Register now to get rid of these ads!

Resurrecting a Cork Float Fuel Gauge Sender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Jan 4, 2011.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Trying to save this '29 Chevy fuel sending unit but the float is "gass" logged and reads empty. Can I dry it and seal it with gas tank sealer or what? If replacing with a plastic float what epoxy if any will hold up to being submerged in gas? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

Drink a bottle of good wine, put the cork on the sender.

3. Yep. Or scotch if your tastes lie that way.

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

That's funny guys but to early to hit the wine, seems it would be to small anyway.
    I built a '29 Ford for a guy (his first car) back when and he put it on one of his wine labels.

Attached Files:

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Why does it have to be cork? I'd check for a similar sized brass float from just about anything and solder it to the rod. As long as the distance from the pivot is right and it floats, what else matters?

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Good idea but was worried that if it rubs on bottom (empty) or top of tank (full) it wouldn't last as long as cork or plastic, dunno.......................

7. Willy301

Willy301

you can usually get corks at the hardware store, as to a sealer for it, not sure. Not too many finishes like gasoline, especially with the ethanol in them...might just have to leave it bare and see how long the natural cork takes to break down or absorb enogh gas to sink...I think they naturally resist chemicals for a long time. you could always mix some epoxy and ball it up on the end of a toothpick before dries and then soak it in gas to see if it is resistant, if so coat the cork in epoxy...

8. 85930tudor

85930tudor

you can order a fuel gaugefloat from Mac`s for A model they have 2 types cork or neoprene one is $1.50 the other is $4.65 they will work.

9. i always thought that shellac was used originally to seal cork gas gauge floats, but with ethanol fuel i'm not sure if it would hold up

i'm sure this one from Snyder's could be adapted

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/2450

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

That pritty much says it all, thanks guys can take it from here!

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used corks from the hardware store, they have them in a wide variety of sizes. Trim and sand to shape, mount on the float rod, then dip the whole thing in Red-Kote gas tank liner and they work beautifully.

Red Kote info: http://damonq.com/files/Red-Kote.pdf

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Maybe they have it figured out by now but I have nightmares about the plastic floats in the Quadrajets back when. I just remember having to buy scales to weigh the plastic floats to see if they were too heavy from absorbing fuel to use on a rebuild. I'm just leery of plastic floats. Maybe I'm just paranoid.:D

13. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I run the stock float on my A...When i went through the car i decided to replace the float with a new cork one, well to my suprise the coating on the cork turned to concrete and sunk the float to the bottom!! the suspect, you guessed it, ethanol gas!!...Replaced it with the poly one(its like a cylinder of hard foam) and no further problems.