Register now to get rid of these ads!

windows not rolling down in the 48..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Draggin wagon, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

my 48 chevy's window's, both front passenger and drivers, will not roll down.. Could this be rust or? I have the panels of but there isnt much access to see the gears.. The rear ones work fine.. Has any one ever had this problem?:confused:

2. Crestliner

Crestliner

First thing, check the handles they strip easy.

3. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

the handle just wont move.. Like its jammed somewhere in the gears.. just cant see anything because of the small access panels..

4. DrJ

DrJ

PB blaster.
    Take the door trim panel off, then.
    Spray it on all the moving parts including the coils of the counterbalance spring.
    let it soak in over night.
    Spray it again.
    Work it easy until it breaks loose.
    It will.
    That stuff stinks like hell, but is magic.

5. 3onthetree

3onthetree

I'm working on an old Chevy pick up for a friend and it also had a driver's window that wouldn't go down. Once I managed to get everything apart, I found quite a few little wads of duct tape a previous owner had jamed into the the window channel I'm guessing to get rid of an air leak or a rattle????
    Are you able to get one of those tiny LED flashlights into the door cavity and a small inspection mirror in there as well, to see what's going on inside? That's what worked for me.
    You also may just have some grease that has gotten hard over the years and jamed things up. Can you get one of the little straws from a can of WD40 (or whatever) aimed at the gears or rollers?

6. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

I will try that... I'll spray some blaster on there and let it set tonight.. I tried to get the big flat head bolts out, but wow... they where in there.. Ill get them out if thats what has to be done..

7. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

the pb did its thing... Back in buisness... Thanks Drj

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

graphite powder in the bailey channel too...

9. sometimes the felt/cloth in the window channels bunches up.
    or could be a mouse nest in the gears.