Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead vs SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutbush, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

As is a nailhead, early Olds or Pontiac, FE Ford, or your average Briggs & Stratton :p
    Looking at another sbc is about as interesting as listening to Rosie O'Donell :eek:

2. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Ford Flathead: You never spent so much to go so slow.

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Disclaimer: I am a Ford guy.

Having said that, I recognize that hot rodders have been putting small block chevies and four-speeds into old Fords for over fifty years. This combination is really the one (of these two) if you demand a modern level of performance.

The flathead has its advantages, but none of them are technical, and you will have to accept a lower level of performance, and probably a higher initial cost.

Figure out what you want the car to be able to do, honestly, and you will find the answer for yourself.

4. threeston

threeston

I just don't see how a flathead could cost more to rebuild. it seems to be an artificially inflated price attached to the price of parts. maybe a slight premium but 2-3 times the cost? that really doesn't make sense at all.

I could also see how it costs more simply because more parts would need to be replaced.

5. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Yes it is. That was my point. Everybody changed. The early Mopar hemi morphed into the poly which morphed into the la smallblock which is still being built today in the guise of the new hemi.

6. Abomb

Abomb

Simple answer....supply and demand

7. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

It's a combo of "secret" technology and hording.

8. George/Maine

George/Maine

Nice seeing another 39.
    I just finished building mine the way i wanted it,When i bought it the frame was bad,low geared 4.44 gears,trans was junk,overheated.New Walker radator fixed that,then water pump started leaking new pumps another $200.
    It did have a good motor run it hard about 100miles at high rpms and seemed to be ok.What i did was get another frame put a IFS,trans kit for c4,and kit for 8 inch rear.I,m running a 8ba mercury 1949thur 1953 turns out it was a true mercury 255 and .060 over.Its a fun car to drive but if the flathead went think i,d go ohv,I do have 302 Ford in garage.Chevy would be 2nd choice.

9. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Special Ed, your posts seem to have vanished. Much like the sbc hopefully.

I can't find any smilies.

10. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

324 Olds best looking of all the early ohv V8's

11. Gator

Gator

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :D :rolleyes: :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

12. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I looked it up just now. Summits rebuild kit for sbc costs $220. Partick's rebuild kit for Ford '59a at $754. I'm not good with numbers; what do you come up with? ;)

Note, both are old catalogs that I have sitting beside me so both prices are probably higher now.

Neal

13. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Yeah, but you're still talkin' Chevy in a Ford. Why not a 2.3 turbo?

14. 1320/150

1320/150

x2....

15. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It cracks me up every time this subject comes up. The only thing the two motors have in common are the number of spark plugs.

Flathead = big cool factor
    Sbc = mildly cool

Flatheads unreliable ? Total bullshit that been proven over and over.

If all you sbc guys want it all so cheep and easy why the hell are you building old cars?

Bottom line the two aren’t comparable ... there not from the same space in time.
    Yes the V8 costs a bit more and at its best will only make the power of a mild 327 but the satisfaction of having the original hot rod V8 under the hood is worth it + the sound cant be beat.

16. 1320/150

1320/150

^^^^Should I put a flathead in my 57??

17. Just spent about $4,000 for flathead to be rebuilt......and what do you end up with...underpowered. Put that same $ in a sbc you will have more bang for your buck!

18. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Yes and a deuce grill shell ;)

19. Bingo.

20. 1320/150

1320/150

Touche'

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Ok, so why ask then? It's obviously not a choice you're thrilled about.

DON"T WORRY! I have the answer, even if it's not the question you asked.;)

This is Moriarity's '40, with a 331 Caddy.

Now, tell me I'm wrong!:D

Attached Files:

22. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

If you're going for a pre-'55 look, well, that answers your question. Otherwise, if you had a flatty, I'd say paint it up nice and make a display piece out of it. Of course, I don't like my hot rods to get passed by Hyundai minivans either. Spending thousands of unnecessary dollars on engines that don't make any power, for the sake of being "different", sounds more like the tuner market than hot rodding. Why not put a Ford SB in it? The parts are as cheap as Chevy stuff now, and any hot rodder than can't make one fit in an early chassis needs to hang up his wrenches.

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

End of flathead production 1953
    Beginning of SBC production 1954

As soon as the SBC was introduced, early Ford owners started yanking flatheads and replacing them with SBCs. Why? Because they were hot rodders and the SBC MADE MORE POWER! If you're about hot rodding, go with the SBC. If you're about the old ladies preservation society, go with the flathead.

I'm joking, of course, as I have a '56 Chevy with a SBC and a '47 Ford with a flathead. And, well, a '54 Dodge with a hemi, too.

Either choice is a good choice; just a matter of what you feel most comfortable with.

P.S. I once owned a '39 Standard coupe. Kick myself for selling it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  24. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

EZ. If you're even asking this question, get a SBC and keep the hood shut.

You have to *really* want a flattie to go to that much trouble.

Nothing looks or sounds like them, though.

EDIT: It costs more to look cool, and a flathead is very, very cool:cool:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  25. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

wow, some pretty good answers. Having no idea what I was in for, I have learned alot here. After reading all the posts...I think the flatty might not be exactly what I am looking for with my 39. I had no clue as to cost or performance, so is why I asked.

That caddie with strombergs sure looks cool!

thanks for all the great ideas and thoughts!

26. merc49

merc49
    from illinois

around my neck of the woods everyone has started putting non norm engines in rods.with the easiest and most powerfull being cadillac engines.a friend of mine bought a running 70 cadillac fleetwood for 1000 bucks and took the 500 in. engine and trans and put it in his 48 merc.the car really flies and has more hp and torque that you will ever need.i also own a flathead merc and love it but they cost around 4500 bucks to rebuild and mine has a whopping 125 hp.

27. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

28. big creep

big creep

thats cheap! if i had the extra money, i would do a flathead!!!! but i dont so im going to run a small block. ill win the lotto some day. then it wont be a problem!!!!

29. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

no, Oldsmobile. 2.3? meh. But a NA 2.3 came in all kinds of Ford, from Mustangs to Rangers...

30. I dunno were some of you guys are getting flatheads rebuilt. Around here they start at around 2500.00 and go up depending what performance goodys you want internally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.