Register now to get rid of these ads!

Velocity stacks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegrappler, Sep 28, 2010.

1. thegrappler

thegrappler

Anybody seen or make velocity stacks that have individual tubes for each barrel that can be installed on a 4 barrel carb?
    I think it'ed look cool with a tunnel ram, 2x4 with 8 stacks sticking up, kinda give it a fuely look

2. Someone makes that setup and I think you can get it from Summit and it looks totally G Hey, Nothing like a Fuel Injection
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

not feelin it..sounds hoakey

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

too phony and way too expensive for what they are imo

5. squirrel

squirrel

tunnel ram with two 4s and two big velocity stacks looks good, in a late 70s/early 80s way

6. thegrappler

thegrappler

I just found that one at summit, way to spendy, If any thing then Id make my own about 8 in tall. not sure about the seventy/eighties thing

7. rallisracing

rallisracing

They used to make individual velocity stack tubes for Holley's 4500 Dominator..Had them on my Dragster years ago....

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I made a three Holley 500cfm individual runner manifold once for my 320 cid GMC with a Howard 12 port head. Each venturi fed one cylinder without and balance tubes. On the dyno you could see the cloud of revision hanging above the carbs from when the valve closed and the air column bounced back. I made stacks from exhaust tubing that fit down into the top of the venturi and reached the cloud. Picked up a noticeable increase. They didn't clear the hood. Later I had one of thoe 1150 Dominators that came with short stacks. Ran good. Never tried it without the stacks.

9. thegrappler

thegrappler

I not gunna be running a dominator let alone 2 for my puny sbc but was thinking if I made a round base that fit around a holly 450 and attach some tubes to that, maybe out of chrome drain pipe and bell the mouth, would need to figure out the air filters though.

10. No, they would still look gay and fake.

11. gasser55

gasser55

Heres the ones I made for my awb 55
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. yeah im gunna agree with the others. i too thought about doing this. i like the look of 3 dueces on a sbc with stacks but i dont have the cash to get that setup, so i was kickin around the idea you have a while ago. adn realy theres just no way for it to look good.

just a normal large stack for the 4 brl would look better than a bunch of little ones attached to the same thing. just run a normal air filter. sure it doesnt look super old but it looks better than something trying to be somthing its not.

13. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Fake stuff blows. If you have a carb/carbs, just display them loud and proud.

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

Those look like the tuba section at a football game.

15. the-lowrider

the-lowrider

I think that kinda air filter also would be an option, but i don`t know if that one is kustom built or aftermarket ?

Attached Files:

16. Please don't take this the wrong way but if you are bulding a hotrod than everything on it should have a function. Like Rich Fox said there are circumstances where a velocity stack serves a function.

You could also make them function on your setup but with a tunnel ram and that huge plenum normally associated with a tunnel ram, I'm going to suggest that if you look real close the fog mentioned by Rich is going to be down toward the top of you venturi and not hanging above your carb. In essence a velocity stack alters your venturi length.

17. CR1193

CR1193
    from Tennessee

There is an A-model coupe in the new street rodder mag with 2 large ones inline on each carb, looks pretty cool. I will see if i can find a picture.

There is a company called TWM induction that makes some also, but would have to be modified for a 4-barrel setup.

18. CR1193

CR1193
    from Tennessee

Here is some I make for'em, the merged set looks pretty cool, real close to what was on the "A" I was talkin about earlier.

Shoot me a PM if you want any info on this type......

Attached Files:

• 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      52.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Deuces

Deuces

Now you sparked my intrest!! What are those ones on the racks???? :)

20. thegrappler

thegrappler

Its cool, I shifted gears with this Idea and went to a 671 Blower, still going to have 2 4s but probably the single large stack on each carb.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

niiiice...

22. CobraTracks

CobraTracks

I had a tunnel ram with two carbs and NOS with a scoop and I think they looked pretty serious. At one point I welded two velocity stacks together and they looked like they belonged.

23. jamn47

jamn47

I like the regular K&N's for performance, I just wasn't very happy with the finish though. They started to tarnish on the stack real quick. I may change to a Blower scoop we'll see.

Attached Files:

24. thegrappler

thegrappler

Yup real niiice ;)

25. jamn47

jamn47

If you happen to go with the K&N's

26. jamn47

jamn47

Just be careful of the clearance, they are pretty large in dia, they don't fit some Tunnel rams.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Here's some Hilborn stacks on my neighbor's 48 Austin:
    [​IMG]

It's hard to tell with the hood closed, but they're fake. Underneath is a regular 4 bbl. carb and a 14" chrome air cleaner!

28. I was gonna,and am saying possibly use hilborn stacks.BUT,since you went with the blower route.......You still could,but would have to fab. Possibly would look like what's out there in the aftermarket=summit,but it would be unique and cool if you pulled it off. Just a thought.......

Attached Files:

29. CR1193

CR1193
    from Tennessee

Thats some throttle bodies for some late model crap, big bore fuel injection systems for kids with deep pockets!!!!

But we make some for V-8's as well, similar to a weber setup. With the velocity stacks it's kinda hilborn looking but much more driveable. Somebody at SEMA called it "NEWSTALGIC" hehehe, I thought it was pretty funny. I guess it's like they say "not many new ideas, just variations".......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. thegrappler

thegrappler

Probably wont fit mine, no Tunnel ram, 671 Blower but I made my own carb top plate and am running 1850s inline, they are 8.75 apart so if the K&Ns are 9 inches its a no go