Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Belvedere 4 Door Gone Mad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racrdad, Sep 16, 2009.

1. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Love the car, great work
    My 2 cents, Keep the open wheels, looking at the sketch in pencil flat fenders and running boards, my first thought was the "alaKart" not that thats a bad thing, just what popped in my head.
    Open wheels makes me think "Outlaw" or against the grain kinda build.
    I dig it.
    MrC

2. Racrdad

Racrdad

Glad you can dig it!

It will stay open wheeled, I like fenders on some cars just not this one.
    "against the grain", my life story. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing though!

3. JThw8

JThw8

Followed this one back when I was still jsut a lurker. Glad to see it progressing. Amazingly cool build. Good luck with the move!

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Love the Edsel grille. PLEASE no front fenders.

5. Racrdad

Racrdad

Well unfortunately the 59 taillights are actually this BIG on the car. Oh well, the search continues.....

Attached Files:

6. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Dude the 59 chevy lights look killer full sized, Id find a way to make them work.

7. Racrdad

Racrdad

If I went with the 59 taillights there would be a frenced area at the bottom about 5 inches deep and I just dont think that would look good. The valence area below the trunk just steps out to far.

8. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Heres a quick thought. full size tail lights and lift the plate up and sink it in. No nerf bars.

Attached Files:

9. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Gotcha, that could be a pain.

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Wow, I had no idea they were that big. How about lights from a '61 Mercury Comet?

11. skoh73

skoh73

Could you section the lights and lenses? Maybe remove the second section from the bottom in the above pic. If they need re-chroming anyway and you really like the look of those particular lights...

12. FB/ EK Holden might work there. You'd have to import from Australia. Google, Ebay..

Or tunneled rounds w/ expanded aluminum behind a big red t/lucent panel?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  13. Bob Heine

Bob Heine

If you go with the Edsel grille, why not taillights as well.

The '58 Edsel had two-piece taillights that are probably as big as the '59 Chevy taillights...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    But if you use just the outer half....:
    [​IMG]

The '59 Edsel taillights are probably too big (that's an eighty-inch wide car so those taillights are probably over two feet)...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Racrdad

Racrdad

Good suggestions guys, thanks! I will look at the comet and edsel lights.

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

These would look cool if you swap sides and stand them up, the curve looks like it may match.

16. robleticia

robleticia

^^^^^I was thinking the same thing, but I bet they will be too long. Great idea though. Two piece Edsels look like a good option?

17. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

How's about a set from a '57 Belvedere? Looks like it would be a close match... Just saying :D

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

19. robleticia

robleticia

20. Erwin

Erwin

Can't help but be biased because I'm a deuce guy, but I think the sides of the body between the front (cowl) ,and front of rear wheels need to be pulled inboard from top to bottom as it meets the frame. That airplane fuesalage profile that Ford roadsters have from a bird's eye view .

21. Racrdad

Racrdad

Funny you said that. I just bid on some 57 Belvedere taillight housings on epay. I didnt have any housing and hadnt seen any, only was finding lenses. Maybe my search is over..... :D

22. robleticia

robleticia

Where is the guy at the beginning of the thread that was crying about you hacking up a wrecked four door Belvedere??? I bet he has some lights he would like to donate to the restoration!

23. Plowboy

Plowboy

I always thought it was funny when someone would photoshop ideas on one of my cars. It would be great if you had a "shrink" function for all of the available parts. ha ha

When it comes down to real world building sometimes it is hard to find the right part that is actually scaled right AND looks good.

I like the Edsel grille much better as well.

24. Racrdad

Racrdad

Plowboy, havent you seen this yet? Man, I thought everybody had one already!

[​IMG]

25. 76cam

76cam

^^^^now thats funny^^^^

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahaha !!! Want one . . .

27. MyDeSoto

MyDeSoto

Being a '58 Plymouth owner, of course I've been following this one! And while I have no immediate plans to cut my car up, I do have a parts car that may get chopped up for something, someday.

That aside, this has got to be one of the freakin' COOLEST rod jobs since the Atomic Punk!

With that in mind, something that always caught my attention were the crazy exhaust systems from the 50's. Case in point would be the exhaust ports on '57 and '58 DeSoto's. With that in mind, how about converting the 'fin' cavities to giant exhaust ports, complete with extruded tips, while using '65 Impala taillights on the rear tail panel? Just fartin' around with ideas, but must say I am WAY jealous of the look this little hot rod is taking on!

BTW, the next time your looking for '57/'58 Plymouth trinkets, drop me a line and I'll gladly check my parts cache. More than happy to help out!

~MyDeSoto~

Attached Files:

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mmmmmm . . . just crazy enough, Doug might like it!! Whoa be unto him who's standing in the wrong spot upon takeoff!! :D

29. robleticia

robleticia

Man I need to get photo shop so I can mess with his A.D.D.!

dad-bud likes this.