Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 Chrysler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Chrysler, May 1, 2007.

1. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

I welded the bottom of the grill shell back on, then bent 3/8 round stock to the inside contour of the lower section.
    After welding that to the inside of the shell, I cut the pan portion of the grill shell off.
    I still have more welding to do and some final shaping but it is stronger than new and fits with the fenderless theme now.
    I have a couple ideas for the insert, I will surprise yall with that later.
    http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/wahoo172/?action=view&current=DSC_0019.jpg

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/wahoo172/?action=view&current=DSC_0020.jpg

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/wahoo172/?action=view&current=DSC_0021.jpg

[​IMG]

I have decided to cut the rear quarters up, I cant seem to find a rear axle wide enough to hang the tires outside the body anyway,
    so I am gonna tub it like I have been scared to until now. It will look alot more like a drag race car after this mod!! Stay tuned.<!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->[​IMG]

2. signalsteve

signalsteve
    from NH

what did you do with the rear vent windows? are they for sale? thanks

3. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

This project has been on hold for nearly a year, life got in the way. We had to re roof the house and get new insurance, then decided to build a garage. Here is one picture of the newly finished garage

[​IMG]

And now that I have a decent place to work on the car, the work can continue. We moved the car back in yesterday afternoon, so today I started mocking it up with the 413 block, an old set of heads and a borrowed set of Hooker super comp fenderwell headers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have moved the body up since these pictures, I am thinking less channel than I originally planned.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

lookin good ,keep on it

5. 1933BOB

1933BOB

Very cool, Chrysler was fazeing out this model in 1934 to introduce the air flow. They DID make a 5 window coupe in thirty four but only 1650 trunk models and 1700 rumble seat models, they look just like the Dodge with chrysler grill, hood, fenders and dash and different window trim. I have a trunk model 34 ...... Keep up the good work:)

6. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

1933BOB,
    Thats cool! thanks for sharing that info, I have seen pictures of coupes, never seen one in the flesh though.

Here is what I have been up to lately, I got the 60 Panhead all dialed in so it is time to start working on the 34 again. I have been driving myself nuts about the shape of this car at the tail. I wanted to modify the wheel wells on the car and had been thinking alot about the best way to do it and how to finish the very end of the car after I cut the beat up stock tail off. So when I saw the 34 sedan shell for sale a few weeks ago, I just had to have it. I wasnt sure how close the two cars were to being the same width or length, lets look.....https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...44708489.39269.100001692429930&type=1&theater

[​IMG]

I gained the rounder radius of the Ford wheel opening and it sections the quarter about 3 inches. I may have to bring the whole quarter forward to line up with the rear window section, that will make the body lines on the rocker panels even better than they are at this location. The 34 Ford tail section is much shorter than the Chrysler, another plus in my eyes. It was a gamble I am very happy with, this gives me the renewed drive to get back to work on this car. I see big changes in the near future!

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Cool project. My '36 was a Tudor Touring (trunk back) Sedan. I cut about 10 inches off the tailpan (well, about 6 if you count the 4" that was already rusted off), similar to what you've done with yours, but the 34 Ford quarters will look better. That long tail, even truncated (trunk-ated?) is the only thing about mine that bothers me.

The light chop as photo shopped by James D early looks just perfect!

Brian

8. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

another project?