Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A coupe after a 20 year sleep - Video added

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, Jan 7, 2011.

1. So the economy has a few things seeing the light of day.

This was a sometime hotrod, start/stop/start project from back when.<O:p<O:p</O:p
    "Reported" to have some vintage speed parts, zepher intake, polished aluminum bellhousing, polished lower front cover, etc..

Previous owner said the motor came out of a vintage speed boat (hmmmm well ok interesting) and drove it around in this configuration for a few years before starting on the body. <O:p</O:pI don't know anything much about Model A banger motors, we are going to try and fire it up tomorrow.
    <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    Any help would be great.

<O:p</O:pYes it will end up in the classifieds, I just thought it would entertaining to be around when this one was drug out of its hiding place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. I put a couple ounces of hilton's hyper-lube in each cylinder and rolled it over by hand a couple times. The multi-piece spark plugs need some attention, a couple feet of fuel line, so I'm off to scrounge around another locals shop...

3. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

very cool do you have a price in mind yet

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Cool banger, you gonna sell the engine and tranny and keep the rest?

5. I think everything is an option at this point. Like alot of guys, he needs cash to pay some biills and unfortunately thats why it was drug out of hiding.

6. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

It's a Model B engine. B's had fuel pumps and a 3 bolt water pump. Can't really see the fuel pump. The aux oil filter blocks the view. Check the serial number to see if it starts with an "A" or not.

Nice find. Keep posting updates. Love it.

7. I think it is a Model A engine but if there is a provision to mount a fuel pump under the oil filter then it is definitely a Model B. I think I can see the oil return line which is characteristic of a Model A and not a Model B. The head is definitely Model B with the three bolt water pump. The Model B head will bolt onto the Model A engine.

Charlie Stephens

8. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Charlie. After I posted, I realized that a B head might fit the A. I was in over my head, so I backed off. HAHA

9. Turned her through a couple times by hand

Well after rigging a jug of gas, electric fuel pump, some hose, a couple alligator clips to a jump box.... lit her off in first couple cranks, the stromberg 97 didn't leak a drop (expected it to look like a lawn sprinkler), filled the radiator and let her warm up. I coaxed the clutch for the first lap and then ran her 4 miles ride up the road and back. Short shifting into 3rd got a squirrely 49mph in the snow before the interstate T. It was a cold and wet 27 degrees but I didn't know when/if I'd get the chance again to drive a snotty little 4 cylinder in a coupe shell. We got to the end of the frontage road and stopped to warm our hands back up the radiator while she happily idled sitting in the snow.

Damn If I could do the everyday... it doesn't pay very well but it was a heck of a lot of fun..

[​IMG]

I got a few more segments of video but you get the idea.

It really is too bad he has to sell it

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  10. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

That A-bone sounds good;) Bolt more stuff on her & she will start
    lookn' like Ol #3 .......LOL Lookn Good

Ol Deuce

11. Thanks R,

How many of these rolled through your mispent youth?

12. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Hey Kint, I met a guy in Oklahoma yesterday who bought an old hot rod pickup from you. It looked cool.

13. I remember him, he actually bought the truck from Lowriders Art Gallery but he wasn't yet a member here. He drove from OK to Montana no stops with his dad to get the project, arrived in the middle of the night, we loaded it on the trailer, he turned around and headed right back.... a man on a mission.