Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Modern Suspension for the 50's Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lordfeyr, Jan 10, 2011.

1. lordfeyr

lordfeyr
    from So Cal

Hey everyone,

I have a 57 Buick Special that I am working on and I want to get a more modern suspension setup on the car. Especially in seeing that if my ball joints go out im going to be in for quite a bit of money....

The only place that I can find that makes anything for this car is Fatman and he uses a Mustang II type setup. My question is whether or not the MII is strong enough on these larger cars? I have heard that it probably wont be heavy duty enough.

Any thoughts? Ideas etc...?

2. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

In my opinion the MII is not strong enough for a mid 50's or later car. There are alot of other suspensions you can use. Many that are not hamb friendly but who cares! Art Morrison can make you a stub to put on the front that is very nice and will fit right up! They have a MII look alike stub but its much stronger! I would recommend that. Or if theres no budget they have a vette front that is very nice but a little on the expensive side. I have never been a fan of putting nova stubs or anything like that on the front of any car. Those are just my thoughts.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if the mustangII were not strong enough they would not make a crossmember for your application.

MII ball joints are the same as used on fulll sized Fords of the same era. the crossmemeber itself will most likely be the thickest steel in your frame.

in my application (1949 Chevrolet passenger car) 4 cylinder springs are used. this is because in the Pinto/Mustang the motor sits much further forward in relation to the wheels, putting more weight on the front end than you would think.

back in the late 80's (?) there was a 10 second big block powered 39 Chevy sedan at the Nostalgia Drags every time I went. it did a pretty hairy wheelstand on every run. that has to put a bit of strain on your front end.

I say if the offer one for your car go for it and don't worry about where the design came from.

5. BJR

BJR

I have seen where they take the upper and lower A frames from an early 60's car to replace the A frames on 50's GM cars. I think they bolt right on and fix the expensive ball joint issue and have better steering angles. You would have to measure the bolt spacing to be sure, as I don't remember the correct years of 60's donor cars.

6. lordfeyr

lordfeyr
    from So Cal

Thanks for all the responses so far everyone. All opinions are welcome. I see the point that ratfink made in saying they wouldnt have made it for that car if it wouldnt work.... I will look into contact Art Morrison to see what they say. Pricing looks similar but it almost seems like they use a MII style as well....

I completely forgot all about that Jag suspension. I actually talked to the guy who did all that because I was considering using the rear in my car but went a different route.

The car will be a driver so I want it comfortable and durable. The hunt goes on!

7. I am putting 94 Vette suspension under my 55 Caddy. Figured I would do something a little different. So far so good. It fits great. I should have it on the road this summer. Its not tradional. Not yet anyways

Attached Files:

8. lordfeyr

lordfeyr
    from So Cal

That looks real nice. Id be interested in more information about dimensions, where you got it, how much etc...

I measured the outside frame rails of my 57 buick and its 39" wide.

9. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Look at the link 52sled posted. It's not the same one that Thunderrocket posted.
    The Jag suspension is the quickest, cheapest, most complete, and BEST return on time/investment, hands down!
    P/S, 4 wheel discs, 4 wheel independent suspension, Dana center section, cheap and readily available parts, Chevy 4.75 bolt pattern, world class handling, and a couple knowledgable guys could complete one end of the car in a weekend... Seriously, give it a second look!!!

10. A little more inspiration. Now remember, I'm nobody. Just a regular Joe who figures if the " PRO's " can do it . Why the hell can't I too

Attached Files:

11. Looks the same to me, but there are quite a few other threads on the Jag IFS/IRS.
    The Jag IFS is just as traditional as a MII, but less than quarter of the price.
    Imagine a sled that handles like a sportscar. :win:

12. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

My bad, ThunderRocket.
    I had just looked at IRON MAIDEN's post on doing the jag setup in his '50 pickup. Guess I got confused. Yes, you did link to Trent's '57 buick build. My most sincere appology to you.

I believe the Jag swap to be traditional [IMHO anyway]. Jag released it to the public juuuust before the '64 "traditional" cut off date, and I've seen pics of them being installed in hot-rods in the mid 60's... Call it what you will, but it's top notch hot rod material, and it's not pony-car [which is what separates pre and post traditional].

There are two Jag's in my local clasifieds that would be prime donor candidates. One is a running rust bucket for $500, the other is a V12 XJS with a bad tranny for $800. Part out what's left over, and you could have your suspension for free!

If you got a "pull-a-part" [franchise] recycler in your area, they will sell you the complete front or rear setup for $120 each.

For the life of me, I cant understand why the MII swap ever gained popularity in the first place,,, other than the fact that there simply wasn't anything else available. Years ago, a friend of mine did a MII under an old plymouth. It was a nightmare. I also had a friend who did a 70's Z-28 front clip under a '57 chevy. It was far superior to the MII, and I believe it was less work also.

I've not yet personally participated in a Jag swap yet, but I've seen 2 of them up close and personal, and the owners loved them. My next build will definately be riding on British suspension both front and rear! :D

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Original info suggesting Art Morrison is THE BEST ! I've heard from ALL the Pro's I've talked to & Interviewed that if you give them the specs they will send you back a unit that will fit perfectly with what you're doing.

All of the cars I've owned during the last 15 years ('53 Buick Special, '61 INVICTA, '59 Plymouth Wagon, ''57 Dodge D-500...see my albums) are HEAVY rides, and if I were to change-out anything major on my suspension, Art Morrison is who I'd call.

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

14. No Drama Darryl,
    I just seem to get noses turned up at the mention of a Jag IFS/IRS.
    These same lads are pro MII.

I just want a Custom that I can Drive like my Miata, and will ride like a XJ.
    I think a $800 XJS would get me there with IRS/IFS, PS/PB, Dana 44 posi, and anything else I can salvage from the Jag.
    Totally traditional visually, with modern underpinings tucked underneath.
    Sounds like a winner to me.