Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help sprayin monster flakes!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the DutchDude, Jan 8, 2011.

1. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

looked in the search area first ,,
    couldn't find anything that would help me out on this,,
    i wanna spray the roof of my car with roth ''monster'' flakes,,
    i think there the second largest flakes they got,,
    i got a 2.5 spraygun , the one they sell,,
    kept the mixture 90% flakes 10% clear,,
    and still hardly anything comes out,,
    when cleanin the gun i noticed the flakes kinda cloggin up in the gun , blockin traffic,,
    also , didn't add any reducer like perscribed,,
    can anyone help me out on this??
    perry

2. alterbob

alterbob
    from Butler,Pa.

Guys I know Have laid base maker down wet then had flakes in a salt and pepper shaker then kept laying the clear to it.Good luck

3. Drill out your tip.

4. Noland

Noland

Its just way to much flake in the mixture, you want like a tablespoon or two for a sprayable cup worth of paint. I use a intercoat product to spray the flake, its a base clear HOK makes it or PPG DBC 500. I mix the paint like the paint company says. Then once Im happy with the flake I put like 4 coats of regular clear on, let dry block wetsand with 1000 and reclear with 2 additional coats. Heres a grill shell I did. Its rothrageous red.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. filthy frank

filthy frank

i allways thought the ratio was 12 oz of flake to a cup of flat clear ?

6. I am no expert but it sounds like too much flake. I first time spraying flake I screwed up pretty good. I forgot to remove the filter!! Worked way better after that was removed. I also started using a PPG blender (intercoat)to spray the flake with.

7. Neil1952

Neil1952

I had same problem with that gun, probably better off using an old Binks #7 or simular with a 1.8 or bigger nozzle and afew marbles rolling around in the pot to keep the flake suspended, new clears are not as thick as the old laquer types so it doesnt help keep the flake suspended

8. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

fixed the problem,,
    drilled up and old nozzle,,
    worked like a charm,,
    tried contacting roth too but no reply,,
    kinda dissapointed,, they sell a gun that can't shoot there own flakes,, a bit weird,,

9. volksjunky

volksjunky

I have the Roth gun and it works fine. I use an intercoat clear,and roughly a tablespoon of flake at a time. I tried to go heavier and it did want to clog. I also had to just use some stainless bolts to keep it mixed up,everything else I tried sat right on the bottom and clogged the gun.

10. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

i had the same problem with their monster flake. i found the best thing is to use a siphon gun and NOT a gravity gun. I got a 2.8 tip for my Binks and it works great. i also keep 2 metal ball bearing in cup to keep flake stirred up.And DONT thin clear. just add activator.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  11. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

If it's really Monster Flake, check out tcpglobal.com They sell the FLAKEBUSTER for under $150 and you can almost spray dimes out of it! You pretty much need 2 guys, one to lay the clear down, the other to spray the flake and "pat down" the flakes that "stand up". After that, bury the monster flake with tons of clear and cut and buff. Not so quick, but pretty much painless.

Here are a few shots of a bobber I painted with Chrome Monster Flake and then Kandy Green. In the sun, it's pretty bright!

Attached Files:

12. monsterflake

monsterflake

13. Met Roth Jr at the Cincinnati show 2 days ago. Probably why you could not get ahold of him.
    My son shoots big flake and uses a 2.5 nozzle. His ratio of flake to clear is a pint of big flake to every 2 quarts of clear.

14. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

Good info here