Register now to get rid of these ads!

55chevy car w/ 59 truck axle????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by juniorsrodshop, Jan 11, 2011.

1. juniorsrodshop

juniorsrodshop
    from nh

im currently building a 55 2dr sedan and i know the real hot setup to build a gasser is an econoline setup but i have a 59 chevy 1/2 front axle setup... will it work? i know anything will work but i want a correct stance.

thanks rich

2. Butch M

Butch M

I used a 54 chevy truck on mine..

3. Define correct stance. If you are building a period correct gasser IE pre '64 you have to stick with an OEM type of suspension, that would be A arms and no suspension or body lift is allowed.

If you stab a straight axle under there you would have been moved to Altered that would make you run with the bantums etc. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. The Dodge Chargers group did alright in that class.

Of course back then there were a lot of outlaw tracks so maybe you can throw the rules out the window.

Ya know I didn't answer your question. I'm so sorry.

Snag a tape measure is the track width too wide or too narrow for your car? If not then it is just a matter of doing it and adjusting the ride height with your springs.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  4. Picaninny

Picaninny

Lets see some pic's of that 55

5. Badhabit

Badhabit

Sorry I don't know the econoline width off-hand, but I know "they" used them. I think you'll find the 47-54 Chevy/GMC axle is a good width. Look at Butch M's, which I think looks perfect. Those axles are 53-54" kingpin to kingpin, very close to your stock 55 Chevy ball joint width. That '59 axle you have is about three inches wider. So it's a decision. The "Puddin 55" also used a 53" axle, albeit a tube axle and also looks great.

6. Badhabit

Badhabit

Great comments, many think it's a rule that gassers HAD to have a straight axle!

7. Mac_55

Mac_55

Yes , yes it will. and the plus of using 55 2nd desing -59 axles are the springs hit the stock frame perfectly . i didnt stub my frame , just removed a arms . Several guys have done it this way and it works fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

The 59 axle will work just make sure the front rims are narrow.