Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods White Walls - Front wheels only?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42oldschool, Jan 4, 2011.

1. 42oldschool

42oldschool

Any of you running white walls on your fronts wheels only? I would like to only run them on the front only but I don't know how they would look. I've seen them before, but I cant think if I liked it? Could some of you that have, post some pictures? Much appreciated!

2. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Ive seen many cars with only wide whites up front, but the car also had rear skirts. Looked fine to me. I say go for it if you have rear skirts.

3. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

since I have no pics of rear tires on my project, hard to tell kinda, but Seeing as my build budget gets smaller every minute, I can;t Imagine I will run whitewalls on the rear anytime soon, but "normal " size 15" fronts are cheap !
    IMG_1090r.jpg

I've seen a few cars with the whitewalls only on the fronts...I Like it

4. alumslot

alumslot

I'm not sure what kinds a car your looking for but I like this Willys.

Jim

Attached Files:

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like to run them only on the passenger side.

6. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Checking back through the old vids of the early 60's, many showed up at the strip running their everyday rims and tires. Then they would kick the skinny whites off the back and pop on something for better bite.

I keep several sets of rims and tires and switch them back and forth or combo them depending on the mood.

Attached Files:

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

It was a trend in the early '60s in some areas. Front end has to be low, wheel well cutouts, black wheels & slicks. Some hotshoes painted half the right rear wheel white.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  8. bgaro

bgaro

hell ya, cheaper to burn off blackwalls, plus it makes u look like u dont give a shit
    who doesnt want that.

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

:):):):)

10. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Or just one up front on the driver's side.:)

11. I've seen it done on a bunch of gasser type cars.....what kind of car are you thinking of doing this to?

12. mj40's

mj40's

It would look like you can only afford two at a time.

13. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Fairly common on early drag racers...

14. 42oldschool

42oldschool

It does look odd, but that Willy's is BadA$$!
    I wasnt for sure if it was a trend or anyother reason why they ran it. I dont think its something for my project, but I still like WhiteWalls!

Thanks for the info!

15. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Honestly, I think guys ran all four but when they would drag the car they swapped their rear tires. I have seen them on the rears only a lot though. I think that looks decent

16. After gettin' told how it really was in the 60's on the last wheel/tire thread, I ain't touchin' this with a 10 foot pole! Look in magazines, don't ask an old guy. Apparently we don't know shit. :confused:

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See it's true! Recognition is the 1st step to recovery:D:D:D:D:cool:

18. Ha!

19. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I agree with you, Dean. After all, the magazines are like the internet: everything you see is true and factual. This thread (and the other wheel & tire thread you referred to) is better watched from afar.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny shit. Gravol must have helped?:D:D

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Yeah...never listen to the old guys who were into hotrods in So-Cal....they didn't know what everyone else was doing in other parts of the country.....;)
    And those old magsazines, which only covered the TRENDS of the day from EVERY part of the country......were all PHOTOSHOPPED.....hahaha...
    Guys who were "there" and "lived" it....where is where? Were they everywhere???

Besides...whitewalls just on the rear looks much better....despite the wheels...:p:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  22. Cool, another stupid tire and wheel thread that will bring out some really fucked up comments about what was or wasn't done, who saw what in a magazine and never listen to the guys that actually lived it! Can't wait.
    [​IMG]

23. weez

weez

I took my roadster to Paso once with wws on the front, but I just borrowed them cause my ribbed racers were bald. Got shit for it too...

24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Man I hate to even touch this one but I think some people get a little bull headed at times and refuse to compromise. There's also much unneeded name calling and nose thumbing. I know Dean has made a point about people preferring to have matching wheels on their cars, especially on the street. I agree, but what people aspired to and what actually occurred were a little different. A lot of guys appreciate the little flaws that gave cars character and if your'e trying to recreate the past, there as far as I can tell, were many (drag cars at least) on the track and elsewhere with this and that on either end, whether it be temporary (slicks) or because of budget. Sorry Dean, I've always dug that truck of yours.:eek:

25. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

My dad liked white walls up front. Was not my taste but he built the car like he would have in the late 50s.
    [​IMG]

26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

As far as the OP goes, if your'e building a custom and you can afford 4, buy 4. Unless you have skirts, then go for it.

27. bobscogin

bobscogin

FUCK 'EM ALL! IT'S YOUR CAR!! DO IT THE WAY YOU WANT!!! (Hahahaha, couldn't resist.):D

Bob

28. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

If its a rod hell yeah but the rears better be slicks! lol or a hevy skirted custom too..... Hers mine in a former stage!

Attached Files:

29. I was waiting for that picture to show up. Worked an entire summer for the polished mag Americans. As soon as i got them mounted, didn't like 'em with the white walls. Worked the next summer for the Halibrands. Had the Americans sold, and was waiting for a pair of M&H's to come from Ernie Hashim. The SCTA 1/2 mile meet came up, and the tires were still not here. I was not going to go, but the 1/2 mile was so damn much fun, I borrowed back the rear wheels and tires and took the car out. Someone snapped this shot, and 50 years later it's biteing me in the ass. The car looks like shit in that pic, and it never appeared like that again, ever!

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^^It just keeps getting better!