Register now to get rid of these ads!

51st Annual KOI Cavalcade of Customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roller Coaster, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Come think of it I went in at around 5 and left at 9 something on saturday, which is about as long as I think I've spent at any show.

I bought a bunch of bodywork stuff while I was there, took in part of the pinup girl contest, talked to the exhibitors, and even saw some BMX guys.

The line for that iCarly girl was astonishing. Now *that* was a lot of non traditional show attendees, right there!

Seemed like plenty of cars and it was packed inside. I thought it was kinda cool there were so many civiillians there and not just car dorks.

I was skeptical about the format, it sounded kinda nuts to have everything from BMXers to British cars to deloreans and customs. Somehow it worked just fine and I had a lot of fun.

I've been going to shows in california for a long time, I had as much fun at this one as i've had at any of those.

It's all in what you make of it, ultimately.

Thanks to everyone that helped put on the show.

2. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

Josh, GREAT WORK as always, the people that matter know you bust your ass to pull Survivor's alley off.....mock up, drag car, rat rod, unfinished, whatever....it is the main draw for Cavalcade now....I appreciate your invite for my "Mock-UP"...was glad to be one of the seven sinners that were unable to drive their car yet.....then again, I only had three days! Thanks again, see you next year!

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I for one was stoked to see the a bunch of different cars there this year. And as for the BMX show, that is something that was started upstairs in 1982/3 by my father and SQUIRES MEMBER BEN HOBB's (R.I.P.) and myself, for us guys that where into racing and freestyle, whos father/mothers also had cars there in hopes of keeping the "indoor car show's" alive for future generations by getting kids interested. And well it has stuck and drawn a huge crowd for years. Does it belong in a car show, maybe not, but you also have to understand that having a carshow of this size takes tons of work and money! and this show in the big scheme of things is a WAY TO MAKE MONEY for the club that has been putting it on forever. And in order to make money with an attraction of this size you need to have things thats gonna cater to alot of different walks of life in order to make it profitable to keep it up for 51, yes 51 years straight. Me for on I loved sticking the little kids in my truck this year and on my choppers/bobbers in the past and seeing there faces when they realized they could sit behind the wheel of a car that was in the show.(now let me set the record straight my truck is not a show car/ nor a "true survivor" and I know that but the little kids did'nt). And yes there is always someone who is gonna say its lame, or this does'nt belong, or thats a P.O.S. (ok that pos was my truck.lol but it did serve its usefullness this year! those who were there know of its usefullness..lol). Everyone has an opinion, my opinion is that if it was'nt for the guys like Greg McDanials, and Joshua Shaw, for taking the show under there wing and putting it together the show would not be what it is today, which in my OPINION is a great "INDOOR SHOW".. Thanks again to all who came down and supported the show by either putting in something or spending the cash to bring down the kids in hopes to keep the tradition alive. (And to the CINCY BSM crew where did all the beer go? ha)

4. You either get it. Or you dont.

There was almost anything you could have wanted in the display we ALL had a part in- be it ORIGINAL and PERIOD PERFECT representations of- drag cars, open wheelers, lakes cars, hot rods... hell, even your creepy crawlies. If you couldnt find anything positive to say or that suited your liking this last weekend, then you sure as hell dont belong at the show or on this forum.

Thanks to everyone involved, was a killer weekend (as always). hopefully if this show didnt suit your needs you can have your own one day that will. Otherwise, we will all be doing what we have been doin... and having more fun than you anyways.

TH

5. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

I was there all weekend. loved every minute of it. Shaw works his tail off to put the Survivor's Alley together and its the only reason I still go to the show. The cut down 4 door sedan into a 5 window coupe has more work and thought into it than most any car sitting on glass mirrors and its not even close to being finished. My hats off to everyone with mock-ups and thank you Josh.

6. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Josh, Excellent job. I know it is a hard and almost thankless job, but you did good! If someone couldn't find something they liked, then they will never be satisfied. If anyone ever built a complete car themselves, then they would really appreciate the "survivors" section. Like the Harley guys say IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN-----------
    Good Job and Keep it up.

7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

He said "CREEPY CRAWLIES":D

8. Tattoozzz

Tattoozzz

I too was there most of the weekend and constantly had to battle to find parking outside and make my way through the crowds inside. It was a ton of people and a great time! I can not begin to think of all the work that these guys put into this show. Josh somehow out-does himself every year and has grown this thing the right way with the right cars time and time again. We should all just feel lucky that we have the right folks at the wheel on this deal and be proud of our indoor show that represents our city.

As far as the BMX & Icarly stuff, who really cares man? As a father of two small girls, it's a great way to get my kids to willingly want to spend the day at a car show. If I have to spend 20 minutes with them to get their pic with Spongebob and get 3-4 hours of their attention showing them hot rods, great history and great people, that's a no brainer.

A special thanks to "all" you mock-up guys. You do more work than anyone else to get your cars down there and it is awesome to see them in progress!

9. zeropercrandc

zeropercrandc

josh thanks for all the work you put into the show... i love to see the old race cars..... and the slot car drags kicked some ass..... only problem i found with the whole show was..... its so popular that you cant squeeze any more people in there.... which by no means is a problem too me..... ill continue my yearly trip. its on of my favorite shows.....

10. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

a big thank you to josh for all his hard work on the survivors alley. i know he works hard and i appreciate him letting me have my mock -up junk in the show. i guess if i worked harder and more late nights on my sedan turned into a coupe it would not have been a mock up. oh well. guess i am just a slacker!
    THANKS JOSH!

11. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Some day I hope to be a slacker with the amount of mock up cars you guys turn out! ha

12. "A" Tub

"A" Tub

Josh, You win hands down once again! Great Job! Sorry I couldn't come through and get something in this year. Mock-up's are good to show some of the posers that these cars done put themselves together. Few years back when I had just the chassis for #513, people were astounded of how they go together. Keep it up and start lining them up for next year.

Attached Files:

13. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

We ride up from Louisville just because of the "alley" That is the only reason I go. Its kinda like detroit I just go for the basement show. I like the mock up cars better than most of the stuff that is done. The work in that 5 window that was unreal.

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Well put!

------------------

Thanks for the kind words fella's. I damn near dropped me in my tracks this year, but I'd have went down smiling!! :p

------------------------

WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE THE MOCK UP CARS AND CHASSIS. As a builder, (like all my guys are) it is invaluable to be able to look at how a guy does certain modifications to his Hot rod. When I was building my 32 I spent Countless hours lookming for garages to go to to actually see an "in progress" build just to learn!! I guarantee you more things were learned for FUTURE PROJECTS being built off of our Mock up cars, than the Shinny, hide everything, cover the engine with the air cleaner show cars up front. (come to think of it, when was the last time you saw one of them displayed with out a BUILD BOOK showing what all all was done?)

Sorry, my "3D - actual size rolling Build Books" will be returning every
    year.

------------------------------------

Read this again please:

Survivors alley is for HOT RODS. Old unrestored and restored race cars that have Survived. Traditional style HOT RODS and the basic RAT RODS. VERY FEW CUSTOMS will ever be in that display. If it's a 60's car it's a Drag car.

It doesn't say ONLY Survivors, however we have a lot of them.

All the cars in my Display are original steel.. Who's to say there not ALL survivors?

------------------------------------

Johnny1290... Who ever you are, Thanks. I take back all those rude things I say about Cali.. well... a couple of them. :D:D

-------------------------------------

"and the only 49-51 merc there that i remember was sitting there being ignored as well"

My point exactly.. Most Hot rodders in Cincinnati like HOT RODS.

----------------------------

I ride BMX weekly so... no need to go there.

--------------------------------

I can tell you this much.. Next year won't be any better for ya. Spade just got that Semi barely done for the show (I did some of the artwork 2 weeks ago) so it's gonna be there bigger and brighter than ever next year. The BMX will be there, they are in the midst of a 10 year contract I believe.. I-Carly and "Billy and the Pickers" will be there too. It's a HUGE draw. $$$. My area will be centered towards Open Wheel cars next year, and have Traditional style HOT RODS, BEER, MOCK UPS, Gassers, Rat Rods, BEER, Dragsters, Old style Bobbers and Choppers, Antiquers, Haulers, push trrucks, Pin up girls, BEER, ...and one custom.

Hope to see you there!

15. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

I'm starting my build for next year's "Survivor Alley". Its gonna be a 1960 T-bird with a bmx theme and Billy the Exterminator will be signing Mock-Up t-shirts by it all weekend. DON'T MISS IT!!!!!!!

16. custom300

custom300

57 Ford relax on the matter. Josh puts on a great show and most people down here go out of there way to be in his display 1st off and look forward to seeing what else he brings in every year. I have showed a car for 6 years now and my wife, kids and several friends look forward to Saturday night every year. It is a great time to talk about your summer event plans, racing tips, and current projects to help stay motivated thru the winter months,

17. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

You go Josh!! To each his own is true. I like these shows because it keeps us motivated during winter, and keeps my butt off the couch for a while. I got a serious groove going now!

18. hmmm i thought the squires car club put on the calvacade of kulture ...not just one guy

i didnt say i dont like mock ups ,
    but they dont have any place in the calavacade of CUSTOMS just like bmx crap

if i want to see mock-ups ill walk out in my backyard

not pay 15.00 and drive to go see them

if what you say is true about saturday being the largest croud ever it was soley because of that "acctress" ya know little 5and 6year old girls dont drive so mommy and daddy probably drove the girls there and maybe they had her little brother with them and they all paid admisson hense the large crowd number 99% of those people in that long line wasnt even aware (or cared) there were cars there

you wanna see a good car show in and around cincinnati? come to the butler county fairgrounds for the cincy street rod show its the best this area has to offer at the momment , or maybe the milford cruise-in

as i said ive been to every calvacade since the early 80's and ill go next year and if it isnt any good ill tell ya about it

in hopes of making it better in the future,
    but appearently constructive critisisium isnt understood in this day and age

and whats up with all this not-so secret secret club crap " if ya have to ask...."

i understand so i dont have to ask

some people only see whats in front of them like the second dog in a sled team
    (hint its not a tunnel)

19. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Believe it or not, car shows are about making money. (I know that will come as a suprise to some) and we are not the target audience. They know car guys will show up. They need the actors, bmx, etc to draw in the rest of the public. Especially since there are no TV cars like the old days; I think the years that the Batmobile was there are still some of the highest attended shows.

Now Josh, as far as Cincinnati and Hot Rods....that isn't entirely true, some of us like customs. :D One section of traditional customs would be nice to see some year. But, I give you credit for the effort it takes getting that section of the show together each year.

20. So take your own advice from your very first post and walk around in your back yard

Constructive Criticism should never be confused with bitching

Apparently he feels personally left out boys can you send him a t-shirt so he will stop crying

Thank you for all the hard work it takes to put together any show.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  21. brandon

brandon

hey ....on a side note , the stripers deal made a little over 12000 for the kidney foundation of cincinnati....:D a lot of cool artwork was stolen at giveaway prices......:eek:

22. ron1970nova

ron1970nova

So, how come some people are allowed to post events, and others get banned for doing so, friend of mine posted JUST LIKE THIS guy did and got banned!!!!!!!!

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks, I'll have to check those places out. ;)

Also, thanks for your advise. We'll see what we can do.

-----------------------

Cincinnati Slim: I agree on a few Customs. When a Custom is done right, its impressive and good looking. I don't mind a couple. The Caddy I had in my display was BAD ASS! I got to drive it on Thurs.

24. Tim Jones

Tim Jones

I may be new to the HAMB but not to these kind of shows. I've got a picture of myself holding Pac-Man's hand and sitting behind the wheel of KITT and the Batmobile when I was young. Been going ever since and I think thats what held my attention for 3 days as my dad and uncles sat with their cars back in the 80s. This year I had a great time and scored a killer piece at the Pinstripers Auction by a guy named Josh Shaw.

25. Cool photos of Drew and his Dad's stuff, really good creative builders

26. Awesome :cool: Charity stripers are heros in my book. :cool::cool:

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I only did 4 pieces this year. Which one did you get?

28. Tim Jones

Tim Jones

Hey Josh I got that killer gold torso
    you did. "Some Never Learn" Hanging in my house right now.

29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

HELL YEAH! I was hoping that's what you got. I loved that piece. Good story to the Message and the tattoos on that torso. I'll tell ya in person next time I see ya.. Remind me. ;)

30. Tim Jones

Tim Jones

Cool, yeah I'd love to hear about it. I'm curious as hell now. Send me an email if you want. Later