Register now to get rid of these ads!

DFW Hamber to teach welding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john~N~dallas, Jan 11, 2011.

1. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

If this is against the rules sorry. Any Dallas Ft. worth Area Hamber willing to teach me to Weld? I can pay for your time, and materials.... maybe there are other Hambers that would like to learn as well and we can all pitch in for the lessons. I know I am going to get the comments take a class at your local community college. I was going to try that but my job schedule changes often and the college will not let me alternate between day and night classes so I am out of luck. Thanks John<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

2. rschilp

rschilp

How much do you want to learn?

Mig?
    Tig?
    Oxy/Acy?
    Alu?
    Stainless?

I've got a shop in Wylie and some of us have enough welding expertise to teach you teh basics.

3. Call Mr. Credicott at TCC south campus. He heads up the welding school. I know that he will teach someone, one-on-one. He knows his stuff.

4. Sorry, meant to say he will teach one-on-one outside of school.

5. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Rschlip. I would like to learn as much as I can of course, but yeah the basics so that I can practice on my own. I think Tig would be the way for me to go. I would like weld body panels, floor board&#8217;s non structural stuff. I will PM you so we can set something up. Thanks again John<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks for the others who posted and sent pm's I appreciate all the help.<o:p></o:p>

6. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I'd love to learn to weld myself. I want to learn when I was 16 I'm now 52 and still haven't got er done. good luck to ya....

7. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I think you should learn how to MIG first.

8. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I'm a self taught stick and Mig welder, not too good with gas. But, I went on a one week welding course a couple of years ago, learned a few new things.

One of the most interesting things I saw about Tig welding was a slow motion, close up video showing the exact motions and movements. I went and did my first ever Tig run after that, and it came out damn near perfect! Even the instructor was impressed.

I'd bet that Youtube will show a few decent educational welding videos.

I'm at work offshore and our connection is too slow to check myself.

9. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I absolutely agree, a great teacher and I'm glad to hear he is still there- I had heard they were going to eliminate the classes so this is great news for anyone in the area that wants to learn any form of welding.
    Tom

10. John, dont overlook the fact that learning to stick weld first, will make you a excellent welder. One of the keys to ANY type of welding is learning to watch and regulate your puddle. Learn how to do that with a rod and buzz box, and you will become a excellent welder.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  11. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

I would like to say thanks to temper_mental ... What can I say what a great guy. Thanks for taking time out of your day, having me over at your shop and teaching me as if we have known each other for years. I learned a ton and i was having so much fun i wasnt even cold! I really appreciate everything! Thanks again John

12. TexasDart

TexasDart

we need more welding classes....I'll sign up. This is on my list of things to learn.

13. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Maybe it's time to put together a class, somewhere in the middle so other folks can join? With a real welding instructor??

What do you boys think about that?

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

14. bigken

bigken

Eastfield College, is begining a Hot-Rod Program. Starts Wednesday.............taught by Frank Milsap. owner of Sachse Hot Rod...........
    ABDR-2570-4501

15. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Only problem is, sometimes you just can't make a set class time because of work, kids, life. I've never been able to take a class like this because of my trade and it's life sucking tendencies.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

16. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Sorry I have been out of town.... But yeah I am game for a class if we can find an instructor to teach us... I am in for sure!! John

17. spooler41

spooler41

When I was a young man of 20 or so,I had a '37 Chev cp. that needed some small rust holes welded. A older freind ,said I've got a old O/A welder out in the shop, why don't you take it home and see if you can learn how to use it. A little reading and about 6 hours of practice ,I pretty well had it figured out.Long story short! 50 years later, I'm still welding ,just not making a living at it.

..........Jack

18. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

DFW this is what we need! (or atleast I do)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559598&highlight=welding

all we need is a shop some welders and some know how.. im sure we can come up with welders and know how we just need a place... I dont have any of the 3.... I wish i did. I do have cash which could help pay for (light bill, materials, time, food, whatever)

19. I've been looking for the same thing! My Dad took classes through Paris Junior College but it's out in east Texas. I'm up in Allen and would be up for classes in DFW area. I looked into Eastfield College but it's 2 nights a week for 4 hours each from aug to Dec. That's a lot of time away from my family and I travel some.

Let me know if anyone is still interested!!

20. First I would like to tip my Hat to you for starting this. My son is 14 going on 15 and He has expressed wanting to learn how to weld. I hope to start a thread like this as soon as I move to KS. I am in the Army and will be relocating soon. Once again congrats on making a step to wanting to learn a great trade, and giving a HAMB'r the opportunity to make some money. This will not only keep the trade alive but help young RODDER's.

21. ironrodder

ironrodder

Taught stick, tig, mig and flux core 10 years straight and off and on for 22 years. I use to tell students that they had to teach themselves I could only show them the right way and tell them where they went wrong. It's hand to eye of the individual. Most did very well, some I would never walk on or under their welds. Not everyone is meant to do it but the main thing is, like the old joke "how do you get to Carnegie Hall ? Practice,practice, practice"

22. My favorite quote from WOODPECKER "You dont need to spell to weld"
    Check out his thread this Guy is talented.

23. Will350z

Will350z

I'm down for this, if we can get something going!

24. aaggie

aaggie

I remember my begging the guy that owned the wrecking yard to teach me how to weld and finally he relented and showed me how to strike an arc and keep a puddle going. I was about 10 and the welder was something that resembled a 55 gallon drum sized bug zapper with plug in holes all over the outside. I probably burned up a 100 pounds of Army surplus rods that Summer and the skills I picked up have served me well.

I'm 68 now and over my life I went to a few schools to pick up the new stuff and I have a good TIG, MIG and gas setup in my shop that I do pretty good work with. A teen neighbor has been hanging around asking questions so I guess it will be my turn to pass on some knowledge. I wonder if I was an agravating little shit like he is?