Register now to get rid of these ads!

hillborn injection on the street?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trvguy, Jan 7, 2011.

1. trvguy

trvguy

my car currently has a 6-71 with 2 4 bbls, 8 to 1 pistons, 6.7% under drive . it runs good but....... i like the old style hillborn. not the electronic ones. i still might try one.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  2. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

You asked for advise. The responses were pretty much unanimous against using it on the street. You say you like the way it looks and might try one anyway. :confused: Did you really want advise, or were you just searching for approval of your idea? If it's the look you want, that can be done with EFI.

If constant flow mechanical fuel injection was any "dumber" than it is, it wouldn't work. It relies only on RPM and throttle opening to adjust fuel delivery. On an engine that needs to work properly in a limited RPM range, at high throttle opening, that is enough to get you by. The fuel system on street engine needs to adjust for the amount of load on the engine. Hilborn(one L)-type injection can't do that. There have been simple EFI systems that, just like the Hilborn hardware, look only at RPM and throttle opening. Those don't work well on a street car either. Calibrated correctly, what you have now isn't a bad street set-up. If you want the look of a Hilborn injection, and you will be driving the car on the street for more than an occasional trip around the neighborhood, you need EFI. Unfortunately, EFI can be tedious to calibrate, but that's your only good alternative. Feel free to expend all possible effort to prove me wrong, but realize you will be disappointed by where that takes you.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

He asked how it is done, not if it is possable, a mag had an artical a few years back (2002 to 2006) on it, either rodders digest or street rod builder, slow barrel valve, small pills, and i belived they mentioned something about a electric fuel pump used as a primer, or mabey that was on here

4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

He asked what it would take, then said, "i still might try one". I don't care one way or the other if he does it. I just pointed out that it's not a good option for a street car, and took the effort to explain why I said that. Is there any harm done by making that point? If I can save the OP or anyone else reading this from expecting a result they aren't going to get, isn't that a good thing?

So to answer your comment; yes it is possable(using your spelling).

5. DRAGSTER_JOHN

DRAGSTER_JOHN

i have heard of this being done, but it will not run like a daily driver, it will run like a race car, so you have to drive it like one, so going to store for milk ok, but a long trip like a vacation, better pull a trailer behind ya full of gas, lol. anyway here is my hilborn 327c injection on my front engine dragster running alky :)

Attached Files:

6. If you want Hilborns on a blower, why not run a 4 holer with dummy nozzels on top and hide the EFI nozzels under the blower?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  7. rick finch

rick finch

.....or build a dragster and use them for what they were intended.:D

8. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

EFI..booooo. Hidden EFI...even worse.

9. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

I have a complete BBC with BDS 6/71 and electronic Hilborn setup here at the shop for sale.........was running on the street on pump gas in a Chevelle...Owner fell on hard times and we bought the engine and complete setup...Including controller and Weldon pumps.........$6500 if anyone is interested.
    try this link for pictures
    http://picasaweb.google.com/texoutsider/HILBORNBDSBigBlock?feat=directlink

Mark

10. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

The track is aprox 70 mi away from my shop. I do have a 8 gal tank in trunk. Never checked fuel milage but I know its not good. Hence 1 tank of fuel MAY get me half the way there,then Id have to walk, so IMHO, I trailer it to the track because of the above AND it is good to have tools, air,parts,golf cart and BEER. I do trailer it to the track, BUT I do drive my kids to school in it (10 mi each way), to car shows (close by) and take my wife to the drive in a coupla times.
    If I listioned to some of the experts here, I cant do that. SO, in all due respect.......Do your own thing.
    I do not claim to have a efficent street car, but the question here was "is it possible". Yes it is.
    Last thing here is the experts make me look GOOD. Now I feel better, ol dummy me..................see you at the party store OR the other lane.
    John

11. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

[​IMG]
    Oh, by the way, you can see how I used a silonoid off the regulater to a fogger on the manifold to prime the motor from the driver seat, worked every time Ive started the car,bar none. Was told I cant do that either....
    Think outside the box, to many fruit loops in the box. JMHO John

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I like Johnnys style ^^^

kidcampbell71 and redlineracer42 like this.
  13. I think Corn Huskers in Neb. offer a service for Hilborn injectors. They advertise in street rod.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well I have never tried to run hilborns on the street, i have run dominators, same story, had guys that had never done it telling me that it wouldn't work. In fact I found just the opposite. A properly calibrated dominator with smaller IFR's and a power valve added to the primary side was perfectly streetable, and made really good power as well. If you have REALLY good tuning skills, try it. If you are expecting to bolt in on and run it, you should probably pass. Pretty sure if you cant make it work and want to sell them later, you wont have much trouble.

15. I agree, EFI spoils the look. But please enlighten me as to why "hidden is worse".

16. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

I think cause your tryin to hide it. If its your thing, do it.
    If you liston to people, go with EFI, youll love it
    If you want the REAL DEAL, its possible.
    If you drive a new BMW, get the hell off this board, to many REAL guys here.
    Your choice...................................................................

17. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Why the hell are my post stuck at 177????????????????????????????????/

18. One thing that will help is running a Waterman or DSE fuel pump (non-traditional look). Those billet gear type pumps have a much more consistent fuel output at low rpm than a Hilborn pump. Waterman also makes a very high pressure pump which throws "everyone else's" tune out the window, but gives much better atomization (SSHHHH, don't tell anybody;)). Run the long tube nozzles to get the fuel pointed right at the back of the valve.

I've never seen it done, but if you're not running a HUGE cam, you could plumb in a vacuum controlled fuel pressure regulator; which makes the fuel curve load sensitive, rather than just throttle sensitive. Won't work well on a race engine with a screwy vacuum signal...

19. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

20. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I took a quick over view here and so far no one said it couldnt be done .
    Its just a pain , you should pat yourself on the back.. your great you are you are . nice car by the way .cheers

21. rick finch

rick finch

????:confused: I have to leave here cause I drive a BMW?

22. If you want to go electronic, it can be done with the megasquirt for less cash than other approaches. I saw a post recently from http://www.diyautotune.com/ that had pictures of a recent electronic conversion they did with a hillborn. As far as injection goes, the megasquirt is probably the most cost effective and tunable one you can find - if you choose the electronic route.

23. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

What did you do here .. long nozzles and high pressure ... there goes the neighborhood . I like your thinkin ;)

24. It's OK Rick, just trailer it...:D

25. rick finch

rick finch

Yeah, momma would be very pissed if I got rid of it in order to stay on the HAMB...
    Shit, life is just one big decision after another.....:D

26. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Here is the artical.......Maybe it works on a beemer too.......eh?
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

27. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Tommy Ivo ran Hilborn injection on his nailhead in his T Bucket in the 50's, how did he do it?

28. Jim Kitchen, ran his Enderle injected 29 Roadster,(his daily) for more than 20yrs on the street. It was his only car & used an automatic trans. I went to him for advice, when I started collecting my pieces for my injection set up. A manual trans, is the key to a 'nicer' street experience.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

I am planning on running hilborns on the street in my 55. I talked to a friend of mine named lee ozborn who has had hilborns on a lot of vehicles. I bought a very early unit with 1 13/16 inch butterflies. Lee said the smaller diameter gives you more volosity which is better on the street. He had these hilborns on a model a running a 301 sbc and said the car could idol all day without loading up they would give him great responce at wide open thorrotle and would work well at half throttle. If you want to keep it michanical like i am i would recomend using a manifold with smaller diameter butterflies and talk to some one who has had succsess with them befor and knows what they are doing.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011