it morally acceptable to ask the Ad Poster to go into that ad and modify/delete their offer?

Am I a scumbag? Not trying to get rich, just trying not to take it in the poop chute too badly.

24. So? What's your point?

Maybe a better analogy would be the Chevy dealer that only has one Corvette. Can they only advertise it in one newspaper when there are a half dozen papers in the area? What about the radio, internet, or a sign out front, too?

If you send the dealer an email saying "I'll buy that Corvette", they aren't going to hold it for you if Jim from down the street walks in with a wad of cash.

25. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

yaa Rocky that 3M extreme tape is great i can work wonders making boxes to fit the part

got bumper ends boxed up for a Hamb guy then he changed his mind
    now everyone who wants them are on the coast and shipping is killing the deal, in some cases the only thing that might fly is a Hamb relay

one thing that would help is tell the buyer when your sending the money
    if something comes up notify the buyer about it and if you change your mind tell him
    the pending sale be can re-listed for sale on the ad and be sold which is the whole idea

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  26. 39Truck

39Truck
    from Sweden

Sometime it on another way ,seller get more money from another buyer
    and never reply back to tell about it . But most car people are honest and
    stand for what they have say.That is what i feel.

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you are referring to my 51 Merc bumper, a person who is serious buyer and knows how difficult it is to find one in good condition will usually "step up." 49-51 Mercs in junk yards are a rarity.

28. flamingokid

flamingokid

I had a case of spring loaded rear license plate frames that I was trying to sell individually.3 or 4 times,people would get my info,then I never heard back.I sold them at car swap meets for more money than I was asking here until I finally ran out.Then,magically,people suddenly wanted them.Go figure...

29. Life happens, sometimes.

30. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

What ever happen to "my word is my bond". If I give my word, whether I change my mind or not, I will go through with the deal. That's the way I was raised.