Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mazmanian first 1941 Willys B/GS 1963

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Anybody have a nice clear side picture of Big Johns B/GS Willys he ran in 1963? When he sold his Corvette and got his first Willys he started with this red 1941 coupe with a blown small block Chevy and ran in B/GS, the car was at Indy in 1963. In late 1963 or early 1964 he painted the car Candy Red and put a Hemi in it. I found a couple pictures of the car but not what I need, the side shots I have found are not clear. If you know of any web sites or magazines or have some pictures of this car I would greatly appreciate it. I have the 1964 issue of Drag Racing with the car on the cover but no side shots of the car. I have enclosed a picture of the car and as you can see its not very clear.

Thanks, Dave.

Attached Files:

2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

There was an article about the Coupe in Hot Rod magazine in I believe 1964. If memory serves me, it had a centerfold of it. I think the car may have also been on the cover. If nobody comes up with the issue quickly, I'll find the month/year in my collection for ya later.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

4. pila38

pila38

Don't know if this will help, it's not exactly a clear shot, but...it is a bitchin' picture! Big John's cars were beautiful.

Attached Files:

5. phat rat

phat rat

If my memory is correct it's the Aug. 64 issue. If not then Sept 64

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Click the click above...September cover shown

7. Do you mean this one?

A friend of a friend took these pics at Indy in '64.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Back in 63-64 I collected two complete sets of hot rod trading cards. Great pictures of Mazmanian, Tommy Ivo, all great looking gassers. Wish I had those cards today. Would've been worth some money. Mazmanian's candy apple red gasser looked great.

9. plmczy

plmczy

There is 2 pics of his willy's in the new Rodders Journal. I seen the restored willy's make a conservative pass at the Jalopy Drags last fall, all I can say is unbelievable. later shawn

10. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Thanks for your help guys, the Hot Rod Magazine pictures are of the car when it was painted candy red and a hemi in it. I am looking for side shots of the red small block B/GS car that he ran in 1963. The B/GS car had Ed Roth lettering on it and I am trying to copy some of Roths work on this car which was unique to this car only. The picture posted by pila38 is the correct car, and plmczy mentioned it was in the new rodders journal you can see below. As many pictures I have found I still cant see the B&M layout on this car. Thanks for the great candy pictures, his cars were always my favorites and really want to build a copy of this rare 1963 Willys coupe.

Dave.

Attached Files:

11. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I think you must have seen that clone that was in the Rodders Journal.

(The clone is awesome btw)

The real car is missing and presumed lost forever.

12. Weasel

Weasel

Giving credence to the theory that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Keep us posted on your progress Dave.

13. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Here is a copy of the card you are talking about, I have one complete set of the Hot Rod cards with lots of extras. This was card number 20 out of 66 and its my only copy of this one so being a Willys fan back then this card is in the worst condition of them all since I showed it to everyone. I think the set came out in 1966. If anybody is missing some to complete there set let me know I have as many as 6 of the same numbers. This picture is Big John's Candy Apple Hemi Willys Coupe.

Attached Files:

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The last time it was raced with a small Chevy was the '63 Nationals. Maybe that will give everyone a major event to scrounge for pictures. In fact, it appears that the car debuted just before this event, so it may be the only time it was run with a SBC in competition.

If you find a picture of the Mazmanian Willys - and it is marked as competing in B/GS - then it is the SBC car. When he lost B/GS at Indy, he replaced the engine with a blown Hemi and the car was moved to A/GS for good.

I'm getting this info from the book Gasser Wars by Larry Davis and it is a must-have!

There is one picture of it in the book that shows it at Indy in '63, but it is a front 3/4 shot and is partially obscured by a spectator on p116.

15. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I just found this article that shows John's Willys in early 1964 at Lions and Pomona with the old red paint and the new Hemi. It now has a weight bar and changed the lettering to A/GS. Must have been soon after these pictures the car was painted Candy Red. I still cant see the details I need on the B&M lettering. Hopefully someone has a clear shot of it for me.

Attached Files:

16. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

More to the story, I got my Gasser Wars book out and now we know the rest of the story about the paint. Notice my problem, every picture I find of the car you cant see the details of the B&M lettering. I have a few more pictures but there all the same, no detail.

Attached Files:

17. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Another picture from Gasser Wars book. Since I am asking abouth this Coupe, anybody know if those were Corvette tail light lenses on Willys bases? Looks like the same set up that is on the Texera Willys. I had asked on that thread but didnt get a reply.

Attached Files:

18. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Dave are these any good to you.
    Paul.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Here is one from Don Montgomerys Gasser book.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  20. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Hey Paul its been a long time, glad to see your still doing well and still have your Willys. Thanks for the pictures cant get enough of them. I am trying to find a good clear picture of the B&M lettering done on the sides of Johns first paint job, the lettering was done by Big Daddy Ed Roth its its nothing like all the other B&M designs. You can tell its a Roth job. I want to copy this design on my car and cant seem to find any good pictures. As I look and find more I will post them since there are alot of Big John Mazmanium and Willys fans out there. Here is another from Montgomerys Supercharged Gas Coupes book.

Attached Files:

21. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Another from Montgomerys book.

Attached Files:

22. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Big thanks to Don Montgomery for these.

Attached Files:

23. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I think by now you guys know what I am looking for.

Attached Files:

24. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

This is my last one for now and the picture that got my attention.

Attached Files:

25. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Dave yes the Hamberis & Mitchell car is still going strong.
    Post some photos of the build as you go along, Or is it already done.

Paul.

26. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

27. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

More.

Attached Files:

28. violet springs

violet springs

This is from the magazine Drag Racing Nov.1964[​IMG]

29. Deuces

Deuces

Revell did a 1/25 scale model kit of the one mentioned a few years back... Do a search on Ebay if your interested in a kit! :)

30. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Wow, you guys are still trying to help. Can you believe after all this time still no good shots of this Roth lettering on Johns B/GS Willys! The model kit is different, thanks for the help. Im sure someone has a nice clear shot of the B&M logo and Roth guy on the trans.