Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Who collects license plates? If so what do you do with them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Jan 10, 2011.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

So I am sure many of you collect plates and either use them for there original purpose or just hang them on the wall in the garage or where ever. But I had a pile of these NY plates and thought what the hell why not use them for something else and well this is what I did with my useless collection of plates. :D It is not finished yet but I plan to have it done soon.

Attached Files:

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

3. lorodz

lorodz

i have a couple of good one ..a couple 1932 1 single 1 set
    some 28 some 1929 sets a 1950 set a 1955 a 1956 all ny plates

4. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

I've got a 34' plate that came off my model T and a 48' texas truck plate I found at the dump, both hanging on the wall above my computer. I have a few others in storage.

5. daddio211

daddio211

I do, see my signature. Also looking for a pair of 26 or 27 Utah plates.

6. yup I have about 30.. from the 50's to the 00's all from az.. and all came from my cars...

7. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I collect them on the bumpers of my cars

8. I have a few also, but use newer ones on birdhouses and my grand-daughter really wants me to make her a purse using a few so they're more than wallhangers. In that category do have one each from Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, Korea and a few from Cuba.

Zap-

9. burnout2614

burnout2614

Probably have a hundred or so BUT you are putting yours to better use! peace

10. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I know for sure that I am not the only one doing something other than hanging them on cars and walls..............lol.....I seen them used for purses and other stuff as well I am just wondering if anyone here on the HAMB is using them for other forms of Art.

11. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Well way back in the past when you couldn't afford nothin and had to make due with what you had my great grandfather used a set matching New York '31 plates to patch a hole in his roof of his house under the shingles. When my cousin had the roof redone they found the plates. They looked brand new. He has'em on his wall. I've got a couple. A '55 NC plate and a '58 Delaware plate that weighs a ton, they collect dust.

12. Igosplut

Igosplut

I have about a hundred or so from the 40s to the present day, but I don't have any room left on my shop walls for them. I do have about thirty motorcycle plates (my own and others) up though..

13. Untame

Untame

Same here. I don't care if they're mine or how old they are, I just grab any that aren't wanted.

Untame

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

That is one of the coolest, most unique pieces of artwork I've seen in a long time. I absolutely LOVE it!

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, collect and use them.
    [​IMG]

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Made an interior out of mine.............

Attached Files:

17. This caught my eyes at a car show. One of the coolest uses for old license plates.

Attached Files:

18. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

the walls in my dad's garage are covered in them along with many vintage oil and gas station signs. My dad has an obsession with license plates :)

19. atomicclutch

atomicclutch
    from pgh, pa

i got 20 or so hangin' from the bulkhead in my gameroom/bar room. great for hangin'

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I've got a few license plate purses as well
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the technolical term might be fetish.:D

21. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Wow! Denise you have a very cool collection. I love the fact that they are used in all different types of applications. Thanks for the kind words on my piece I hope to have it done in a few weeks I only get to work on it in between other pieces of art.

That is another cool piece.

This is cool but I have a question. Do you get glare in the interior when driving at night from the on coming traffic? I am just curious because I am sure those plates if anything like mine are very reflective. :D

22. mj40's

mj40's

I'm collecting all of the state plates for 1940. Doing pretty good and only 9 to go. I'm missing Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi and South Carolina. Alaska and Hawaii were not states in 1940 but I would not turn them down. Any out there?

23. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

just gotts afew. Found a '40 for my truck.
    I'LL KEEP THE LIDS OPEN FOR YA MJ.

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At one time I had over 3000 (Yep, that's not a typo) plates, but I sold off most of them and just kept my core collection which consists of a couple of hundred license plates, mostly of NYS and of all the different years & types (commercial, taxi, trailer, etc.). I also collect Disabled American Vetern (DAV) tags and original mailers and other related items.

I also have a pretty extensive collection of gas station memorabilia, especially Mobil & SOCONy-Vacuum products.

I think I need therapy.................................

25. Gator

Gator

Here's a piece I did a while back. [​IMG]

26. This looks great.................Do I need to send you a Rhode Island plate? Maybe just the "dot" between the R and I......

27. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Nail them to the walll in the shop

28. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

I just hang mine up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. totally sick!!

30. Labold

Labold

There were some college kids here in Bowling Green that started a company called "recycle revolution" that made purses, cd cases and things like that out of old license plates. My wife ended up with one that uses small (later 30's) hubcaps on the ends and the purse is round (made of old license plates). They also made other stuff like belts made of old seatbelts, some with old bottle caps riveted on them. The stuff was cool, very creative, and very affordable. They ended up selling out to a another company (great earth?) and now the purses are like $125 and the belts are $50ish.

btw- don't piss a lady off holding one those purses, you could lose a tooth.