Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anybody out the deal with ABS Power Brakes??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dimebag, Jan 6, 2011.

1. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Hey Guys,

I have been looking to swap to discs for the front of my 50 Chev and found this company. I know it may not be traditional-but its a question of safety for both me and my family...so it is something i will not vary from. Anyhow just wondering if anybody has any experiences with them good or bad before I send hundreds of dollars to this company.
    Thanks again!!

2. BadCat68

BadCat68
    from C.R. MN

company link?

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

4. bryan6902

bryan6902

I think a lot of guys here use Scarebird for disc brake conversions, do a search. I used Master Power Brakes when I converted to disc brakes. I sent them my spindles and got 2 huge boxes back. Complete front brakes, calipers, rotors, pads, tapered roller bearings.. Just bolted it back together. Very happy with them!

5. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

I tryed twice to put there(ABS) power brakes under a 51 chevy car, the first one never fit, they gave me a updated one it was worse than the first one. No way it would fit with the body on the chassis, I gave up and put it back stock . Anyone alse every put one on a 51 chevy car??? what a joke they (people) make this stuff and it just dont work but they sell them for 350 bucks, I think its called fraud.

6. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

isn't ABS the guys that come to the swap meets with the big trailer and displays and sales guys?

maybe not

anywway

my friend paid them $1200+ to put discs on the front of his 60something Chevy PU.

They worked great, till the he had to slam on the brakes on the freeway and the rear end came around into the center divider.

They'd put one of those generic prop valves in.

Maybe the truck would have wrecked anyway or it was driver error or I dunno what. I can't help but think in the back of my mind that they just threw that combo on there cuz that's what the catalog said and it was easiest, and nobody ever tested it properly to make sure the rear didn't lock up before the front

Just another reason why I do my own work.

7. I have used them many times thorugh my shop over the last 10 years, for both brakes parts and steering box rebuilds. Never once had a problem with them

8. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

Can you make there power brake set up work on a 51 chevy I cant without removing the body or cutting the shit out of there 5/16 steel plate mounting plate. ever use a ABS kit on a 51 chevy car?? thanks