Register now to get rid of these ads!

White Liquor and Dirt Tracks 2011

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconsprint63, Dec 10, 2010.

1. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Hope this is the right place to put this--if not maybe the invisible hand will move it where it needs to go.:D

The Mount Airy Musuem of Regional History is hosting it's second annual "White Liquor and Dirt Tracks" event January 22, 2011 from 10-5. Admission is $5. This is the launch event for the annual racing themed exhibit (Legacy of Teamwork) to be on display through July of 2011.

The day's scheduled activities include an autograph session with Junior Johnson and other race drivers, presentations by NASCAR Historian Daniel Pearce and Emmy Winning filmmaker Neal Hutcheson (The Last One) along Rock-a-billy and oldies music by Evan and Dana, diplays of vintage race cars and moonshine runners and a winter time cruise-in in historic downtown Mount Airy, NC (aka Mayberry--the snappy lunch awaits you).

Owners of vintage race cars and moonshine runners being displayed during the event will receive free admission, but you MUST register in advance with the museum. If they don't know you're coming you'll just be considered another spectator is an old car. Pre-registered runners and racers should be onsite by 9:00 AM.

FYI, presenting partners for the exhibit include Wood Brothers Racing, Richard Childress Racing, Hendrick Motorsports, Michael Waltrip Racing, Petty Enterprises, and the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Schedule detials will be posted on the museum's website (www.northcarolinamuseum.org) as they firm up.

For more information call: 336-786-4478 or email [email protected]

I'll post some pics from last year later--they were too big for the forum. See you in january

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. One of these days I gotta make it down there for this event. Sounds like a good time.......Don.

3. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

mark you calendars.

4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Junior Johnson is scheduled to sign autographs and such at 1:00 PM.

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

semi-final schedule looks like this:

8:00 Parking for Race Cars and Bootleggers, Driver sign-in

10:00 Doors Open to the Public

10-12--Racer's Roundtable and Panel Discussions

12-1--"The Last One" with Emmy winning documentary filmmaker Neal Hutcheson

1-2--Meet and Greet and Autograph session with Junior Johnson

1-2--Talk and Book signing with NASCAR Historian Daniel Pierce

3-5--Concert featuring "Evan and Dana"

Select Downtown parking will be blocked off for Cruise-in participants beginning at 9 AM.

Those who bring vintage race cars or moonshine runners to display AND register in advance will receive free admission to the event. Ya'll come out!

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sounds cool. Too cool. Why don't they have this when the weather is a little warmer? I might make the July event, however. Gary

7. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

It will be time for "NASCAR" to kick off 2011 when it is warmer maybe?

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

The original event was planned during a NASCAR downtime to tap into a fanbase with not much to do, and in the hopes of getting more drivers involved since it was the "off season"--we've since learned there really isn't an "off season. "

We'll see how attendance goes this year, but there's a possibility that it may move to the summer in 2012. It was discussed for this year, but we decided to stick with the original winter date for 2011.

9. Lakehouse51

Lakehouse51
    from Virginia

OK!! make your plans they have one in Mayodan N.C. in Aug. or July I forget which ( they have a web site ) it is located near the Distillery, with free tour's and samples, 2-day event with a Cruise.

10. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

yeah went to that one this year--don't want to butt heads there--Piedmont Distillers ha been too helpful this year.

If the distillery likes what they see in our event this year I expect they'll probably have a larger presence in 2012--they're a new partner.

11. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Sounds like a Great event, thanks for sharing that info.

12. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Tell all your friends and come on out. for those in the carolinas and VA, you can preview "The Last One" (the movie about shine making and Popcorn Sutton) tonight at 10 on UNC TV. The movie's producer will be at the event.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

14. irishtom

irishtom

RIP Popcorn. God bless him.

15. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

still trying to pin down specifics on which old timer's are coming for sure--we found last year you just don't know until the day of. We've received confirmation from Rex White, Bill Mangum (from the NC/VA Vintage Dirt Track Racer's Assn) and Jerry Hatcher, a former NASCAR official and flagman. Hope to announce some big names next week pending final confirmation, but today's prep meeting bodes well.

RCR and Hendrick will both have merchandise booths at the event as will Neal and a few others.

more to follow as we creep closer to the day.

16. My sentiments exactly. I've got his book. What a character he must have been. Would have enjoyed meeting him.

17. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

from my experience he was just what you see in the movie. I knew him in passing through the longstanding AACA swap at Maggie Valley. It was pretty much what you see is what you get--he's missed by many.

18. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Just got the official thumbs up. Chocolate Myers will be there on Saturday. He hasn't said exactly what time, but he plans to drop in for a while--I'm trying to talk him into moderating the Racer's Roundtable at 10 AM. Stay tuned.

19. I don't think anyone shed more tears than Chocolate did when Earnhardt passed. Seems like a really nice guy.

20. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

1960 Grand National Champion Rex White will be in attendance at the Racer's roundtable as well.

21. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

home stretch bump. started exhibit installation today. busy few days ahead.

22. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Ya got a street address that I can Google for driving directions to the main parking ?
    Thanks

23. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

I wish I was close enough to make it. Sounds great!

Has anyone see the movie they talk about, Red Dirt Rising???

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  24. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

301 N. Main Street,
    Mt Airy, NC 27030

old cars street side on the right, all others streetside in downtown or in our Virginia Street Lot (hang a right off Main at the museum).

12 hours and counting

25. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

they previewed Red Dirt Rising here last year, but it wasn't out of production yet. I'll try and find a link, but there was a good write up on it in the Winston Salem Journal two or three weeks about. It's available on DVD now.

26. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Thanks for the info. Wish it would have been warmer.

27. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Me too, but the weather held for us--clear and cold. Good turn out for all the programs. Thanks to all who came and participated. will try to get some pics up next week.