Register now to get rid of these ads!

PPG Shopline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Jan 6, 2011.

1. 5window

5window

The paint I want to use on my Model A-PPG IM124 (a match for Henry's 1929 Balsam Green), is apparently just available as a PPG Shopline color. I'd appreciate opinions on the quality/suitability of this paint and any tips or advice I can give the person painting the car for me. Thanks.

2. Clark

Clark

Shopline is ok. I've used it from time to time. It will hold a shine and is generally OK. The biggest problem with it is coverage. On average if a good paint will cover in 2-3 coats it takes 3-4 coats for coverage.
    Clark

3. jgochneaur

jgochneaur

we used shopline but we had the paint shop add more pigment to paint worked realy good

4. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

a good paint shop canmix it for you in a high grade of paint...goto orelli's in williamsport....they'll giveu the formula toin case you need more

5. Shopline is the same thing as their Omni Line. No problems with the stuff - gonna look acceptable for most folks. I have used it with no problems , Coverage may be the only issue dependeing on color.

6. 5window

5window

Thanks. Actually, it was Orelli's in Shamokin Dam that gave me the formula.

7. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

they should be able to mix it in dbc then....like it was said before its the omni line and it should cross over...i have they do custom mixs for me in dbc....the key is you need a good mixer....anybody can pull cans off a shelf and weigh on a scale....it takes an artistto just pull cans and make a custom mix....why i use the one in williamsport...

on a side note if u ever need any thing i work at metropolitan rest. service down in hartleton...were expanding now but wed be glad to do any work and we'll give you a good deal...jon one ofthe owners is on here...were adding a full down draft paint booth

8. Trencher

Trencher

I thought I'd cheat and use it on my tow pig...the color was ok in shopline...but do yourself a favor and use GOOD clear

9. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

oh and if its a true match for balsam green they have a ditzler number for it in lac. then there is a crossover to DBC base numbers i looked it up in PPGs touchmix system

10. 5window

5window

Thanks for the advice. Beyond 2stage,lacquer,enamel-I don't know much about paint, so I appreciate the education. It looks ke what is available close by is PPG and Martin Senour. Dupon't closest supplier is about 1.5 hours away. There are Model A paints available online, but that seems to be setting up for problems. I would rather deal locally.

So, my next questions are:
    1. Anyone have a good PPG or MS code for 1929 Balsam Green that I can actually use?
    2. If I go to a paint supplier (like Orelli's) and want a paint mixed in a better grade-or with more pigment added-how do I ask for this without looking like an idiot?

Thanks,guys.

11. 1time

1time
    from minnesota

Ask your PPG vendor to call the PPG color library & get a cross number from shop line to DBC base coat, then clear it with DC4000 clear also a PPG product, you will have much better results, shop line is a great product but its intended use is more for cheaper projects, farm implement, truck & trailer type stuff, {no offense to farmers } if you spend a little more now it will save you in the long run

12. 5window

5window

That's what I need. Thanks.

13. CARMENDER

CARMENDER

Greg @ Orellis can/will mix a shopline up and spray it out, then use the profit to mix it in DBC. We have done it a few times and it works. If not, Len's in Shamokin is a Dupont dealer.

14. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

is this good enough for ya???

100.00 a gal. Shopline

Attached Files:

15. henry29

henry29

Is that base with no clear?

16. spoons

spoons
    from ohio