Register now to get rid of these ads!

what car did you learn to drive in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69f100, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

I learned to drive in my dads 56 Chevy Bel Air

2. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

I backed my mom's 62 olds fiesta wagon down the driveway and into a fence post when I was 3, does that count?

3. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

1954 studebaker champion

4. big bad john

big bad john

......1940 Ford pickup.........I grew up on a farm....I was twelve at the time...

5. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

1967 Mercury Caliente 2DR Hardtop...

6. loburban

loburban

53 plymouth, then1961 Simca with 4 speed on column

7. 37 Ford pickup at my uncles farm when I was 13.

8. bobbyd08

bobbyd08
    from md

'41 Plymouth coupe, three on the tree. it was my dads. wish I had it now.:(

Bobbyd

9. 1949 plymouth 4 dr standard shift. When my parents went out in the new 60 chevy I would take the plymouth for a joy ride. I was 13 years old and taught myself to drive. I was cool!

10. burnout2614

burnout2614

This one, was 9 yrs old. I am 47 now. Talked my uncle out of it 2 yrs ago. My girlfriend says the boxes are almost art! Should be drivin this thing by spring, stopping by summer! peace

Attached Files:

11. I learned on my dad's '56 big window Ford PU, baby blue, 272, a granny 4 speed, and a Detroit locker. He got rid of it when I was in VN. I would have liked to keep that one, but I still have the first new car he he ever bought, a 1929 ford cabriolet.

12. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

I drove farm equipment starting at about 10 years old but my first real road driving experience was my 68 F-100, bought it when i was 15. 3 on the tree, no pwr steering or brakes, 4 wheel drums that felt like 2 wheel drums and i didnt know how to drive a stick.

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

14. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Awesome thread, mine was a 1970 mustang convertible! Automatic, small block car. Heres the real kicker, my folks had the car and I got it as a hand-me-down. I still have it today! Little did we know it was an extreamly rare car. Thanks Mom & Dad!

15. fryguy

fryguy

I was lucky that I got to learn on a hot rod/muscle car. I was 15 and it was 1985. My dads 1966 El Camino with a 283 and Muncie 4 speed. I had to learn to drive stick in order to get my license. I thought it was a big PITA back then. Now I thank him every time I get in my roadster!

Fryguy

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

'50s something Vauxhall Envoy in a field. Hey, at least it was a stick!

17. I learned how to use the accelerator when I was 4 in my grandpa's '71 Chevy Impala...the telephone pole taught me how to stop!

18. capn8

capn8

i got to learn to drive in my 51 chevy 4 door custom deluxe. loved it. nothing like learning to drive sans power steering/brakes.

19. I was 7 years old, Dad had a 34 coupe. I sat on his lap every Sunday while going somewhere. I steered and he worked the pedals. I thought I was driving.
    Attached picture of my 27 T Roadster Pick Up. Was a big show winner when I first finished it. Hauled too many neighborhood kids to win trophy's now but still runs great and still hauls neighbors and their kids.
    bill

Attached Files:

20. threeston

threeston

When I was 14 my dad was in SD and had a heart attack. While out there for the week or so, I was stuck with my little brother at my grandparents (mother's side) cabin out in the black hills. He had a 1946 jeep willies that was really nice, original non synchro 4 speed with 4 banger. he let me drive it up and down his about mile long dirt drive, up and down some fairly steep hills with no power brakes. I remember having to stand, literally and push with my back against the seat to slow down, since I couldn't downshift very well.

you know he also had these awesome old willies pickups and stuff I wish I could have received one to restore. He built his cabin by hand, grading the property with a bulldozer with no reverse. I guess he just did the grading by making sure he never ended up in a dead end.

I was 14 so this must have been around 1995 or something. driving a ww2 jeep around to learn how to drive, and shift. I learned how to let the clutch out between shifts to get it into the next gear.

21. Dad's Little '75 Chevy Luv pickup, w/ 4spd standard. Learned at around 10 with Dad--joyriding around the area by 14.
    Sorry Dad . . . couldn't help myself.

22. dr john

dr john
    BANNED
    from CSA

Parents 64 Impala. As far as manual transmissions go, I got those mastered on my Godparents Ford pickup on their sod farm. That, and putting a hundred thousand miles or so on the clutch and transmission in my dad's 66 Corvette whilst sitting still in the garage!

23. The one in my avatar:)

24. dragdaddyO

dragdaddyO

I learned to drive a tractor when i was tall enough to reach the brake. It was a one row Allis-Chamblers with a hand crank. Before I drove cars I was riding motorcycles, my dad bought an old Honda Scrambler for $50 and pointed me towards the open field. I owned my first car 3 years before I was old enough to drive it. It was a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500, white over black. It took several evenings and weekends to get the car in running order. I bought a 1965 Chevy Fleetside and was driving it to school before I finished the Fairlane.

25. I was 13 and my dad bought me a 1971 SS Chevelle, dark green with white stripes, cowl induction and green interior. At the time I hated this car, but now I wish I till owned it...

26. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

1965 Buick Skylark when I was 14 Had a blast until mom and dad found out.

BC

27. RAY With

RAY With

Learned in a 37 international stake body one ton on the ranch then a 1948 sedan

28. DJCallaghan

DJCallaghan
    from Australia

1960 FB Holden Special. Manual 3 on the tree, 6cylinder 'grey' motor. Got rapped over the knuckles with a wooden ruler each time I made a mistake (lotsa bruised knuckles). musta done ok though, still got a license nearly 50 yeqrs on.:)

29. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

My Dad's drinking buddy's '51 Chevy wagon. He said if I could take off in it I could drive it! Been drivin' ever since! That was on my 8th birthday in 1957!! My Mom got back from wherever she went just in time to see me wheel it in the driveway, for the third time, and had apoplexy!! (Whatever that is) She was WAY pissed at Dad and the buddy, but the future of me drivin' was etched in stone by then.... She might've been more pissed 'cause Dad said I could drive a stick way better than she could...LOL! She, not so fondly, remembered that day until she passed away (in 1997).

30. 63wickedduce

63wickedduce
    from atwater mn

in a 94 buick centery i learned to drive stick in a 65 rambler classic