Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do They Have Hot Rods In Hawaii?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrGasser, Jan 12, 2011.

1. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...'cause I'm on the verge of selling EVERYTHING, keeping one hot rod, (yeah right!), and moving there!
    I figure I can probably get a job at one of them re-sort hotels, find a little shack to live in, and just drive my hot rod and surf every day!!
    It used to not bother me, but now, this cold and snow is just irritating! And it gets worse as I get older!
    Now, what do I keep?...the coupe?...the gasser?...the sled?...

Attached Files:

2. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I'd keep all three and move to Arizona :) Cost of living is mega expensive in Hawaii.

3. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

saw some very sweet ones there, not cheap living thou. a gal of moo juice to close to 10 bucks.

hear you on moving there! my wife is a nurse and could get a 2 year contract with all costs paid to move. some nurseing agencies even offered free rental of a furnished condo for the time of the contract.
    i got to did to the move to AZ. at 63 north west NJ is to flipping cold for me now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. I second Arizona. Cost of living there is FAR cheaper than Hawai'i. Want to see the beach, California is right next door!

5. And the islanders don't like Haole's :D

6. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

We saw a t-bucket on the big island last month. If you do move, bring the smallest car so you can rail those narrow curvy roads!

7. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

I agree with that. I just moved out of cold Colorado to Arizona last year.
    Yesterday I was working on my car in the afternoon in shorts and t-shirt.
    Gotta love it! And it would truelly be very cheap living compared to the islands.

8. Lucky444

Lucky444

To answer your question Mr. Gasser....there sure are.

9. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

met some folks from a Maui car club had some nice cars on display. Course you locked into one place. Arizona....no where near the surf...

10. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

Naw ......... Hawaii would be great!!!

11. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

I spent a week in Maui late last year and found a hot rod cruise. About 30 cars a bad ass 41 willys coupe was in the mix. They have a had time getting parts but yes Hawaii has a decent hot rod culture

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ahh-live the dream, but think it through real good before going. There is a up side and down side to everything. Everything has a price tag. How many times have you been there? Which Island do you plan to live on? Individual travel from Island to Island expensive, especially if you want to take your ride to a show or drags on another Island. Have you ever stayed in a Hawaiian house, or just a hotel. Houses there constructed different than Mainland houses. Do you know anyone over there that you can use as a reference for renting a place and getting a job? Maybe locate a source over here to get some current copies of newspapers from over there. On your profile sounds like you have a ton of stuff to sell, which could help finance the move, pay deposits and living without a job for a while.Or, maybe you have a nice savings account.Try to line up a place to rent, forget grass shack, and a job before going. Do a wanted ad here for someone that could help get your stuff transported to Calif, and onto a ship. Your flight to Calif would have to arrive there to meet your car, etc and make sure putting in a container, etc goes smoothly. May have to be there a couple of days or more. Then flight to Hawaii needs to get you there when your stuff arrives. Need to arrange for some way to get everything from container to where ever you will live. Hopefully it will have a garage to hold everything. Then have to show up on time for new job. The bad economy is over there too, and lots of people looking for jobs. As stated, most everything more expensive there. May have to have to put surfing on back burner at first. Have you surfed before? Have a good roof rack to carry a surf board? You can do it, just don't sell everything and show up there with a suitcase and expect everyone to be glad you are there. Don't burn your bridges here when leaving, just by the slight chance you end up moving back to Mainland. Aloha

13. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Move to the Keys man!

14. They do but I can't imagine why in a state where the speed limit is 45 mph.

You just wanna be president don't ya.

15. Jaws just shipped his custom out and is in the process of moving there.

16. shanesflames

shanesflames

I go to Kona twice a year..leavin monday for a week. quite a few on the Big Iland.Went to a car show last summer and there was around 300 cars there.Around 50 were pre 63. I think its around 3.000$ to ship a rig...

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

No surfing there either, waves are about 8" high if any. Not exactly cheap either. But, if you are willing to at least show up for work only half drunk and most days, you are step above a lot of the competition.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Hawaii way too expensive. Even Denny's is out of sight. Why go to a place your not wanted? I'd rather go to Florida. Way cheaper and beaches just as nice and you don't have to go 5,000+ miles.

19. hartmankustomz

hartmankustomz

How could you compare Hawaii to anywhere else? Your Midwest heat bill this winter will make up the difference im sure www.808speedshop.com

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

hartman, have you ever paid $10 for a gallon of milk? Any idea what a house costs in Hawaii? Gallon of gas?

21. come to nuevo mexico!!!! you get all seasons

22. beauishere

beauishere

Hawaii is terrible, just terrible. You don't want to move there.

23. hartmankustomz

hartmankustomz

Im from the California coast and we are 2 cents under Hawaii on gas right now. thats enough for me, not saying anyone can live in Hawaii, yes i know what stuff cost out in Hawaii i just came from there, its not for the faint of heart thats for sure.

24. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

even the native islanders get sick of the costs and being island locked. a buddy from the big island is now in orlando and enjoying the freedom to move around,loves not haveing to drive for a 1/2 hour to get a roll of bath room paper.

the $10.00 a gal for milk came from my buddy who just moved to the main land from the big island.the real price he told me was $9.65 when he left in nov last year .one has got to remember thier milk gets shipped to them from the main land. via air every day.

25. hartmankustomz

hartmankustomz

Took the words right out of my mouth.

26. Phil;
    South West Arizona is the place to live.
    Serra Vista is very Hot Rod Friendly.
    If I could sell here in Alpine we would move tomorrow.
    Nice homes for a good price in Serra Vista that or Henderson Nevada also good price on homes.
    Our daughter lives in Henderson.
    It gets hot in in the summer "110" and can get very cold "32"on some days in the winter.
    Hawaii is way to costly to live, Homes, Gas, Food all big $'s plus the pay is not that good in Hawaii.
    I have a very good friend living in Serra Vista who is in to Muscle Cars and Hot Rods.
    He is building 502 BB to stuff in to his very nice 55 Chevy.
    He also has stock looking 51 Ford with all Corvette running gear.

27. TMunster

TMunster
    from Las Vegas

Henderson NV is Las Vegas, they just wanted a little recognition is all, homes are going for cheap here sure, but good luck finding a job. one of the worst hit cities in america for unemployment and forclosures, im one of the lucky ones with a for sure job and no chance of lay offs. good luck

28. Lucky444

Lucky444

If you're serious about moving out here you can PM me with any questions.

Everywhere has it's up side and down. Just don't be lulled by the fantasy that living out here is a care free tropical wonderland where you can catch and grow your own food, etc. Real estate is at a premium. Probably some of the highest rental and home sale prices in the country. Living on the neighbor islands is way more mellow for sure, but the bad economy has hit hard all over and the reality is, it is difficult to find work. Not to mention living on a rock in the middle of the ocean comes with it's own set of psychological issues. When you get sick of driving around in circles and feel the need to be on the mainland...that's what we call "Rock Fever"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! Just a reality check so you know what you're getting into.

29. nope... no hot rods in hawaii.. they made it a felony to own one a few years back after a congress representitve's kids car lost its steering and they went careening into an active volcano... it was on CNN for a week.. you don't remember that?