Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do U?? remove clearcoat from polished Aluminum???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Jan 7, 2011.

1. I have a polished intake for my flattie. The PO clear coated the intake after polishing. The clear has yellow in areas. What is the best way to remove the clear without etching the polished aluminum?

2. 64gal

64gal

I have used automotive paint stripper on alloy wheels and it didnt seem to etch or mark them, just rinse well and buff. You should try it on the under side maybe.

3. big creep

big creep

try easyoff oven cleaner, i used to take off anodizing from aluminum with that stuff!

4. Terrible1g60

Terrible1g60

Oven cleaner defanitly works I use it all the time for polished bike parts

5. Had some wheels done shot blasted with crushed walnut shells...took a bit of effort to polish out again but worked out nicely

6. I've used Easy-Off to remove anodizing years ago. I wasn't sure if it would dull or etch the polished metal.

Thanks - I'll give it a try

7. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Easy-Off may be a bit harsh...I'd try some Citri-Strip paint stripper in an inconspicuous area first. You can get it at Home Depot or most other home improvement stores. Its pretty mild, but works well.

8. my experience w/ bike parts is that ez off and oven cleaners will mess up the finish on the aluminum. I will never put that stuff on anything aluminum that I care about again. if it were me, i'd media blast with glass bead or the old fashioned way with good old fashioned paint stripper and some elbow grease.

9. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

easy off will make your polished aluminum dull use aircraft stripper

10. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Try an oven............................Outdoors, of course!!!!.......................375-475 degrees, should kill that clear coat, unless they used some high temp stuff............

11. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Will acetone work? How about a paint gun cleaner?

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive used cheap paint thinner on alot of different type clears that seem to work good.