Register now to get rid of these ads!

Friction shocks, Calling all Track T builders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evt, Jan 3, 2011.

1. evt

evt
    from so-ore

I'm new at this posting thing boys so be easy on me. I've scoured the tech and existing posts but no info on friction shocks. I'm building a '23 track T with quarter ellipticals up front. I'm interested in building something like seen on the Zipper Motors cars but am not too sure about using aluminum. Would like to know what material to use for the friction plate. Are there any thoughts on number of discs needed. what tension spring to use etc...
    I have an album started at my personal info if any one is interested. I would love to see any other track T's out there. EVT :):confused:

2. designs that work

designs that work

Friction shocks can be made very simply. The set I made for the front of my modified have five pieces, I did not use a spring only a bolt and nylock nut to apply the pressure. All the parts are one quarter inch thick. First is a base plate I welded to the frame, because you are using quarter eliptics you might use your frame as the base. Next I used a hole saw to cut the friction material, used UHMW a plastic, cut two pieces. Friction material can be leather, brake or clutch lining or plastics of certain types. The hole saw size is your choice based on looks, probably should not be smaller then one and one half inch. Then cut the arm out of quarter inch plate. Finally cut a aluminum slug with the same hole saw. A three eights bolt holds it all together, the friction pad behind bracket, friction pad, the arm, friction pad, and aluminum slug. The rear view shows the original Hartford shocks. Good Luck DT

3. evt

evt
    from so-ore

Thanks DT. That's a sweet T you got there. I can't wait to see mine in paint. EVT

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friction material can be any of a variety of things and aluminum can always be painted or powder coated so it doesn't so aluminum like.