Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would like to see pictures of 1930's Dropped Chevy axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movin/on, Dec 21, 2010.

1. I'm getting ready to trade for a stock 1930-31 Chevy I-Beam axle and wondered what problems I'll run into to drop it about 2 to 3". I think that Chevy's have a long slanted drop but not sure how much so looking for pictures.

I'm planning to put this under a 60 Vette so I'll have to fab up spring mounts. Pretty sure I can adapt the cross-steer easily.

Are these Forged or Cast axles???

Movin/on

2. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

The Chevy axles are forged steel. They have a 4" factory drop. I would suggest you use a 41 and up axle instead of the 30-31. The 28-40 Chevy axles have .734 dia king pins and the 41 and up have .866 dia. king pins. It allot harder to find good brakes for the early axles with small king pins at a good price. The 41-and up have several different brake options. If you go to my web site www.droppedaxles.com there is a tech article about spindles that helps. I will also be posting pics and measurements of the early axles soon.

3. Thanks for the info. But I'm getting a 30-31 axle setup trading a Corvair front suspension for it. I'm thinking that I could somehow adapt to get a 5X4-3/4 Bolt pattern setup. I'm planning to put the axle under my 60 Vette. I want a dropped axle so I can keep the frontend down.

Movin/on

4. PLEASE post more info....i was planning on having a 32 chevy axle dropped next year...

5. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

I posted more pics and specs. of early axles on my web site

6. This is the one I took out of my '31

Attached Files:

7. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

I've got a 31 olds looks to be factory dropped 4" as well.
    Are they really forged, would be nice to know if I can weld it.

[​IMG]

8. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

The factory axle is forged steel. They can be welded on. You need to let them naturally cool don't cool them after welding.

9. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

Tis good to know sorry for the Hijack post but I want to weld a tab for new shock mount.

10. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

I actually bought a disc brake kit from these guys for mine. Have not installed yet but I hope to soon.
    http://www.braketechsolutions.com/chevy_disc_brake_kits

Also the drums I took off are available if you are interested but that would have the chevy 6 bolt hubs.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  11. dodgord

dodgord

i am in the process of puting brakes on my 30 axle. i have 52 chev pass car fronts and they are almost a bolt on! the top mounting holes are the same as is the centre spindle hole. you need to use the early inner bearing cup and the rest of the 49 - 54 brakes as a unit, even the spacers for the top bolts fit, the lower bolt holes need to be redrilled in the backing plates and spacers made,but other than that it is a very simple swap. im looking to get an axle dropped later in the year,but have also heard that a 50's tuck axle fits but has a stock drop that is already lower, any truth to this?

12. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

Also got a better pic.

[​IMG]