Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original 1932 Ford Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronpac60, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ronpac60

ronpac60

Can someone help me please? I bought a car that was presented as having an original 1932 Ford frame. I'm having trouble verifying stamped numbers on the frame. I was told it should start with an 18 and then numbers... and I was told it should start with a "star" and have digits and end with a "star". I've seen pictures on the HAMB of an original 1932 Ford Roadster that is stamped like mine *2584522* and doesn't start with an 18 so can someone help me on what the stamped numbers should look like? And, this number was above steering box in front of firewall on driver's side just like mine. Thanks!

2. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Can you post a pic? You could put a piece of tape over the numbers in the center and just show the outside ones.

3. alchemy

alchemy

It could have a B instead of an 18, if it was a 4 cylinder model.

4. BELLM

BELLM

V8 cars started with 18, 4 cylinder started with B.

5. peteynj

peteynj
    from Jersey

I believe 18 was the prefix for a v8 car and B was the prefix for a 4 banger. The frame can be a gennie but the original vin could of been used on another frame (aftermarket).

6. There were some '32 frames which did not get the prefix stamped into the frame. Only the sequence number is stamped. However, the sequence number would not be 7 digits, it would be 6 digit maximum, peaking out at 20x,xxx.

Also, the number should appear in more than one place along the left frame rail. The prefix number may appear in the other locations, farther back on the top of the frame rail. These other locations can get hard to find since there is usually more rust where the body was mounted.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A lot of the frames had AB ****** ( 4 cylinder cars )

8. Mine has the star 18 then my numbers and star, on the one by the firewall.The numbers behind the door only have the star the numbers then the star. I have found many are this way. As for the numbers if it is star B or star AB then it is a four cylinder and the numbers followed the model A numbers and are not limited to just the six didgets that the v8 were.

9. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

The early "32" started with *AB and the sequential number started at 5,000,000 and ended with the star. The v8 cars started with * 18 then the sequential number, but not from the 5,000,000 number.

There were many variations of the frame including crossmsmbers.

There was an article "32 frame history lesson" in the November 10, issue of Hot Rod deluxe.

10. Ron,

Assuming your number is correct but missing the "18" prefix it would put the frame in January 1936. Any chance you have a 1936 frame? Any chance you misread the number? The '32 has a K member for the center crossmember and the '33 and up has an X member. The frame should be stamped on the top of the left rail near the steering box where it can be read without removing anything and two places under the body (you need to lift body). In the two places under the body the prefix was omitted.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A photo or two of the frame or car with frame might help clear things up a bit. No need to show the serial number though.

12. Dad's 1932

Dad's 1932
    from Santa Rosa

I have an original frame and a pic of the Vin number if you need it .PM if you want it .

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011