Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, BENEIL. The calpers on the left you still can get rebuild kits and liners. Go to (airheartbreaks.com) The part # 175x1-06 They are purty good at getting you kits. Good luck, Tom PS. same brake calpers on the rear of my midget.

2. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Rootie, Moe, spinout, thanks so much. That is exactly what I was looking for. It is amazing how much info everyone on this board has.

Once I get these calipers on my chassis , it will be ready for some pictures with the paint and chrome. Stay tuned......

3. daveww1

daveww1

4. daveww1

daveww1

5. daveww1

daveww1

6. daveww1

daveww1

7. daveww1

daveww1

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Bob ..

Do you folks still have the former Dewey Cali Badger &/or know of it's where abouts???

THANKS!!!

9. When you said the Wilson 25 and Tulsa, I knew exactly who you meant. That's NCRA language for Oppermans comeback.

Welcome to the site Captain!

10. bdcarlover

bdcarlover

brian 26
    Thanks for the welcome. I only wish I had found this thread sooner.
    The only chance I got to see the USAC cageless sprints was at Tulsa...they were in the pits, but the show got rained out.

11. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Baldtireman,
    that Nestler #2 was new in either 64 or 65. Whichever year that Larry Dickson ran URC. Larry drove the old frame and Earl the new one. Several car owners had new cars the same year, venezia, Scats, Gillette.

12. Outsatanding pics Dave!! Keep 'em coming. :)

13. wynns #1

wynns #1

Baldtireman,
    If my memory is right, the #2 Nesler car was the Trevis #5 that Larry drove the year before in USAC, in fact he won the Reading opener in 1966. The car was built with half bars in the front and was not to Larrys liking. In 67, Nesler gave Earl the car to drive in URC for the next couple of years before selling it to Lynn Geisler. Maybe Old Bill can comment.

14. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Trevis Craft owned by George Neslor, Haliquist drove in URC. Dickson took it to USAC with SpotOil

15. racer5c

racer5c

Daveww incredible stuff!!!

16. racer5c

racer5c

Does anyone have any video from the 1990 Hut Hundred? or the 1990 Turkey Night Grand Prix (the last REAL Turkey Night in my opinion)

17. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Hi Guys , I have a technical question.
    Can anyone help with what paint or coating was used on the inside of 1960's Halibrands after they stopped using the Dow#7 ?
    It was presumably to stop porosity leaks ,and maybe to help in the fitting of the wider tyres that were just coming in.
    It is a light green or yellowish colour and seems quite hard although a modern tyre mounting machine has managed to scrape it off if used hard to break a bead.
    The photo shows the colour.
    For those that are interested , the car is the #37 in Rich's post #11350 at Trenton in '69 and restoration is proceeding well
    Many thanks Greg

Attached Files:

18. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Greg. Sorry before my time. I love the car and hope to see many more photos of it!! Thanks for the pics, Tom. PS. I am sure some one here can help you, Good luck.

19. gearguy

gearguy

I'm not sure what that coating is inside the Halibrand wheels. Recent practice on aluminum castings has been to seal them with a Loctite suppled compound in a vacuum chamber. I have had castings that leaked like a sieve before coating become oil tight without any change in the external appearance. Anodizing shops or aluminum shops should be able to direct you to the right process.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

20. KK500

KK500

Does anybody know what the top of the Benny Rapp breather is??
    Looks like an oil filter cartridge?? It's mounted on the top end of the radiator/breather hose from the pan. Have seen at least one other car using the same deal.

While we're at it..........anybody know the brand of magneto and is this an external coil? Have a Hunt but it's too tall for the hood.

Photo at Little 500 May 1966.
    Qualified 18th, retired 101 laps overheating.
    #14 started on Pole and took Rookie of the year in it's first ever race, 1965 Little 500.

Ran couple of USAC races as #82.

Thanks guys for the best thing on the internet!!!!!!!!

Jim

Attached Files:

21. Here's one from Josh's show this weekend
    HG :cool:

[​IMG]

22. and another one from Cincinnati.
    HG :cool:

[​IMG]

23. I don't yet.... I had a guy tell me he had the Turkey Night show at ascot, but he never called back.

The way things turn up in my corner, I'm sure it will come along sometime.

24. racer5c-

can ya settle for an old Langhorne show, on dirt?

A Dick Wallen production- brought to by vintagesupermodified

25. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

I think it is Bob Wlkey in the Caruso #3...

There is a photo of him in the car at Nazareth in the Buzz Rose URC book...

LM

26. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Looking for some help re: stretched midget sprint cars...

With the recent release of the 1/25 scale Revell Kurtis midget model kits, I'm interested in building some into stretched sprint cars. Have to do the Lowther #2...lol

Question: What all was done to convert the midgets into sprint cars? Did they retain the midget tail? How about the front axle and suspension?

Another stretched midget question... Since I now reside in Johnstown, PA I became friends with one of the Leitenberger sons. He told me that they were the FIRST ones to stretch a midget into a sprint car.

Anyone have any Leitenberger history, as to what became of their cars. I believe the long tail Sherman-built champ car driven at Indy by George Fonder went to the Long Brothers for Larry Dickson's first super sprint. The sprint went to Don Gillette, who campaigned it in URC with a Pontiac engine. Any other info?

LM

27. daveww1

daveww1

28. daveww1

daveww1

29. daveww1

daveww1

Dick Atkins followed by Don Branson @ allentown, 1966
    [​IMG]

30. daveww1

daveww1