Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help!! Welding aluminum heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HELLMET, Jan 3, 2011.

1. HELLMET

HELLMET

Any hamber willing to help me with my head for my roadster. They are old eddie myere heads and they have some problems i blew my motor and got some cracks anyone that welds aluminum willing to fix these for me. I need to get my car back on the road. Any help would be great. I dont want new ones i just want these fixed. Thanks billy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Billy, I will do it if you cant find someone closer....
    PM me.
    Dave

3. HELLMET

HELLMET

Thanks im tring to up load pics from my phone but there to big i need to resize them but dont know how

4. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Take it over to Monte at Machine Tech Racing Engines in Oceanside...he's a magician with heads and charges fair prices.

5. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Billy I can weld that for you. Give me a call at the shop.
    Jimmy

6. badshifter

badshifter

Billy, it's a 2 hour drive (Chatsworth) but I'm sure I can fix you up. PM me or send me a few more pics and see what I can do for ya. John

7. HELLMET

HELLMET

thanks guys for all the responces i have more pics of the damage. jimmy may be i can bring the head to gnrs. i'll get ahold of you before then. this is the worst part i want to save them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have seen damage repaired that was WAY worse than what you have. Make sure to take them to someone who has experience with these kinds of repairs and there should be no problems.

9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

get some aluminum cleaner and soak it for a while. there will be oil and dirt in the aluminum that will make it harder to weld.(it pops and spatters)

10. HELLMET

HELLMET

what would be a good metal cleaner to use?

11. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

im not sure what the name is but my local welding supply place had this white bottle with yellow colored cleaner in it. i think it was called alumaclean or something? ill take a look later when i go out to the garage.

also, youlll save the welder some time by grinding out the crack a little with a pointed die grinder, that way you get some good penetration.

12. HELLMET

HELLMET

thanks . some of those cracks are deep

13. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I would think about making a 6061 sleeve and bore the head bolt hole about 3/4 through. Press fit the sleeve into the hole and then weld it on the chamber side, should make a good repair.

14. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

For best results some of those cracks may need to be milled or Veed out before welding.

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

After watching Lamar Walden repair blocks, heads and intakes, my thought is you'll need to knock that bronze guide out, auger out the entire affected area between the guide and the other hole, recreate/build the area up with weld, then re-machine and drill.

Sounds worse than it actually is.

For legit Eddie Meyer heads, I'd send them to someone who can do them RIGHT, like someone who is used to doing full rebuilds and busted aluminum parts, rather than the local machine shop who has done it a time or two.

-Brad

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have a buddy that used to repair BBC aluminum heads in the 70s for a popular racing machine shop. He'd build them up and the machine shop would machine them. He welded up all the corrosion and a few broken fins on a set of Sharp block letter heads. They came out beautiful.

So I found a set of Eddy Meyer heads to go with my EM intake and he tried and tried but he finally gave up. He said it worked fine for a few inches and then he would hit something in the casting and it would just blow up in his face. He tried different areas with the same result. I sold them as wall hangers.

I'd be very careful before I give them to somebody. Mine were in tough shape so I didn't loose anything but those look pretty nice. You don't want to make a mess of them. The guy I used was very experienced so I trust him. Just my experience. Good luck

17. I have welded a few busted heads. Vee it out well. If you vee it out well then it is clean where you are welding. Now brace yourselves. I use stick with Lincoln 43 rod. It looks ugly at first but when I clean it up I can't even find the repair after. Last one welded was virtually in three pieces. I could have pulled it apart but i clamped it together and put the weld to it. (MoparStage 6)
    Don

18. HELLMET

HELLMET

thanks guys for all the info and help they will be in good hands with jimmy white. billy