Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Chevy build journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robleticia, Oct 26, 2010.

1. johnnyjalopy

johnnyjalopy

dude this builds is killer..you have inspired me to get to work on my baby. i have been sitting on the side lines just watching to afraid of the welding and cool custom stuff..I am in brother....we got to show them four doors are cool too...dig yours man....here is my baby ROCKHELL. IM GOING TO JUST GO FOR IT! THANKS MAN!...johnny [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. robleticia

robleticia

WHAT??? And loose all that great patina??? haha! I've seen your car before on the four door thread, its gonna be fun! Go for it!

3. rob that car would be done if you stop going to your Zumba competitions.

4. robleticia

robleticia

or if I got off the HAMB! hahahaha....NO!

5. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

You are making that 4 door look awesome!!!! I really like the work you have done to it. Cant wait to see the continued progress. Keep up the good work and keep posting.

6. aintscaird

aintscaird
    from georgia

Hey man found your post tonight,bumper looks great,hood looks great. Has really got me excited about my own projects. thanks

7. robleticia

robleticia

finally got around to finish welding and grinding on the rear filler panel below the trunk here are some before and after shots. Not to crazy about the factory splash apron, that one is coming out and I am making a new flat smooth one this weekend.

Attached Files:

8. 51chevyrat

51chevyrat

i just hope mine when im done with it is as cool as your! looking good!

9. robleticia

robleticia

Had to go buy a die-grinder so I could grind the welds off inside the new radius. Them things work awesome! I hate it when I have to buy new tools!:D Anyway, knocked the welds down and mounted the bumper back on so you could see what it looks like. No body work yet, going to wait until I finish the splash apron. It was alot of damn work for something that most people will not even realize!:eek: Oh well, to me it was worth it!

Attached Files:

10. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

11. 51chevyrat

51chevyrat

totally worth it.

12. Racrdad

Racrdad

Totally worth it! Especially since you did all the work. :D One thing you guys are starting to notice about Rob is that he is very detail oriented. He was like that all the way back in the late 80's when we were building mini-trucks.:eek:

13. robleticia

robleticia

AWWW MAN! You had to punk me out on the HAMB with the mini-truck thing???? Oh wait.....I think I was due that one! Oh well, at least we finally got our heads on straight!

14. sinks88

sinks88

Im very happy to see a 4 door custom build! keep em coming, your re-newing hope that I dont have to get a 2 door ;)

15. Racrdad

Racrdad

At least I didnt post any pics of those gay paint jobs :D That probably would have got us both banned!!!

16. robleticia

robleticia

alright, we BOTH HAVE PHOTOS of some stuff we painted "back in the day", lets lay down our weapons! Thank God we grew up!

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto! Looking good, Rob!

18. Racrdad

Racrdad

Its a Deal !!! Good Lord what where we thinking back then?? :eek:

19. sgnova72

sgnova72

20. robleticia

robleticia

sgnova72~ so when is your build thread going to get started on your 50?

21. sgnova72

sgnova72

I may start it in the spring. I was trying to wait to pull it apart until I put up my new garage, but that project is getting postponed until late in the fall. Trying to save money to do both is tough, which I'm sure you know too. So

22. sgnova72

sgnova72

Whoops, typing at work, hit wrong key. I'll keep watching threads for ideas and when I can I'll start disassembly and start a thread.

23. robleticia

robleticia

I know what you mean, I bought my car three years ago, started working on it in a tent, decided to build a new house so all work stopped! So I did the same thing, kept reading threads and articles in the tech section trying to learn as much as I could during the down time. I cant believe I used to work under a tent, I love garages! The only problem is they are never big enough. I read on the Garage Journal where a guy said to figure out how big of a garage you need, then double that! He was right!

24. sgnova72

sgnova72

That is my plan, garage on house now is 30 x 30 and its full, three cars and all the kids toys, so new garage plan is 40x50. I went on garage journal too, thats how I got some plans. It is unbelievable the amount of info on here home or auto related.

25. robleticia

robleticia

40x50:eek: NICE! That would be on my dream list right now, maybe in about 5-8 years. I swear some times I just want to throw away all the kids stuff and my 26x26 would be fine! Kids...gotta love 'em.... cause you can't choke the crap out of them! :eek:haha!:D

26. sgnova72

sgnova72

LOL, thats for sure. Now get back out in that garage this weekend and give me some more ideas.:D

27. robleticia

robleticia

:eek:....Sir, yes Sir! So out to the garage I went, didnt get as much done as I would of liked to, but I guess I never do! First on the list was the access hole for the brakes, or should I say "lack of hole". So I cut a square out, built a frame out of flat bar and made a removable door.

Attached Files:

28. robleticia

robleticia

I was starting to get some surface rust on the bare metal in my floors so I cleaned them up with a cup brush and sprayed some rustoleum primer and black on them. I did this inside and under the car also. I am going to POR-15 the rusty metal but I used rustoleum on the bare metal because the POR-15 doesnt do so well on the clean metal. I will also spray the underside of the floor pans with undercoating at a later time. Oh yeah, painting upside down on your back under a car is alot of fun, took me about an hour in the shower to get all the paint off of me! I cant wait to do the POR-15, that shit takes like a week to get off of your skin!!

Attached Files:

29. robleticia

robleticia

ok, now on to the the more fun stuff! It was time to get rid of that ugly, rusty apron in the back. I wanted it to be flat and smooth so I took a piece of 16 guage and built a new one. I didn't get it 100% welded out but I will try and finish that tomorrow and get some more pics of it after I grind it all smooth. I think I took the bumper off and put it back on like 20 times trying to trim it to fit!!!! Here is a couple of pics of the apron....

Attached Files:

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn fine work, Rob. Living vicariously through builds like yours right now, just at a stall point on mine for various reasons. Go, man, Go!!