Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Bel Air 235 - No Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 305window, Jan 9, 2011.

1. 305window

305window
    from Miami, Fl

I need some help. I recently purchased a 1953 Bel Air that had been in storage since 1990. A friend & I got it running & drove it around the block a few times before it just died. Broken spring in the generator killed the battery.

The motor has fresh plugs & the carb was rebuilt. It would turn, but it woundn't crank after it died. It needed points so I replaced them, had the generator rebuilt & I purchased a new battery.

But now I have no power in the car at all. No lights, no horn, nothing. The car is still a 6 volt system & I'm stuck. Any Idea's?

2. Jagman

Jagman

Look for a bad connection at the ground strap....there should be two actually, one between the body and chassis and one between the engine and the chassis - and of course you need a good connection between the battery and the engine....

3. NeverEnuf

NeverEnuf
    from Louisiana

Aslo check for a burnt fusible link going up into the dash. Do you have fire at the points. You may have also burnt the resistor.

4. 305window

305window
    from Miami, Fl

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Check all battery cable ends and grounds, there are very few fuses and no resistors or fusable links.