Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slicks on the street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragster, Jan 8, 2011.

1. dragster

dragster

What type of tire shop could groove slicks , Can you have slicks grooved to run on the street ? just wondering thanks

2. Dirty54

Dirty54

just run em slick fuk it

3. Master of None

Master of None

Cody at Hurst racing slicks can do custom grooving. Not sure if you can send your tires to them or what but its worth a look and a call. www.hurstracingtires.com

4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Here we go again:confused:

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You should be aware that cutting grooves into slicks does not make them street legal. Also, Hurst recaps are not street legal with or without grooves. Cody told me that himself.

6. 69fury

69fury

buy a tire siping tool and do it yourself? still not DOT compliant but might keep Jonny Law from pulling you over if he thinks they're ET Streets.

I'd recommend ET Streets if you're gonna be on the road 90% of the time and not the track. Unless you have a town like mine- college town under 100k people with many kids/ricers to keep the police busy- I ran limo tint and full slicks for years on a musclecar and all i got from the cops was thumbsup...your mileage may vary.

rick

7. dragster

dragster

I intend to run them in reno at Hot august nights ,the law don't brother you most of the time there to busy busting the street racers and intoxicated patrons downtown . The tire siping tool sounds interesting , or just run them the way they are thanks for the help.

8. why not just get a second set of rims and tires....

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, a lot easier than getting someone to pull you out of the ditch when you hydroplane during a sudden rain storm on the road. Unless it is a trailer queen then it doesn't matter anyhow.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

On a Sunny day they can be fun, especially if you have a lot of HP. But there is a reason why folks don't do it because of water / rain on the road. Ever drive on black ice? Gary

11. mow too much

mow too much

Back in 1970 I thought it would be COOL to run my slicks on the street...............untill there was a sudden rain storm that popped up and I found myself stopped in front of a light pole in the (luckily grass) center medium after doing a 360 in the street:eek:, I couldn't get them off quick enough. They are made for racing ONLY.

12. ^^^^^YES^^^^^^
    The slightest wettness makes it like an ice storm or worse!! Been there and lived to tell about it!! I only use slicks for limted street use or track use as any debris will cut them like knife!!

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

Why don"t you just get the extra set of wheels and tires for the street,kinda defeating the purpose of having a slick if you cut grooves in it.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And while we're at it, super wide treaded tires on light cars (Ts, Anglias, Willys, Pro-streeters) are no fun in the rain either. I've tried to find out what the optimum tire width / weight per wheel ratio should be for a "normal" car, but no one seems to know the answer or forumla. Gary

15. Any big truck tire shop can groove 'em. But aside from not being legal that don't last worth a flip. If you are running drag slicks rhey are made to go about 20 miles in 1/4 mile increments. If you are running a NASCAR slick they won't make it 500 miles on a good smooth track.

Diamond Back sells a real nice cheater that is DOT approved for street use. The street legal slicks for street legal class tires all say the same thing not for general highway use.

16. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

I was always told that you want the absolute tallest tire you can fit,and the narrowest tire you can hook up with.
    Brandon

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I run cheaters on the street but if there's a chance of rain, the car stays home. I was wondering, since I leave plenty of room in front of me, has anyone had to panic stop with cheaters? Did they stop ok?

18. CR1193

CR1193
    from Tennessee

If you wanna be a super-cheap ass YOU can groove'em, I've done it a few times with a chalk-line and a skill-saw. I ran three or four lines parrallel to the sidewalls (depending on the width), and then at about 30-degrees across the tread three to four inches apart. Put the wheel/tire on a fenderless car (or a rearend across some saw horses) and jack it up so you can spin the tire, set the depth on the saw and go at it!!!!

You end up with somethin' kinda like a dirt-track tire.Be sure to check how much rubber you have to work with, and be careful on the road they are still a little squirrely.

19. Most wide tires will have problems in the rain , its all about contact area verus weight .
    You will also have problems driving on roads that are rutted or crowned .
    I had a set of Racemasters on and hit a section of freeway that semi's use alot .
    It was a wild ride .
    You know you are driving to fast in the rain when you look in the rear view mirror and you dont see any tire tracks.. :eek:

Brian

20. larryw58

larryw58

If a ticket going to stop you you dont need em

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have run slicks on the street not the pie-crusts, modern wrinkle walls. Air them up to around 20-25lbs. If it rains, your parked, but you are if you are running modern "DOT's" like M/T ET Streets as well. I cant speak for what its like in your area, but I have gone through road blocks with them, was told to go home and change them. But yes, be prepared to sit and wait if it rains, you arent going anywhere. As far as the trailer queen thing thats bullshit from guys who have never done it, I put a few thousand miles on a pair in one summer.

Edit: just realized someone might read this to think I am suggesting running the pie-crusts at 25lbs. I'm not, they should be higher.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  22. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

i have about 5000 miles on my hursts cheaters. they have two grooves in them. i havent been pulled over yet either.

23. thunderplex

thunderplex

...I run MT cheater slicks (with the crossed checker flags tread embedded on both sides of the tire) and haven't had the slightest problem (even in the rain). I've driven this car 75-85 mph to Florida for the first Billerproof show and the Daytona Turkey Run and it always rains during one leg of the trip. Oh, ...and I also have 5in VW tires on the front. I Just don't drive like a Tasmanian Dufus.

...we now return you to regular programming.

24. Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  25. More Hurst tires

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. pdq67

pdq67

Look in Coker for tires like you are talking about.

An old pdq67 story.

Was dating my wife way back in the late winter of '66/'67. She wanted to go over to Hutch. KS to watch the Moberly Jr. College Greyhounds win their 4th NAT BB Championship which Coach Daly did!

Anyway, I had my cheap recap real slicks on my new '67SS/RS Camaro and didn't think anything about it so away we went along with her little Bother in the back.

I was be-bopping along on the KS T/P and came over a hill and there He was, flagging me over. He asked me how fast I was going and I relly hadn't been paying attention so he said I'd been running between 75 and 130 or so, (caught by a small plane).

So we went to town and the Judge left us with like $20 between us.

Got to Hutch, saw the game, my G/F hooked up with two of her friends so stayed in a hotel while little Broter and I slept at the train station, or was it bus depot??, I forget.

Got up the next morning and all five of us started back only to hit rain and then sleet by the time we hit I-70 in MO!

I dare say that it was a "white-knuckle" drive back, having to roll as fast as possible down one hill then coasting up the next, it was that bad a drive.

We got home, but never again. And I will say that on solid ice real slicks aren't all that bad, but any sort of water hold-on tight!

pdq67

27. pdq67

pdq67

Look in Coker for tires like you are talking about.

An old pdq67 story.

Was dating my wife way back in the late winter of '66/'67. She wanted to go over to Hutch. KS to watch the Moberly Jr. College Greyhounds win their 4th NAT BB Championship which Coach Daly did!

Anyway, I had my cheap recap real slicks on my new '67SS/RS Camaro and didn't think anything about it so away we went along with her little Bother in the back.

I was be-bopping along on the KS T/P and came over a hill and there He was, flagging me over. He asked me how fast I was going and I really hadn't been paying attention so he said I'd been running between 75 and 130 or so, (caught by a small plane).

So we went to town and the Judge left us with like $20 between us.

Got to Hutch, saw the game, my G/F hooked up with two of her friends so stayed in a hotel while little Brother and I slept at the train station, or was it bus depot??, I forget.

Got up the next morning and all five of us started back only to hit rain and then sleet by the time we hit I-70 in MO!

I dare say that it was a "white-knuckle" drive back, having to roll as fast as possible down one hill then coasting up the next, it was that bad a drive.

We got home, but never again. And I will say that on solid ice real slicks aren't all that bad, but any sort of water hold-on tight!

pdq67

28. dragster

dragster

thanks for the insight

29. I have a a pair of goodyear eagles p/n 1984. I don't know how you could really groove them because they are so thin to begin with??????? Just my 2 cents!

30. indyjps

indyjps

McCreary Dirt or Asphalt tires, not DOT but hook well, dirt compound wears much faster. I ran them many times on the street with tubes. heres the link to dirt compound check out tread A, looks like a cheater slick style tread. Still wouldnt go driving in the rain. Depends on how traditional you want to be, the coker tires are great but much more $.
    http://www.americanraceronline.com/Dirt-track/dirt-late-model.html